Thread: Forum Re-gig

Default Forum Re-gig

I've had a bit of a re-gig of the forums, making the 'Coventry & Warwickshire Groups' more prominent. However, I managed to lose the original Suggestions & Feedback forum in the process!
    What does everyone think, especially Margaret and Rebbonk, who made the suggestion?

rebbonk

I think it's a case of suck it and see.

Forums like this are forever evolving, trying things out is part of the fun. If things don't work, or people don't like the changes they can speak up and we can always revert to the former situation.

Bottom line here, don't be afraid of change.

Margaret

I agree, we can go by trial and error. I tend to think that sub forums get forgotten. ( Out of site, out of mind kind of thing) By way of a membership drive making the section more visible, hopefully it will encourage non members to join. There are lots of interesting topics.
    I remember in the early days of the forum, there was a photo gallery, where we could post pictures of things and places interest in Warwickshire, that seems to have disappeared.
    Last edited by Margaret; 19-11-2014 at 06:30 AM.

rebbonk

Following on from Margaret's idea, I pointed out that hosting pictures directly was likely to consume expensive bandwidth, so suggested that any pictures might be hosted on the likes of photobucket and then hotlinked to WOL.

What is bandwidth?

Quote Originally Posted by Finebyme View Post
    What is bandwidth?
    In computer networks, bandwidth is used as a synonym for data transfer rate, the amount of data that can be carried from one point to another in a given time period (usually a second). Network bandwidth is usually expressed in bits per second (bps); modern networks typically have speeds measured in the millions of bits per second (megabits per second, or Mbps) or billions of bits per second (gigabits per second, or Gbps).
    source
    Of course it'll fit, you just need a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    Following on from Margaret's idea, I pointed out that hosting pictures directly was likely to consume expensive bandwidth, so suggested that any pictures might be hosted on the likes of photobucket and then hotlinked to WOL.
    You can no longer use photobucket for free. I now use imgbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by rebbonk View Post
    You can no longer use photobucket for free. I now use imgbb.com
    Oh I see, I don't think I ever used photo bucket.

Apart from existing members, can visitors still log in after the forum re-jig?

Yes, guests can still see everything and if they want to join up they're welcome.