PDA

View Full Version : Coventry - Redevelopment

Leofric
27-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi,

Nice to see Coventry included - I know most people in Coventry still feel very much "Warwickshire" rather than West Midlands.

There's a lot of redevelopment going on in the City at the moment, but I personally think there's a long to way to go.

One that looks good is belgrade Plaza - www.belgradeplaza.com

There's also a similar sized development called "Park Court" near the station, and I've heard about something called "Godiva Place" that seems to feature two large towers.

Then, of course, there's Ikea, and the 2nd phase of the Phoenix Development...

I wonder what will happen to the idea of the 4th spire?

I just hope with all these apartment blocks (There're 2 14 storey blocks planned for next to Ikea, and a 17 storey block planned for the Butts) that they improve the shopping and other leisure facilities. Coventry needs some venues and promoters for live music!

Will
27-03-2006, 09:40 PM
HI Leo,

Welcome to the boards. Yes I think Cov is very much part of Warwickshire, especially since it is all but surrounded by it. :)

You know the one thing that I think would improve Coventry City Center (and this is probably easier said then done), is to get some more plant life in the City. This may have already happened in fact, it's been about three years since I've been to Cov.

I've seen the great work that has been done to regenerate Birmingham, and now I feel focus is turning towards Coventry. I hope this site will play it's part in raising awareness of what people want, if only in a small way. :)

Olive
27-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Leo,

What is Coventry in general like to live in? I've always been led to believe it's very run down, but I've got be honest and say I've never been to have a look for myself. How big is it too?

Simon
27-03-2006, 10:19 PM
When ever I think about Coventry, I think of two things. The first is visiting COventry Cathedral a child, which I have fond memories of. The second is my Granparents telling me about the second world war, the lives in Birmingham at the time but they said they could see Coventry as one giant burning fire. It's so hard to imagine living is such times.

I think it's that night which explains a lot of the brutalist buildings that currently reside in Cov. I hope the redevelopment includes doing something about those. :)

Leofric
27-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Leo,

What is Coventry in general like to live in? I've always been led to believe it's very run down, but I've got be honest and say I've never been to have a look for myself. How big is it too?

Coventry's classed as a "Medium sized European City." It's population is about 300,000 - about on a part with Leicester, Nottingham, Cardiff, Bradford, etc. (Although I have seen an "economic sub region" mentioned that has a population of 500,000+)

There's no "general" about it - the city cover's an area that's about 8-10 miles wide. The Southern areas, like Earlsdon, Canley Gardens, bits of Canley, Tile Hill village, Westwood, Stivichal, Finham, Green Lane, Cheylesmore are fairly pleasant - typical suburbia, in some cases, with Earlsdon being community with a strong identity and a popular selection of restaurants and pubs (Including the old Watchmaker's quarter in Chapelfields.) None of these areas are run down, and Kenilworth Road is a magnificent entrance into the city. Allesley Village is a wonderful preserved village on the Western fringes side of the city.

The Foleshill->Bedworth->Nuneaton corridor is one of the most deprived areas in the Midlands, though. Foleshill's main centre is a busy area with a lot of ethnic shops (And some great Sweet centres). However, these areas do look a bit run down. Much of Wyken and Walsgrave are huge sprawls of housing with very little character. Ball Hill is a thriving mini-centre in Stoke, which still retains some character. Some of the old post-war estates are pretty run down and not that great. Much of inner-city Hillfields is being redeveloped.

Compared to other cities, there's very little dereliction - a heap of ugly ringroad and a bland shopping precinct seem be the overriding opinion, but then again, the Cathedral Quarter is magnificant, and there are plenty of old medieval buildings dotted around - you just need to find them.

Culturally, there's the Belgrade Theatre and Warwick Uni arts centre, and a handful of city centre pubs that have music. The Herbert Art gallery has regular exhibitions. Pubwise, some very good olde world pubs (Windmill, Whitefriars, Inspire - in an old spire, and a few dotted around) and some newer 'trendy' bars & restaurants. Tin Angel on Spon Street does a regular music slot. Large leisure complex with clubs and cinemas, and the Colosseum in Hillfields features a lot of well known bands. Lacks variety, though, overall.

