PDA

View Full Version : 22nd June Safer Banking Event in Leamington Spa

Pete
20-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi there everyone,

I work for Warwickshire County Council in the Community Safety team, and I thought that users of this forum might be interested in an event that we are putting together this Thursday, in partnership with the Warwickshire Distraction Burglary Group and the Coventry Building Society.

The event is free, and looks at methods of electronic banking, from chip and PIN terminals through to internet and telephone banking. It also tackles the subject of coerced transactions with a short dramatisation, what to look out for on cash machines and how to safeguard yourself against identity theft.

Experts from the Coventry Building Society will be present alongside Warwickshire County Council, Victim Support, Neighbourhood Watch, Age Concern Warwickshire and Warkwickshire Police to discuss what banks are doing to combat electronic financial crime and some of the safeguards they are putting in place.

Running order of the day

09:30 - Beware of doorstep callers...don’t get taken for a ride to your
local bank!
Warwickshire Trading Standards will tell you how to combat against doorstep
callers

10:15 - Electronic banking – unravelling the mysteryA ‘how-to’ guide from the Coventry Building Society

11:00 - Cash Machine Crime & Identity Theft
Warwickshire Police and Warwickshire County Council offer advice and
guidance

11:45 - Coventry Building Society - tackling financial crime
Find out how the Coventry Building Society tackles electronic financial crime

Those attending the event will be able to participate in a free raffle to win one of five personal shredding devices, which can help safeguard against Identity Theft.

For more information on the event, please either call 01926 746801, or send an email to communitysafety@warwickshire.gov.uk.

If you are mobility impaired, and would like to request free transport to and from this event, then Roger Lee, in partnership with Age Concern Warks, can help on 01926 311101 or 07967 393862.

Hopefully I'll see some of you there..!

Pete

Will
20-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you Pete, I think that's a brilliant idea and certainly think doing similar events elsewhere in Warks can only be of great benefit.

Where abouts in Leamington will it be?

Will
20-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh also, I have some leaflets for the website, is there anyone I can send them to so they can hand them out? Especially now that we have updates from the police on the site.

Pete
20-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Will,

Thanks for the good feedback - it's great to see..!

The event will be held at the Town Hall in Leamington Spa, and I can send you over some electronic leaflets / posters if you let me know your external email address via mine?

Pete
21-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Following on from my first post, information on this event will be available by mid-morning over at the Warwickshire County Council website (http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk) in the features section (the page is currently down due to server problems).

Once the page is online, you will be able to read a little bit more about the event, and download a pdf flyer / poster with more information.

After the event is over, keep you eyes posted to the same page, as we will have an update on how the day went, plus a link to one of the 'tutorial' videos that we will be using tomorrow.

Pete