Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Island Cafe finally getting renovated

Administrator

Thumbs up Island Cafe finally getting renovated

I read in papers today, that the Island cafe is finally getting renovated after who knows how long. The estate agents involved expect 40 people to have looked at the place by the end of the first week!

It's going to seem strange not seeing that place closed and dilapidated for so long. I'd love to know how rich the owner is to not have cared about this piece of prime real-estate for so long.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--
    Your Friendly Forum Admin. - Contact me.

Not so fast my friends...'redevelopment' doesnt always mean what you think it means when you live in good old S-on-A, AND, I have to say that I always admired the mysterious Danny Redynak for the way he held out against the money-men, after all this is a free-country (isn't it?). For more on this please go to my blog.

...and Will, what do I have to do to stop being described as a 'new member'? Glad to see the site doing so well.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ronlyre View Post
    ...and Will, what do I have to do to stop being described as a 'new member'? Glad to see the site doing so well.
    Ello Ron! I think it's about 20 posts usually. However I could probably give you a custom title, 'The Stratford Strumpet'?
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ronlyre View Post
    Not so fast my friends...'redevelopment' doesnt always mean what you think it means when you live in good old S-on-A, AND, I have to say that I always admired the mysterious Danny Redynak for the way he held out against the money-men, after all this is a free-country (isn't it?). For more on this please go to my blog.

Stratford does seem to be caught in that trap of having no decent shops, but the same chains you see absolutely everywhere else. This is usually down to the rent being way too high, Stratford really does need to do something about this, it just can't compete with the likes of Birmingham & leamington for shops right now.

TripeHoundRedux

The River Cafe seems to have been dilapidated for most of my life. when I was younger I always thought it looked like a front location for a spy agency:

"Nothing to see here just some derelict building, move along now"

Every time I go to visit my mother it still looks run down. I'll be back next Friday, I'll be surprised if anything has changed.
    Last edited by TripeHoundRedux; 30-03-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Because correct spelling and grammar is our friend :)

Administrator

It has (gasp), got a new window on the front of it now, it still looks like a delapidated old building. The 'To Let' sign is still up though, so perhaps someone will come along and finish the job before long.

I'd love to know why the owner has hung onto it all these years, if he cares so little about it, why doesn't he just sell it?

Welcome TripeHound, where are you living these day?
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

TripeHoundRedux

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It has (gasp), got a new window on the front of it now,
    Oooh, Fancy!

it still looks like a delapidated old building.
    Ah well, see you get my hopes up and then that.

I live in Michigan now. Just outside of Detroit. Thanks for the welcome.

Administrator

Glad to have you with us. Detroit, that's quite a relocation. I'm interested to know how you found us now.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

TripeHoundRedux

Glad to have you with us. Detroit, that's quite a relocation. I'm interested to know how you found us now.
    You’re the top link on the Wikipedia page about Stratford. I was actually looking to see if there were pics of the last big flood. However, you know how it is with Wikipedia, you look for something then you click on a link and there you are in a completely different place than you thought you would be. Sometimes it's good, like this one and sometimes you go looking for, say an article on the Peterloo Massacre or something and after a few clicks you reading about Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood

Administrator

Heh very true. Ironically though, I do have some pictures of the flood on this site. Have a look in the gallery section, if you haven't already.
    --==Forum Admin Will==--

TripeHoundRedux

I haddn't but I just did, thanks for telling me . Perhaps I'll take some pics of the exciting developments at the River Cafe next Friday

Call me an old romantic but for me The Island Cafe has become symbolic, a representation of a stand against all that is soulless and immovable in this sad little town.
    I think the Council/Trust should cut their losses and move to Plan B.

Plan B:
    Make a fast buck.
    Note to chairman;
    Is it possible to claim a Shakespeare connection to this property? Re: hosting guided tours around its rapid disintergrating interior?

Since I arrived by covered wagon all those years ago I've seen nothing but missed opportunities perpetrated by the usual suspects or clones thereof.
    It's obvious to me as I reach the twilight of my life and take the short journey towards my final breaths that I'm not going to see anything new, nothing vibrant, nothing exciting that might bring the rest of the world to our doorstep with all that they have to offer.
    Looking at the future plans (through fading eyesight), I can just about make out the sign that hangs on the main road into town, it reads...
    Welcome to Clonesville. Population dropping..

Dexter

Yes i've thought about this myself...Nice to live in a society where the "rulers" can just come in and grab your property if what you want to do with it doesn't fit in with their plans..

That was his property. The property left to him by his mother and father..If he wanted to leave it empty as far as i'm concerned thats none of the "rulers" business..

Still in this environment laughingly called "a democracy" and a "free society" obviously if what you do with what you legally own doesn't fit in then don't bank on keeping it..

Since it has a food licence I will laugh my head off if it reopens as some world class fast food outlet or kebab shop!

Unregistered

I think the Cafe has got a pretty good location and it would probably do well as some sort of food outlet. Strange that it's still empty though, it has a lot of potential, but being Stratford it will most likely cost you a fortune plus a kidney... so it will probably be an empty ugly building with a pretty new window for a very long time to come.

Macky

Smile

It has been a while since anyone replied on this post, and I was just wondering if anyone had any updates on the Island Cafe? Just hoping it will be occupied soon by whatever really, I don't want to look at that empty grotty building any longer!

Mac