Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bumblebees - pollination - food chain

If you go to the Bumble Bee Conservation Trust website they have lots of useful information. Bumble bees do die, sadly, often after about 2 weeks of life. If you go to...

Scroll down until you find I'm seeing quite a few dead bees in my garden - is this normal?.

I hope that's useful for you and thank you for not getting rid of the nest!
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Hi All, I have noticed in the last few days a few bees flying in and out of a hole in the wall where our old garden tap used to be situated. I am pretty certain they are bees but actually not 100% sure. They do not have the menacing look that wasps do and are paler in colour with more rounded bodies than the usual wasp which have nipped in waists and are sleeker. I would leave them to get on with what they are doing except our 2 doggies have a habit of going for flying stingy things and one such incident last summer saw us making an emergency 'blue' light drive to our vet at 9pm at night because our Bulgarian rescue dog;Tiggi had reacted to the sting which made her throat swell and she was literally nearly at death's door.I do not want a repeat of that. Walks on these warm days are bad enough because they chase them through the fields.Anyway, does anyone have any pointers on how to tell specifically whether these are bees or wasps? I've looked at various sites and there are many species of both. Our local council will remove and destroy wasps but won't touch bee hives. I've tried a few bee keepers but they are currently out rounding up bees. Will keep trying but don't want to bring them in if what we have is a wasp nest.
    Last edited by Gladys; 18-05-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Dyslexia Rules OK!!!

Apparently, bees have been taking a bit of a knocking recently. I've planted some bee-friendly plants in my garden - mostly lavender & lupins - but they suffered during the rubbish summer last year, which meant out bee friends couldn't get a good feed. fingers crossed, we'll get a half-way decent summer this year.

I have no garden, however, on my balcony I have a trough full of lavender. I need to redo my hanging pots with more bee friendly flowers. I think that even if we have no gardens a few pots with suitable flowers will help our wee friends.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

I just heard a racket coming from the kitchen. I actually thought it was a helicopter flying low overhead at first but it was a huge ' Zeplin ' in a tiger striped fur coat. She's free now but how beautiful she was. I hope its warm enough for her and she is safely on her way to where ever.
    Last edited by Gladys; 17-04-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Should've posted this on the ' Another Bumble Bee Rescued' Thread

Neonicitiniods have been banned by the EU. I think this is a good thing, at least until it's proved one way or another that they're bad for bees or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22335520

Pillar of the Community

Good - I had 2 separate 'Zeplinbergs' in the kitchen yesterday, the Jack Russell was ' playing ' with one until it showed him that it was not amused. I managed to save it and put it on a leafy bush to recover. It didn't seem to have discharged its sting which is such a relief. When I checked on it 20 or so minutes later there was no sign so hopefully it flew off. However, I had to close the door on another contender this morning. Its great to see them but I wonder what the fascination is for them in my kitchen?

I've only seen one 'zepplin' bee so far this year. Hopefully a few more will start whizzing round my garden now the blossom's starting to appear.

Pillar of the Community

That's because they are all down here. I'll send them up.

Thanks - seen another one already!

Saw another one hovering around a plum tree in our garden last night. It was getting on for 8.30 & getting a tad chilly - it must have been really hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    That's because they are all down here. I'll send them up.
    Gladys, stop sending the bees; I'm being swarmed - literally!

Oooh... Much excitement. I was coming home from work yesterday and walking through the Co-op supermarket carpark which has trees with lots of blossom and I saw quite a few Queen bumblers working hard and that really made my day.
    Cool

Pillar of the Community

Oh Dear, the spell went wrong. Sorry Lex but I think word got out; they must like your plumb tree and Shizara's blossom tree. Since I sent them up your way, they haven't been seen here at all. At least my kitchen is quiet and zeppelin/hindenberg free;for the time being!

Whoops- I spoke too soon, Just literally closed the thread and heard an angry buzz in the kitchen. Sadly it wasn't a Bumbleberg but a speed mad lightening striker torpedo wasp. He was armed and dangerous. They are a nasty but necessary part of the food chain so for that reason I do not kill them. I find if you point and say sternly out aloud words like ' Get out, that way now, ' for some unknown and very strange reason they actually do it every time. Try it and see.
    Last edited by Gladys; 02-05-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Wasps

Well, the bees seem to have done a good job on the plum tree - weather permitting, I might get a decent crop this year! roll on the damson gin.

Pillar of the Community

Count me in Lex. We've seen lots of hindenbergs this weekend. I'm off to get the plants for the hanging baskets so they'll have plenty of flowers soon.