Shopping wise, it's pitiful really - no decent department stores, very few independent shops, but all the major chains. Not good for fashion or anything unusual.

I suppose it depends what you want - if you want to live in a more city based environment, then you won't get better than some of the southern suburbs - generally clean, friendly, but you'll pay for it. Very expensive in some places. The North East is a lot more built up, and the housing stock is generally tight packed terraced streets.

In many respects, it's no different to any other city. In some areas, it's doing better, especially in terms of unemployment and crime, which is relatively low. Culturally & aesthetically, it has some way to go. However, the new developments we're seeing all over the place should help.

I don't mind it, really.

Leofric
27-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I think it's that night which explains a lot of the brutalist buildings that currently reside in Cov. I hope the redevelopment includes doing something about those. :)

Quite a lot of post-war stuff has been demolished. In general, the trend is UPWARDS, with most developments being 16-20 storeys high. The council recently told Ikea to redesign their new store as it was too bland.

chillitt
29-03-2006, 11:16 AM
tile hill is fairly pleasant?????:eek:

Crunchie
29-03-2006, 03:41 PM
ooh yes - Tile Hill is Coventry's Notting Hill :D :D :D
Bl**dy awful place imho!!!:cool:

Leofric
29-03-2006, 11:33 PM
tile hill is fairly pleasant?????:eek:

As you seem unable to read, I shall re-iterate. I said "Tile Hill Village" which is on the border of Coventry/Solihull and is considered a fairly desirable semi-rural area. I did not say "Tile Hill" which covers a rather large area - including the rather notorious "Jardine Crescent" area.

chillitt
30-03-2006, 10:55 AM
apologies, i can clearly read, i can not believe there would be 2 tile hills...even if one is called a village. (calm down, dear..)

Leofric
30-03-2006, 06:06 PM
apologies, i can clearly read, i can not believe there would be 2 tile hills...even if one is called a village. (calm down, dear..)

It's only a commercial:-)

Before "Tile Hill" was built, there was indeed a village/hamlet called Tile Hill.

Similarly for Foleshill, Stoke, Walsgrave, Radford, Longford, Bell Green...There are about four "Stokes" and what is now called the "Centre" of Foleshill is quite a way from what was the old village. Similarly, Allesley was originally a village (Still there) but other areas are called Allesley.

cathidaw
07-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't agree that Foleshill is that deprived. It is old but thriving. The regenerated shops with their new fronts look very attractive and they have really gone to town with the lettering on the shop logos. Have a look when you go by--some of the calligraphy is beautiful.
The problem is that they are very mixed up with car hire firms and odd buildings dotted along the road which does not add to the 'beauty' of the environment so anyone passing through Foleshill Road sees a hotch potch of houses and buildings.
I really like the blue ribbon structure too at the big island pointing to the M6

I do quite a lot of shopping there- especially fruit and veg. parking is free and shops open late.

I also usually go to the sports centre to swim--Remember old Livingstone Rd baths anyone? freezin cubicles and the old mangle for wet swimsuits
. I learned to swim there centuries ago and it still hadn't changed muchuntil it closed last month for regeneration.
We have a lovely pool here in Bedworth but unless one gets up early to swim there the days are taken up with sessions for schools, clubs O.A.Ps.and suchlike--or maybe Iam sentimental about the other one. I hope they don't modernise it too much.

Madhatter
08-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Leofric stop saying my ringroad is a ugly heap. That ring road is the best inner city ring road in the world.
Well Perhaps not the worl but certainly in this country. Name One that gets round a CITY CENTRE as quickly and as smothley as that and has less congestion. That ring road is pure genious and should get recognition for what it is.
It's no point trying to say its not I've conversed about it to several professional drivers each on seperate occasions and they all say how wonderful it is.
It's also incredibly safe if poeple drive correctly, so safe infact they took the speed cameras back off it.

