Thread: Another Scam to be Aware of

Default Another Scam to be Aware of

Not had this, but I have had a few claiming to be from 'HMRC': https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...minute-3134431

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

What an absolutely feeble minded, obviously stupid scam.
    I suppose they phone random numbers hoping they have an Amazon account. Glad I don't
    Last edited by margaret; 14-02-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I think that's the crux of it. They dial random numbers, and give a load of spiel hoping they'll con someone.

I did have one scammer phone me on my work number a while ago who seemed to have put a bit of research into his con. He called me (from India, by the accent), quoting a random CV postcode, asking if this was correct & he was trying to help me. When I said that wasn't my post code and asked the reason he was trying to help, he (strangely) put the phone down.

I get clowns phoning me pretending to be Virgin agents telling me their is something wrong with my broadband speed or some such crap. I'm sorry, but they get a very rude response from me, it seems to be the only language they understand in any language.
    Last edited by margaret; 15-02-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    “I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagitated life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.”

- Lord Byron.

I feel I'm missing out! I've not had such a call for quite a while now.

If I had the time I used to love stringing these jokers along; it's amazing the patience they have for a befuddled old chap if they think they might get a 'kill'.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    I feel I'm missing out! I've not had such a call for quite a while now.

If I had the time I used to love stringing these jokers along; it's amazing the patience they have for a befuddled old chap if they think they might get a 'kill'.

Yes I know its true, they think they can talk the talk,
    but I don't let them walk the walk. I can't be bothered stringing them along.

What gives them away is they start by asking, politely ''and how are you today,'' gets my goat every time!

- Lord Byron.

I have had 2 such calls and they both wanted you to avoid dire consequences of not pressing 1 to make a payment. I disconnected the calls and informed HMRC.
    Cool