PDA

View Full Version : New Theatre & Walkbridge

Sandman
23-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Is anyone else worried by this?

I admit the current theatre is pretty ugly in places, and definitely needs changing, but I'm very concerned about the kinds of monstrosities that Stratford Council is capable of dreaming up. I'm sure they are more then capable of creating something as hideous as the giant silver handbag now residing in Birmingham's Bull ring.

Now only that but they want to spend £2 million on a bridge to nowhere! We have enough bridges already, and unless they plan on building another stone bridge, I'm sure it will spoil the open look of the river. Not only that but it will be putting one of Stratford's oldest institutions out of business, the ferry which has diligently taken people across the river for decades.

Abbie
23-03-2006, 03:23 PM
You do raise a good point, where they want the bridge to reach is just a very large field of grass. Seems a rather wasteful way of blowing two million pounds.

Will
23-03-2006, 07:18 PM
I know what you mean, there seems to be a huge trend for councils to commission the most "trendy" design that comes their way. Which would be fine if the building wasn't surrounded by Tudor houses. I agree that anything other then a stone bridge is most likely going to look hideously out of place.

Another thing I can't stand is art for art's sake, it's everywhere now! When so many statues and modern memorials of various kinds, are stuffed into every spare nook and cranny, they all lose their iconic value. That's all just my opinion of course. :)

paul2006
23-03-2006, 07:42 PM
why not build a ramp on one side of the river, then all the boy racers can have a go at jumping the river in their sooped up Nova's. If they don't make it, the car is crushed!:p

Sandman
24-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Even better, we could make the bridge out of their cars. :)

I've heard today that the bridge is going to be designed by the winner of a competition in France???? If this is true it is an utter disgrace, not only do we not get any say in how our money is spent, we don't even get to have any input into what it looks like!

Will
06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty sure so many people don't want this bridge, I'm thinking of starting an online petition (something we can now do with the new host). It's highly unfair that people's opinions seem to be getting ignored.

chillitt
06-07-2006, 10:28 PM
but if they dont build the bridge, how will the theatre types get to the new wine bars shops and cafés that will be built on the other side?:rolleyes:

Will
07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Didn't know they had any plans for any, but I suspect they could probably just use one of the three bridges & ferry we already have.

Will
15-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I've been following this story, and it seems in-spite of increasing opposition, the powers at be, are showing no signs of backing down. The 'World Class Stratford' project seems to becoming increasingly under fire.

Sandman
16-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Heh, tell me about it. World class Stratford is a joke, look at the new office block that's been built by the leisure center, which is now affectionately known by locals as 'Stratford Prison'.

Will
16-08-2006, 08:37 PM
There's a news article available about this now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4797635.stm

Will
17-08-2006, 06:32 AM
Well I saw the design proposals for the bridge this morning. One of them looks no better then the walkways you see spanning motorways, and at least two of them clash hidiously with surrounding area. There are two which are in fact quite nice designs, one even has a few natural materials such as wood.

They all have one thing in common though, they all utterly destroy the scenic view many of us know and love. I really must get in touch with James Phillpotts and see if he and Stratford Voice can make use of this forum.

Will
17-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I've just made good on that; just had a very interesting conversation with James Phillpotts regarding this issue. I won't go into details though, as I'm hoping he will be able to do so himself before long. His response to the idea of the site was very encouraging, and I think we may be able to help each other out.

I won't say any more then that until he gets back to me next Tuesday.

Milly
18-08-2006, 08:44 AM
I thinks it's awful that they could even consider destroying such a wonderful stretch of the river. They have three bridges going across the river already, why do they need another one?

It will be one of the biggest mistakes ever, and they won't be able to reverse it. I really hope they see sense, and don't destroy this beautiful stretch of river.

Madhatter
19-08-2006, 02:56 AM
I saw this earlier on narrowboatworld.com They seem to be asking which design, and aren't asking if it's wanted in the first place. All of those designs are awfull anyway, whats wrong with a traditional stone or brick bridge. Although I suppose that would create a wall where as a metal bridge is more transparent because it's less solid.
Consultation plans to knock theatres down, 2 million pounds on a bridge, county council really have lost the plot now, and yet again it's south county getting the money. Why don't they spend it on pedestrianizing the town centre here, we're being choked by cars.

Will
19-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I remember years ago, they had grand schemes to pedestrianise Bridge street, it never materialised though. It seems a safe assumption that the real reason for the bridge is for better access to the car park. I've also head people speculating that all the open land on that opposite side of the river, would make great retail and housing land. Not only would we lose the beauty of the river, we'd lose all that open green land too. I hope at least it's just speculation.

Reggie
19-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Isn't it wonderful to see people finally taking a stand against their councils! For too long now we've let them deteriorate out lovely town with one crackpot scheme after another.

This bridge and any subsequent building work following on from it, will further destroy the natual beauty of our town.

Will
03-09-2006, 01:17 PM
For people interested, here's a link where you can make your comment about the bridge, to Warwickshire Council.

www.warwickshire.gov.uk/stratfordbridge (http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/stratfordbridge)

And here is the email address to write to directly.

stratfordbridge@warwickshire.gov.uk

Madhatter
04-09-2006, 07:11 PM
You're joking, all you get from WCC is an uatomated reply promising a more detailed reply from the appropriate depatrment that never arrives. They are useless.

Paul
05-09-2006, 07:57 AM
You're joking, all you get from WCC is an uatomated reply promising a more detailed reply from the appropriate depatrment that never arrives. They are useless.

It's fun to be cynical, but not very constructive in this case. If people don't use this opportunity to protest, they won't have a leg to stand on further down the line.

I would urge anyone who cares, to make sure they fill in the online survey and register their objections.

Miss Annaphylactic
06-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, I am not totally disagreeing with everyone's comments (my, my, I do seem to be devil's advocate on this site!!), I do feel that the bridge is in many ways a pointless and very expensive addition to the town.
I am not however so worried about the effect it is going to have on the famous view of Stratford... i.e. from the foot bridge looking up the river over the swan island, to the theatre...
This was my inital worry, as it is such a picturesque view, but at a breakfast meeting (think it was a Town Management Partnership one - I must remember to try and get Andrew Cooper to join this site!) we were shown a slide of the exact location... from the bridge you will barely see it - it will be erected around the bend in the river so won't get in the way of the current views. You might see a few feet of it if you look hard, but it will be in the distance and unobtrusive from this vantage point.

Madhatter
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
It is constructive, maybe they'll read it and realise that people actually expect a reply when promised one!. WCC think Warwickshire ends at Rugby though so can't expect anything else, All Nuneaton Bedworth Coleshill and Atherstone mail probably goes in the junk mail folder.

I do urge people to make their comments known though, I don't think such a modern structure has any place at Stratford, especially after seeing the chrome monstrosities at london across the thames.

James1
10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
It's clear there is only one reason for this bridge getting built, and that is to provide easy access to the car park across the river. It is utterly useless in every other regard, simply because there's nothing on the other side of the river! If people want to go to the wreck, the park in the wreck car park! This is such a waste of money when there are so many other things in Stratford that require attention and money.

Will
03-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm bumping this message to the top, as it looks like Stratford Voice's leaflets are going out, and I want people to be able to see this topic. :)

Madhatter
03-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Yet to meet anyone who actually thinks it's a good idea.