Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather forecast

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Brief summer it seems, weather is on the turn and I have to wait 3 weeks for a gas boiler check. Roll on shivering winter then Springtime again.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

The L/R forecast doesn't look brilliant.

I always used to go away with my mates in this week of the year. Everything used to close down after the bank holiday Monday and there were no crowds. We often used to catch a decent week of sun.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Autumn's definitely on the way - I've started to notice leaves changing colour on my lunchtime walks over the last couple of days.

It seems like we get 8 months cold weather in this country, and 4 months summer if we are lucky. What's happened to global warming !
    Last edited by margaret; 10-04-2023 at 08:54 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Global warming is a myth, Margaret. Yet another scheme to fleece people. Sadly, many are too easily led and fall for scam after scam devised by TPTB.

I bet when you were at school you were told we were heading back into an ice age? I know I was.

Scientists who claim they understand things are dangerous, as they rarely do, and most of their actions have unintended consequences.

Now, don't get me started on water shortages, over half the bl**dy planet is covered in water!

Greenland, and northern climes, may have warmed about 1200 years ago which is how the Vikings came to settle there, where hithertofor it had been too cold. But, if this is true, it seems the climate (which we must distinguish from the weather!) is on a thousand year cycle. We simply don't know whether there were such periods of warming in ancient times, but again this is very doubtful.
    What is pure bunk is the crazy idea that the industrial Revolution increased global temperatures by about 2 degrees Celsius. CO2 has half life of 120 years (which is short lived compared with ghastly radioactive isotopes). Oxygen is stable (I think it only has one isotope) so whatever is produced by forests remains, whilst the CO2 is constantly decaying. And even fossil fuels have a vector to sunlight, so even if there were more heat/sun this would increase absorption/Photosynthesis of biosphere, thus more oxygen.

It's a bit of a myth that the whole planet's going to bake over the next century. Many areas (eg the Indian sub-continent) are experiencing increased rainfall. Antartica is actually experiencing increased ice formation, although it is also melting faster.

In this country, a lot of long-term forecasts predict the British Isles will get colder, due to the Gulf Stream collapsing. Some studies have already shown it is slowing down.

I agree, Lex.
    An American commentator did a funny take on this a while ago.
    He imagines the con artists in a room imaging how they can get the global warming scam up and running.
    'we need a gimmick' one says.
    'I have an idea, why not show a polar bear on a broken piece of ice that is just floating away?'
    'Brilliant, brilliant!' says the other, ' with that photo shopping we can scam millions!'

Looks like it's going to be a sweaty few days.

We will soon be hugging our hot water bottles! So I am enjoying the present heatwave, more like summer should have been.

- Lord Byron.

Expect the global warming idiots to be out in force!