PDA

View Full Version : Former Hospitals of Warwickshire

AMP
15-05-2020, 04:47 PM
One of the most famous old hospitals of Warwick being the Lord Leycester Hospital. A well preserved medieval building of 14th/15th Century England.

The ruins of the 12th Century St Michael's Leper Hospital and Chapel in the Saltisford area of Warwick. It is a pity it has not been renovated as it sits rather neglected.

Lex
15-05-2020, 05:06 PM
I've looked around the Lord Leycester Hospital - it's really interesting; the cafe's good too.

It's a crying shame the leper hospital's been left to fall into near ruin.

AMP
15-05-2020, 05:09 PM
The last pictures was the former entrance to what was the 1923 King Edward VII Sanatorium Hospital in Hatton which later became Hertford Hill Hospital by 1953.
Some of the main buildings remain on the site today converted into flats yet the rest of the site was demolished in the 1990s while other houses were built around the surviving buildings.

AMP
15-05-2020, 05:11 PM
I agree, I wish something could be done to save the leper hospital being such a rare building of its age. I have also been to the Lord Leycester Hospital and agree it is an interesting place and certainly worth visiting.

rebbonk
15-05-2020, 05:21 PM
A relative of mine was incarcerated at Hatton and died there. I tried to get the records of his stay and the reason for it but there was a block of records missing! Since then the law has changed, and even if I could locate the records I'd be long dead before they became public.

AMP
15-05-2020, 05:32 PM
A relative of mine was incarcerated at Hatton and died there. I tried to get the records of his stay and the reason for it but there was a block of records missing! Since then the law has changed, and even if I could locate the records I'd be long dead before they became public.

It is a shame that you cannot get access to the records as relation. I was wondering if you may be able to get a personal representative to obtain access under the Access to Health Records Act 1990.

rebbonk
15-05-2020, 06:48 PM
It's been a while since I looked into it (the early to mid-2000s is my best guess) but those I spoke to in the various archives were pretty certain that I'd not gain access. I might give it another try when lockdown eases and the offices are open again.

At the time I last looked into this, I had two relatives that could answer my questions, but both point blank refused, and took the 'secret' to their graves. - A deep dark family secret!

I do have a sneaking suspicion as to what it was all about and I suspect he was treated with ECT. But I'd love to know for real.

Lex
15-05-2020, 07:13 PM
There were some brutal treatments back then; it's quite nauseating even thinking about it.

AMP
16-05-2020, 06:41 AM
There were some brutal treatments back then; it's quite nauseating even thinking about it.

I have heard that the Hatton Hospital had a bit of a grim past.
Another Hospital that was very well known was the Warneford Hospital in Radford Road Leamington Spa. This hospital did not make it to being converted and was demolished in the 1990s to make way for new flats. There are some archive pictures of this Victorian building at least. It opened in 1834 and closed in 1993.
https://d23iiv8m8qvdxi.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1069-0.jpg