Thread: Another defeat for A.C. Lloyd

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Default Another defeat for A.C. Lloyd

These big developers don't care whose lives they bring misery upon.

Developers AC Lloyd were refused permission in February to build 200 homes on land off Chesterton Gardens.

But after making some changes the plans were resubmitted.

An appeal was also lodged with government which will be heard separately by a planning inspector.

Residents and councillors have objected to both applications and said the development would cause traffic and noise pollution.

Warwick District councillors last night turned down the plans for a second time.

https://leamingtonobserver.co.uk/new...a-second-time/
    Last edited by margaret; 20-05-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Great result!

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recall that objectors can now be landed with costs if their objection fails to win the case. Of course, this gives the developers the upper hand and explains why so many councils simply roll over and have their tummies tickled.

My bet is that this is only a temporary reprieve if the developers are serious.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

I think the situation might be changing.
    In general, as you probably know, since 1948 with the passing of the town and country planning Act the presumption is, you can get planning permission once you make a valid application. Now, this has been the position for many years. Amongst other things what meant was, when councils and groups etc. tried to object, though they might win initially, the developers usually hire QC's, in order to argue technicalities, the reason being that applications cannot be turned down for general reasons.
    What's happening now though, is that there is a huge groundswell pretty much everywhere of councils and people who simply want to stop developments, and for which there is no real provision in the legislation. I think this is really building up into a huge political issue. And many councils under enormous pressure to build new roads , infrastructure, they don't want to do and can't afford, sympathise with the objectors. Sooner or later this has got to translate into political and legal change. People have just had enough!

“I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

Unfortunately, (IME) money will always win the day.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

My area had a referendum on it's local plan at the same time as the local elections. The bumf basically said that any development will happen on green field sites, brown field sites & the occasional old building may be torn down to make way for new ones, and, by the way, green space is important for a healthy lifestyle. There were also plenty of vague statements about community, education, employment, tourism & high speed broadband.