PDA

View Full Version : Selling online

margaret
26-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Has anyone ever had success selling an item online?

:confused:

rebbonk
26-05-2020, 06:16 PM
I've never sold anything online, Margaret. TBH, I usually give things away or take them to the charity shop. But, I do know others that sell online, a friends daughter makes a very good living out of it. - She buys for pennies at boot fairs then resells on ebay.

margaret
27-05-2020, 02:00 PM
I asked because I am selling a piano. But worried about having to say where I live.

rebbonk
27-05-2020, 04:18 PM
It's always a risk, Margaret. Could you maybe sell to a local dealer or get someone like the Hasely antique people to take it and sell on commission?

I used to worry similarly when selling cars. I never had any problems, but I've always had big dogs.

margaret
28-05-2020, 07:38 AM
It's always a risk, Margaret. Could you maybe sell to a local dealer or get someone like the Hasely antique people to take it and sell on commission?

I used to worry similarly when selling cars. I never had any problems, but I've always had big dogs.

Hasely antiques? are they online only?

rebbonk
28-05-2020, 12:12 PM
Margaret, my apologies, it's Hatton Antiques. Looks like it might have changed hands, but possibly still worth a call?

Linky thing (https://hattonworld.com/shopping-village/shops/hay-store-antiques-interiors-vintage/)

Might also be worth looking around the Warwick shops too.

The last piano we sold was over 40 years ago. It was my granddads and there was very little by way of interest. IIRC, we let it go to a Nuneaton dealer.

margaret
28-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Ok thanks, Rebbonk. but the piano I'm selling isn't an antique though. It's a digital Yamaha, 6 years old. I have two piano's and want to sell one to make space.

rebbonk
28-05-2020, 04:13 PM
Is this interesting? They buy and a Yamaha is quite desirable...

Bonners (https://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/sell-my-piano.irs)

margaret
28-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Great thanks Rebbonk. I have pm'd them on facebook.. just waiting for a reply. I wonder if they take acoustic pianos only. not electric.

margaret
28-05-2020, 06:05 PM
Have now received a reply , they could only take it if part exchange for another instrument that I want. So I'll have to have a think. Wish I"d known before. :confused:

rebbonk
28-05-2020, 07:00 PM
There's always craigslist, gumtree or even eBay.

I guess it depends on the amount of money. That's one reason why I used to part-ex cars once I started buying new.

margaret
28-05-2020, 07:13 PM
I have an idea, I think I'll get a price from Bonner, there is something else I see that I would like as part exchange. The thing is I have two pianos and want to sell one for space. The one I\m selling is 6 years or so, and still in pristine condition, nice sound. I have the model above that one though. So maybe I could exchange for a portable that I could keep in a bag it would take up much less room. and can collapse the stand. So methinks that might just do for practice, keep It in another room. We shall see! :o

margaret
29-05-2020, 09:28 AM
OH, I got someone interested, from Piano for sale UK. facebook site. He came down from Derby and I sold it to him. He played it for a bit and was totally satisfied with the sound and quality. So thats it, a strange feeling when its gone, like saying goodbye to an old friend.

rebbonk
29-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Problem solved then. ;)

margaret
29-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Problem solved then. ;)

Yes, I couldn't believe it was so quick. He said it was his son's birthday. Nice guy though he wore his face mask though he said he was fine didn't have any coughs or colds. Anyhow, I still possess a good piano, still a Yamaha, I don't think I will ever graduate to a Steinway! How wonderful it would have been to have started piano when I was very young. But I shall pootle along just fine into my dotage. :cool:

rebbonk
29-05-2020, 04:36 PM
We all need a hobby, Margaret. Currently, mine seems to be doing various courses on the internet. Each one adds just that little bit to my knowledge.

margaret
29-05-2020, 04:52 PM
We all need a hobby, Margaret. Currently, mine seems to be doing various courses on the internet. Each one adds just that little bit to my knowledge.

Quite right Rebbonk, got to have goals , got to keep the brain cells crunchy and sparky. Says me who lapses into procrastination at times. But on the whole, it is a great feeling when your brain is engaged in something, and you feel it has been working and exercised. If you know what I mean. :p

Which courses are you following , Rebbonk?

rebbonk
30-05-2020, 01:04 AM
I've been doing psychology courses recently. I originally studied it in the late 70s, early 80s. Thoughts have changed a little.

I've done forensics, history of the RAF, shipwreck archaeology, antiques trafficking and a whole host of other things in the past. Basically, whatever interests me as I look through the catalogues. All in all, the quality of the courses has been very high.