PDA

View Full Version : The decline of bedworth

cathidaw
20-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Today -Saturday market day - -I went to Bedworth market-the first time for a year owing to my foot operation.There were two stalls and a couple of car boot stalls.I asked one man where the market had gone-had it closed early or something.He pointed to the Asian clothing stand and fruit and veg and said."These two are the market"
And the shops - well what a load of tat.
When I came here many years ago it was a crumbling but thriving town.then they rebuilt it and took the market off the street, building iton the far side..it declined a little. .Then the council decided to give us the usual Victorian style indoor market, and for a few months when it was being constructed, once again the town was busy because the market was temporarily in town centre. When they moved it to the new place it started to decline again and costs were high It has always only opened two and a half days a week. The Victorian style 4 sided large clock--which cost a mint, is on the inside of the roof so if anyone wants to know the correct time you can do so on Tuesday mornings or all day Fridays and Saturdays.
W H Smith complained about the street market to the council, and a few months later--it seemed when they'd got their way, they moved out of Bedworth. It seems that with a good market which brings people here,the shops thrive too
Things we cant get here.......Shoes,good clothes and hardware, electrical goods. No bookshop or toyshops.
Things we can get...... Food, meat (,only one butcher now) cakes, cakes, and more cakes,.cashpoints banks, some building societies,estate agents, and of course plenty of pubs and charity shops.
We have a 3 million pound -part time- police station and a grand - part time - Civic hall.
We are rich with supermarkets but that hasn't helped the small shops either - which have nearly all gone.
I don't get annoyed any more -just have a little smile when a bit more of our
history disappears. No use crying is it?.Councils dont listen-or care.

rebbonk
20-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Sad isn't it?

Like you, I remember the good days in Bedworth. We used to do a lot of our shopping there because it was easier than Coventry. But as you rightly observe, there isn't a lot to attract customers these days. - Even the supermarkets don't work for me.

Street markets don't figure in the scheme of things, largely because our councils are too pig headed to listen to what the people want; plus it requires a modicum of brain power to work out through routes for cars etc. We really are our own architects of destruction when it comes to our city centres.

But seriously, take a look at the makeup of any local council. How many of the elected representatives actually have any qualification/experience to do the job? How many have a vision of what the future ought look like? Sometimes I despair at what passes for democracy in this country.

cathidaw
20-09-2015, 02:25 PM
You are right as per usual rebbonk, just look at the councillors. Many have been here for years with their stuck in the mud minds and resist change and new ideas.There is so much animosity between them for which they'd die before admitting.
I had quite a lot to do with the council when I first came here, but when it became impossible to dare even voice an opinion they didn't like, they closed up in force. Too much nepotism in those days. Now I keep quiet and out of it.
Big talkers they were - out for glory in a tin pot town, and it appears -still the same, only more so with Nuneaton combined.
They should be changed every 5 years I believe , and like a parking sign-not allowed back before a certain length of time.