Foleshill, haven't been for a while but alwys looks run down to me. All cities have areas like it. Leicester is Narborough road in and the I think the A6? out up to thorn lighting.
Liverpool has a few roads like it edge lane goes from cafe's, restaurants, cinemas, to empty warehouses waste land then housing mixed with small run down shops. Smithdown road is another. Eigbeth drive another. Featureless ribbons of neglected shops mixed with housing and industry.
If these streets were given a freshen up, made a bit more tidier trendy like they are in london they'd become attractive havens of independant shops.
They all desserve a good glean, paint new signs shop fronts, new paths, lighting street furniture planters etc.
I'm not sure if its going but cov was running a survey called coventry inspires. It was all about ideas to improve cov

Personally I think this country is going down the pan, yes cov is improving in a lot of areas, so is Bedworth Nuneaton Atherstone, but I think its a losing battle because it's us doing it, the people not central government. Tax is took off businesses in these areas and not fed back in, any investment is got by local people, businesses and councillors fighting for funding and match funding. It's not getting better either, I've watched it get worse and worse over the last 5 years.

cathidaw
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Iagree about the ring road --it does what it is supposed to do, also if you take the wrong exit it's easy to get back on....not like Birmingham where you end up in Edgbaston if you miss the exit --at least I do!. tRYING TO GET TO THE REP CONFUSES ME I END UP sneakily GOING THE WRONG WAY ON THE ONE WAY EXIT.to get there.

Pity about Bedworth-
it's quite attractive now,with the alms houses and church and the lovely park, but the shops are rubbish for a shopping centre- 5 charity shops- 4 or 5 card shops, cheap shoe, and teenage clothes shops, Woolies and the usual chemists. In the slummy days when I first moved here ,one could buy anything, --there were some good shops and there was a decent street market3 times a week. Now the market is psuedo Victorian posh and tucked away-even the traders don't like it-what few turn up.
Maybe if and when Aldi opens more people will shop here. although Tesco is closing in a couple of years.

Leofric
09-03-2007, 10:50 AM

Sorry for being so abrupt...

Yes, there's a "Tile Hill Village" which is near Tile Hill station... It's quite a way from Jardine Crescent, which is what people generally consider to be "tile hill"... Much of Tile Hill is OK... Fairly average suburbia, with plenty of new houses on the edges.

Leofric
09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Leofric stop saying my ringroad is a ugly heap. That ring road is the best inner city ring road in the world.
Well Perhaps not the worl but certainly in this country. Name One that gets round a CITY CENTRE as quickly and as smothley as that and has less congestion. That ring road is pure genious and should get recognition for what it is.
It's no point trying to say its not I've conversed about it to several professional drivers each on seperate occasions and they all say how wonderful it is.
It's also incredibly safe if poeple drive correctly, so safe infact they took the speed cameras back off it.

Foleshill, haven't been for a while but alwys looks run down to me. All cities have areas like it. Leicester is Narborough road in and the I think the A6? out up to thorn lighting.
Liverpool has a few roads like it edge lane goes from cafe's, restaurants, cinemas, to empty warehouses waste land then housing mixed with small run down shops. Smithdown road is another. Eigbeth drive another. Featureless ribbons of neglected shops mixed with housing and industry.
If these streets were given a freshen up, made a bit more tidier trendy like they are in london they'd become attractive havens of independant shops.
They all desserve a good glean, paint new signs shop fronts, new paths, lighting street furniture planters etc.
I'm not sure if its going but cov was running a survey called coventry inspires. It was all about ideas to improve cov

Personally I think this country is going down the pan, yes cov is improving in a lot of areas, so is Bedworth Nuneaton Atherstone, but I think its a losing battle because it's us doing it, the people not central government. Tax is took off businesses in these areas and not fed back in, any investment is got by local people, businesses and councillors fighting for funding and match funding. It's not getting better either, I've watched it get worse and worse over the last 5 years.

The ringroad has been responsible for killing Coventry over the years, and it has cut off most of the roads into the city centre. It's widely considered to be a planning disaster...

