PDA

View Full Version : Pub to Close

Lex
18-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Another possible blow for Nuneaton: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Uncertain-future-Nuneaton-pub/story-29288148-detail/story.html

rebbonk
19-05-2016, 10:22 AM
That's a little bit of a naughty article. The pub's going up for sale, not necessarily closing.

The problem with pubs is that they're in a declining market. They can't buy from the brewers at a price below what the supermarkets sell at, so the customer goes where...?

I really think the demise of the pub is a blow. At one time they were the focal point of many communities.

But, as I said elsewhere on these boards, household finances are weakening, and beer/entertainment is usually the first thing to go under these circumstances.

Lex
19-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Sadly, pubs are slipping down my list of my priorities as I have to keep the lights on and the fridge stocked up.

rebbonk
20-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Sadly, pubs are slipping down my list of my priorities as I have to keep the lights on and the fridge stocked up.

And that is the reality.

I still hit the pub 4 or 5 times a week (when it's open!) but realise that I'm in a minority. Seeing young families in pubs is becoming very rare.

Lex
21-05-2016, 05:16 PM
I still try to go to my local once in a while, if only for a quiet pint or 2 - every little helps, as the tag line goes.

rebbonk
21-05-2016, 07:06 PM
There are two pubs close to where I live. When we moved her 25 years ago there were 5. As the demographics of the area have changed, so too has the need for pubs. (Of course, financial squeezes also add to the problems and most properties around me are heavily mortgaged.)

I only use one of the 2 pubs, mainly because I simply don't like the other one. However, with my favourite keep closing as tenant after tenant goes bust it's quite apparent that there's only really room for one pub these days. As both pubs are owned by the same pubco, I doubt it'll be too much longer before they pull the plug on one and realise their capital from the sale for development.

Trouble is, once these pubs are gone, they're gone!

Lex
24-05-2016, 08:14 PM
The Weatherspoon's in Rugby's closing as well: http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/local-news/jd-wetherspoon-to-close-the-lawrence-sheriff-in-rugby-1-7392981

rebbonk
24-05-2016, 10:34 PM
For some reason that story isn't coming up. But Weatherspoons seem to be selling off quite a lot of pubs at the moment. Forgive me for being cynical, but I somehow doubt they're selling off the profitable ones.

Lex
26-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Yes, I think they're getting rid of 36 pubs in all.

Lex
01-08-2016, 06:42 PM
The Felix Holt has had a reprieve, due to the other Weatherspoons pub being closed down: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/pest-ridden-nuneaton-pub-will-not-re-open/story-29572802-detail/story.html

rebbonk
01-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Well, I was advised tonight that our local is changing hands again. I'm truly sorry that this couple have been forced out by Enterprise Inns. In all of the years I've used the pub, the departing couple are the most honest, friendly, and genuine people I've ever met. May the fleas of 10,000 camels infest the offices of Enterprise Inns. :(

Lex
01-08-2016, 10:17 PM
The big pubcos are definitely part of the problems pubs have been experiencing over the last few years. Due to the high rents and stupid prices they force their tenants to pay, pub landlords have no hope of attracting customers back from retailers who are able to sell alcohol on the cheap.