PDA

View Full Version : Hosepipe Bans

Simon
20-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I can't remember the last time we had one, I think it was at least 15 years ago. I thought we'd had plenty of rain, guess I was wrong. Not been a good year for the utilities, gas gone up, electricity going up, hosepipe bans. WHat next I wonder?

paul2006
20-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Well Simon, i've read somewhere ,that Rockets are going up next week.!

Will
20-03-2006, 06:48 PM
You can't help but feel this is the shape of things to come, I imagine we're going to see more and more water shortages in the future.

Abbie
21-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I don't think it will be too much of a big deal. Ok, so we're low on drinking water, but it's still usually more then wet enough to keep our gardens growing. Only thing that will effect me is I can't use the hosepipe for rinsing my car.

chillitt
21-03-2006, 09:25 AM
quite right too. its about time these dangerous things were banned. how many people have to end up in hospital after tripping over them? i heard the other day someone was robbed after they were threatened with a length of hose. there is no place for them in a modern society, and the sooner they are banned the better.

Shizara
25-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Having lived with tank water - for those that don't know this means a big tank with a downpipe from the house roof collecting rainwater - yes and possum and bird poo etc. - You learn to be thrifty with it during the summer months because sometimes there is a drought....eg not running the tap whilst cleaning teeth, just wet brush and rinse mouth after. Not using all cycles on the washing machine ie bigger loads and one rinse. Using the waste water from kitchen and washing for the garden, showers not baths etc.. makes a huge difference and saves having to pay for a water tanker to bring water in.

Will
26-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Did I hear right on the BBC2 (That programme with the ex-royal engineer making the most eco friendly house possible) that if everyone had a rain water collector, there would be absolutely no water shortages of any kind?

Shizara
26-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Well.. it isn't rocket science when you realize that most rain water runs off the roof and into stormwater drains and much will go onto the land. Britain has a huge population and the demands on resources are very high. To a large degree the world has become a "throwaway society". Few things are meant to last which means they are thrown away in some manner and replaced thereby keeping people in employment manufacturing replacements. I guess a similar thinking is applied when it comes to a precious resource such as water. "There is plenty more in the tap." Am all for rainwater though am used to it coming from a rural environment which, theoretically has less acid rain etc. It certainly tastes different when you make tea/coffee and you don't see the oil slick that you sometimes get with town supplies via the tap. We didn't have chemicals added to it to make it potable, in fact the only filtering was a gauze filter for solid matter and it wasn't back in the dark ages it was about 8 years ago that I lived on a farm. However, even if rainwater here was used mostly for watering the garden and washing purposes then much in the way of savings on the tap supplies would be made.