Most other cities don't have ringroads like it for one good reason - they're a bad idea.

skydakini
25-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Hay all,

Have we forgotten to mention Paradise...an area of Coventry i was told in my first week was completely inappropriately named...but never made it there so no idea....do tell.....

hugs, Skydancer xxx:confused:

jj70
25-09-2007, 09:49 PM
From what i understand Paradise is in the Stoney Stanton Rd ( off Red Lane ) area surrounding the old GEC works, it was or probably still is a cheap property market area.

cathidaw
26-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Why did 'they' call these areas by romantic names, 'Paradise'--'Bermuda' (in Nuneaton) 'Paradise Street in Coventry==and they are the most depressing places. Maybe 'they' were disillusioned people and were thinking of ''Paradise Lost'
That also I thought most depressing

Paradise Street in Coventry was where all the doss houses were when Iwent to school-the men-always men-were turned out at 8.30 every morning and stood on the street corner til the time they were allowed in again. There were crowds of them--mixed up with the Salvation Army dossers from the hostel across the road who were also tipped out about the same time. . Now that is what is called charity
We kids thought it scary but exciting too. Winter was bad too. Not many had many clothes -sometimes they had blankets around them.or anything they could get.
Bermuda in Nuneaton was a deprived area too-cottages were built for the workers at Bermuda pit. Now it is becoming a desirable area--but the surroundings and approach to it are crummy.My son dug there in the late 90s(archaeologist) and some of the tales the older people told him were bad. Earth floors--well water--cold --damp--bugs--disease.
Paradise in Stoney Stanton Rd is --well, still dreary, and blink as you pass it and it's gone.
Yes Ithink the houses are cheaper.

jj70
26-09-2007, 06:11 PM
The Paradise area did actually have the old munitions works that became the GEC, so probably named that one mistake at the factory and everyone in the local area would be instantly in Paradise.

Leofric
30-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Hay all,

Have we forgotten to mention Paradise...an area of Coventry i was told in my first week was completely inappropriately named...but never made it there so no idea....do tell.....

hugs, Skydancer xxx:confused:

I lived in Paradise for a year as a student - it's the around the Stoney Stanton Road just after the "Police Station" on the corner (The one below the block of flats.) It's pretty rough, and looks even rougher these days, but seems to be dominated by some of the most awful retail parks in the city. Large slabs of white ugliness surrounded by car parks.

Best avoided.

The story is that areas of cities called "Paradise" are former red light districs. Hence the name. :)

Leofric
30-09-2007, 09:12 AM
From what i understand Paradise is in the Stoney Stanton Rd ( off Red Lane ) area surrounding the old GEC works, it was or probably still is a cheap property market area.

The old Marconi has gone now, I think, but yeah, that's the general area where Paradise was. Towards where Alfred Herberts was at the end of Stoney Stanton Road was Edgwick. There used to be a club called "Fatty Arbuckles" that was formerly a typical Edwardian pub for the local workers, but last time I drove past it was a huge apartment block.

I imagine it's pretty cheap - but it's all relative. Coventry isn't particularly cheap anymore. I occasionally dip into the property pull out and am quite amazed to see areas that I thought were complete dumps with houses up for sale for 120 grand - these are bog standard two-up two-down terraced. If you look for a terraced house in Earlsdon they can be up to 250K, with anything detached/semi being outrageous...

10 years ago when I bought my first house, you could pick up terraces in places like Hillfields and Stoke for 14,000!!! Now you rarely see anything for less than 80,000. I wonder how the hell first time buyers manage these days?

Xanadu2
25-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I imagine it's pretty cheap - but it's all relative. Coventry isn't particularly cheap anymore. I occasionally dip into the property pull out and am quite amazed to see areas that I thought were complete dumps with houses up for sale for 120 grand - these are bog standard two-up two-down terraced. If you look for a terraced house in Earlsdon they can be up to 250K, with anything detached/semi being outrageous...

10 years ago when I bought my first house, you could pick up terraces in places like Hillfields and Stoke for 14,000!!! Now you rarely see anything for less than 80,000. I wonder how the hell first time buyers manage these days?

My mum sold a 2 bedroomed bungalow in Styvechale just when prices started to go up in the 1980s. I can't remember the price she got, but it bought her a flat in Leighton Buzzard, which has a main raliway line to London pushing up prices. Coventry has one too, of course.

Mum's flat in LB was sold on her death and now I couldn't afford to live in Coventry even if I wanted to! So where did I find that I could afford to live in? In a part of the world that I used to love visiting on holiday from Coventry! :clapping: