Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Brexit

My personal view is that there'll be either a massive turnout or a minimal one. I don't see a half-way house on this. Of course, it all depends on how the campaigns are presented but I think it might be difficult to see this other than a second referendum.

I'll certainly vote and Mrs R has a postal vote. Not sure which way I'll vote as yet though, I want to see the party campaigns and have a word with my local candidates.
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Pillar of the Community margaret's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    My personal view is that there'll be either a massive turnout or a minimal one. I don't see a half-way house on this. Of course, it all depends on how the campaigns are presented but I think it might be difficult to see this other than a second referendum.

I'll certainly vote and Mrs R has a postal vote. Not sure which way I'll vote as yet though, I want to see the party campaigns and have a word with my local candidates.

I must confess I never used to bother voting, but this time I really must and it will be for Johnson, as I think voting for Farage may split the vote. I just can't understand why those two parties can't get together and do this Brexit thing.

This is the info I'm seeing on FB..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by margaret; 30-10-2019 at 06:40 PM.

From FB.

Jezbolah confirms that he wants 3.4m EU nationals living in the UK to be able to vote in this election. Along with 16-17 year olds. Boris to pull bill if these amendments get in and pass.

The last Labour government tried that trick, basically to increase the Labour vote. It contributed to them being kicked out of power in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    The last Labour government tried that trick, basically to increase the Labour vote. It contributed to them being kicked out of power in 2010.
    They don't learn, do they? Have they worked out yet why the Brexit vote went the way it did?
    Last edited by rebbonk; 30-10-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Something a bit more cheerful is Bercow's last stance.

Boris

Can't say I've ever been much of a fan of Bercow, but it must be a very difficult job.

Looks like we're already being lined up to be fleeced...

BBC

Well, that's that. I'm still waiting for the economy to crash & society to descend into a post apocalyptic chaos of rioting, looting and murder.

It was very quiet round here. I was expecting a few fireworks, but... Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Well, that's that. I'm still waiting for the economy to crash & society to descend into a post apocalyptic chaos of rioting, looting and murder.

The filthy and despicable BBC reached a new low, even for that cesspit, when it had some individual on ( whom I thought was a Guantanamo Bay inmate), saying that the British have only stolen everything they've got from other countries so enjoy your Brexit.
    To add insult to injury to everything else the BBC do, they then take tax payers money and throw it back in their faces with their anti-western propaganda.

On the economy, we have never been in a stronger position to take advantage of what Prof Minford (the brilliant academic Brexiteer) calls 'the importance of being unimportant' in the global market.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    It was very quiet round here. I was expecting a few fireworks, but... Nothing

We did have one or two people letting off fireworks near us, but didn't go on too long,I think they were being mindful of folks with dogs.

The BBC really do seem to have a problem, don't they?

Default Brexit Bonus

Been having some discussion or argument with prominent Remainers on economic issues, post Brexit. A propos de that I thought I would get a few statistics on the UK economy. We really do have an extraordinarily efficient, nimble and productive economy. In manufacturing we all think of cars but that is almost quite small beer. We have vast publishing, printing, food, chemicals and Pharma industries which rival anything overseas. On the heavier side, and again not cars, we have behemoths like JCB, which are multi billion pound businesses. Tony Bamford, head of JCB, incidentally is a fanatical Brexiteer (and fell-out with his pal David Cameron over it)
    On the supply side new fields of oil and gas are coming on stream and Price Waterhouse say nearly 200,000 new employees will be needed, revenues are set to rise from 20 billion to five times that amount in a decade.
    London is the financial capital of the world leaving New York in its trail.
    Without question the reasons can be seen now why the huge power and potential of the UK are feared by the EU especially the Germans who have no natural resources and a hugely overinflated metal bashing industry servicing a bloated car market.
    This is a neat reversal of the situation of the 1970s when weak British govts begged the all conquering Germans to let us in.
    All the reaminers keep saying is - but it'll destroy our car industry! Really?
    Last edited by Mister H; 03-02-2020 at 05:43 PM.

The motor industry is a squeaky wheel: it gets noticed, mainly because everyone has a car and knows what they are. However, we're really no longer a major player and the likes of JLR have already deserted these shores for economies where labour is cheaper. - And those moves were nothing to do with brexit.

And let's not forget that the Germans lobbied for the law to fit catalytic converters to all cars when it wasn't necessary. We had lean-burn technology to hit emissions regulations, but they saw that as detrimental to them because they hadn't gone down that particular avenue and would need to fit expensive catalysts.
    Last edited by rebbonk; 03-02-2020 at 06:54 PM.

So, at the very best (or worst) the effect of Brexit on the car industry are neutral. You make an excellent observation on unnecessary regulations, entirely geared, as it were, to the economic interests of another country.