PDA

View Full Version : VE Day 70th Anniversary

Lex
06-05-2015, 09:53 PM
On Friday, please take a few minutes away from the excitement(!) of the election to remember those who sacrificed themselves for our freedom: http://www.warwickcourier.co.uk/news/local-news/facts-you-need-to-know-about-ve-day-s-70th-anniversary-1-6721375

rebbonk
06-05-2015, 10:20 PM
I was reading earlier today that many youngsters don't even know what VE day is.

Lex
06-05-2015, 10:39 PM
I read a similar story in the Daily Mail this morning - they emphasised the 4% who thought Tony Blah won the war, and barely mentioned the 62% who thought Winston Churchill won.

rebbonk
07-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Of course, the war didn't end on one particular day and VE day was only the (official) end of European hostilities. Once it was all over there came the massive job of repatriating military and POWs. That in itself caused massive problems, not only with the physical logistics of it all, but the fact that may were returned home to countries that couldn't feed them. (In the UK bread was further rationed in order that we could help feed Germany. - I bet that went down well!)

Then there were further post war atrocities (rarely mentioned) such as the Allies sending 32,000 Cossacks to almost certain death by returning them to Stalin. And that included civilians!

Despite what we're taught and what we see in the movies, war isn't a nice thing.