PDA

View Full Version : Boost for Foodbank

Lex
18-12-2017, 05:16 PM
It's great to see local businesses supporting the foodbank: https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/warwick-district-foodbank-receives-early-christmas-gift-1-8296344

rebbonk
18-12-2017, 08:13 PM
But should we need foodbanks in this day and age?

Finebyme
20-12-2017, 07:35 PM
But should we need foodbanks in this day and age?

People are very generous , but we really shouldn't be needing foodbanks.

Lex
20-12-2017, 10:29 PM
I suppose it's an impossible job in a lot of ways. There's a lot of opposition to the huge benefits bill, but there's also a lot of anger about letting people slip into poverty due to having their benefits cut.
Local and national governments are having to make cuts everywhere (although they don't seem able to deal with inefficiency & waste), although throwing money at problems doesn't seem to work - and Johnny Taxpayer will have to pay out for increases in funding anyway.
So, at the end of the day, it falls to organisations like this to sort the mess out. I suppose 'Call me Dave's' Big Society is happening after all.

rebbonk
21-12-2017, 10:25 AM
One of the biggest burdens on society is the mass of immigrants that have been allowed in that are net consumers rather than contributors to our society. Recent immigration has been bad for the UK in so many ways. But hey, most of those that promote it don't have to live with it and suffer the daily effects of it: yet!