PDA

View Full Version : D. Di is back!

rebbonk
27-07-2015, 05:46 PM
D Di's ice creams are FINALLY returning to Warwickshire

A new ice cream parlour opening in Leamington has a close connection to a historic local ice cream family.

A traditional Italian ice cream parlour is set to open its doors in Leamington for the first time on Saturday, July 25.

Local Rag (http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/whats-on/food-drink-news/d-dis-ice-creams-finally-9621010)

I missed this one!

I must try this when I'm next over that way. I remember D.Di from when I was a nipper; absolutely lovely tasting ice cream.

cathidaw
28-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I must go there and try it out..I'm sure my sister would like a trip to Leamington--I can't drive yet.
I too remember D.Di's ice cream.One of their vans was on a site where Sainsburys is now in Trinity Street. There was always a war between D.Di's and Victors who had premises in Much Park Street.When I waited for the bus I often saw a little man trundling a massive block of ice up past the Gaumont cinema on the way to Victors.I often wondered why,and thought it odd in the days of electricity.It came from -I think- an abbatoir in Freeth Street-long gone.
I wonder if the taste was just a dream. Must find out!

Shizara
29-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Has anyone come across an ice cream parlour or van that does choccy dipped ice cream? I have found that some say they can't for Health & Safety resons.. OK, but the chocolate in a bottle works just as well, squirt it over and sets hard. Part of the fun then is if it is a hot day, the ice cream starts to dribble out at the bottom of the choccy and your tongue has to work overtime.. The next piece de resistance is to carefully get bits of the set choccy off the ice cream but also watch for the leakage. Finally, with the choccy gone and ejoyed you get down to licking the ice cream. Magic! Chocolate dipped ice cream anyone?