PDA

View Full Version : Which Fuses

margaret
10-06-2020, 05:35 AM
Ok fellows of the forum. Is it ok to use a 5amp fuse in a plug, when when it says on the plug 3amp? It is for the use of my laptop. Thanks.

rebbonk
10-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Yes.

It just gives you slightly less protection. Don't worry though, the laptop likely has fuses inside that will protect it.

margaret
10-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Yes.

It just gives you slightly less protection. Don't worry though, the laptop likely has fuses inside that will protect it.

Thanks Rebbonk, even though I don't understand about fuses.

.:o

rebbonk
10-06-2020, 03:09 PM
I can give you a whole day's lecture on fuses, if you want? LOL

margaret
10-06-2020, 04:09 PM
I can give you a whole day's lecture on fuses, if you want? LOL

Its good to have that kind of knowledge. :o I shall need it in baby steps.

rebbonk
10-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Its good to have that kind of knowledge. :o

I started my working life as an aircraft electrician. LOL - It all went downhill from there :) :) :)

margaret
12-06-2020, 11:57 AM
The fuses kept fusing, so my Apple laptop is now now in to have new batteries as the warning sign came up to Change batteries. It will be 5 days or so to get it done by our local chap. Meantime he has given me an old knacker to get by with, in the name of Dell Vostro 1015. It will do, but i had a job finding the slider bar to turn down the brightness of the screen, which I managed in the end out of sheer determination. The keys have no option on them to adjust brightness, how stupid is that! I had to get into god knows what settings and control panel, searching around in device manager, couldn't find anything. Then I looked at an unlikely option into Windows Mobility Centre, and there it was staring me in the face, and indicator to adjust brightness!

Now I shall have lunch!

rebbonk
12-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Sounds like your battery developed an internal short-circuit. Rechargeable batteries do that a lot. It often helps prolong their life if you let them run down and recharge them once a week or so. Leaving them on 'float' charge permanently isn't the best thing to do.

I hate Dell. Due to company policy I was forced into buying 25 machines from them. Not one lasted 12 months without problems, some even had 2 keyboards in that time.