PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Scraps Entrance Fees

Lex
05-05-2018, 06:46 PM
This is a fantastic move. Although this is generally seen as a necessary move by most Cathedral Chapters, I've never been a fan (even as a borderline atheist) of charging people to enter The House of God.

It's good to see that Coventry Cathedral is now in a position to scrap their entrance fee: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-44015735

rebbonk
06-05-2018, 09:55 AM
It should never have been introduced in the first place. I'd like to see the visitor figures and receipts for the period it was in operation.

Lex
06-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Apparently, visitor did drop when the fee was first introduced, but income increased.

margaret
25-11-2020, 07:13 AM
Just seen this. The people of Coventry or visitors to the area should never have been charged to look round the Cathedral.
When I lived in Canterbury they charged visitors to enter the Cathedral, but for the residents of Canterbury it remained free. That was around 30 years ago.
Canterbury Cathedral is of course a lot older, around 700 years old and costs millions to run and repairs.

rebbonk
25-11-2020, 01:24 PM
I'm not religious but I believe that no 'house of God' of any denomination should charge for access.

margaret
26-11-2020, 03:42 AM
I'm not religious but I believe that no 'house of God' of any denomination should charge for access.

They don't charge to get in on Sunday worship. Just donations in a collection box kind of idea. hahahaaa! thats one way round it. So perhaps visitors should go in then for a look around.
I once visited St. Paul's Cathedral in London and they had turnstiles and security , charging I think it was a fiver or so to get in. I objected and said, I don't see why I should pay to come into a place of worship, so they let me in, I couldn't believe they would concede so easily.

rebbonk
26-11-2020, 12:49 PM
I think they concede because they get many perks for being 'open'. From memory, they pay little or no council tax because they're an open house.