PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr

rebbonk
11-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Really not my day.

The postman delivers the mail, 2 out of 3 items are not for me, but houses in another street!

The one item that is for me is the council tax and they no longer supply payment slips! Yet they still threaten prosecution if they don't get their money on time! They haven't properly explained where my taxes are being spent either.

Just had a phone call (bogus) from my internet provider trying to extort money from me for non existent viruses on my computer. - He got very short shrift and learned a few new English words of Anglo-Saxon derivation.

My blood pressure is up now, I think I deserve a few afternoon pints. :D:D:D

Margaret
11-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Just had a phone call (bogus) from my internet provider trying to extort money from me for non existent viruses on my computer. - He got very short shrift and learned a few new English words of Anglo-Saxon derivation.

Bet your language wasn't as blue as what I had to say to those pretentious pc virus technicians, I leave them speechless then quickly hang up! heh heh heh!

I haven't had any such calls for some time. No blood pressure, just pure satisfaction.

rebbonk
11-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Margaret,

As soon as I get a deeply accented Indian sounding voice telling me his name is Tony (or similar) I launch into some good old fashioned engineering language. As you say, it stops them dead in their tracks.

My other tactic (depending on my mood) is to string them along for as long as possible, by pretending to be a silly old technophobe who is in the early stages of senility. They usually end up telling me to f**k off. - Not nearly as inventive as I am with them! but then again, I was taught by experts as an apprentice. Another reason Lex!

Mrs Rebbonk caught the end of today's tirade and said, "I bet you're off their Christmas card list!"

Lex
11-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Another reason Lex!

Oh, I've learned plenty of expletives in the job I'm in!

Shizara
16-05-2015, 03:29 PM
To say that cold callers are a pain the the proverbial is an understatement. I have some that call my work mobile on a regular basis telling me about an accident I had or assuming I have some PPI to claim for. I rarely use that phone and when I do all calls to and from are work related so the only way they could get the number is by buying lists from someone. I find that the start of the conversation begins after you answer and it is automated which takes away the pure pleasure of hanging up on them or giving them the heave ho verbally. The other lot I find annoying are the aggressive charity canvassers that stand in the street and try to engage you in a conversation by walking up to you so that they are difficult to avoid. You know where the conversation is going to go - to a sign up to pay an amount of money every month by direct debit. When walking down Corporation Street in Birmingham don't assume you can escape by crossing the road... Noo, they are too clever for that one and have others waiting in on the other side. I like to choose my charities not have them thrust at me in a hard sell. Try saying that you know about them and would prefer to have a look at their website when you get home... They have an answer for that too and pull out an iPad or similar device and offer to let you sign up there. I know charities need donations to keep them going but I don't like having to do the avoid_the_hard_sell_two_step to avoid them. I have an amount that my budget allows for charitable causes and to give to another one requires either reducing the amount each get or having them take turns ie ... these ones this year and those ones that year.

Interestingly, it is the hard sell phone calls that are more frequent. Sometimes they even come up with landline phone numbers, otherwise once you spot the prefix number you don't bother answering.

rebbonk
16-05-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't give to charity these days. Most of the money collected goes to pay the executives or the churner's commission.

I had a friend who ran a pub. She was asked if she'd allow a box on her bar to collect for the blind. She readily agreed. A few months later the collector let slip that she was allowed to keep (I think) 50% of what she collected! The box was removed there and then.

cathidaw
16-05-2015, 06:53 PM
I just say No.and put down the phone.The ones I can't stand are the charity do-gooders with their 'soulful'voices trying to put me on a guilt trip. I immediately put down the phone. Sometimes they think they've been cut off- and try again.

Margaret
16-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Just recently in the news, this kind hearted old lady was hounded to death by charity organisations relentlessly pestering her. Poor old dear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11605549/Britains-oldest-poppy-seller-found-dead-in-gorge-having-been-hounded-by-cold-callers.html?fb_ref=Default

I used to receive about 20 charity letters a week at a previous address I lived at. Nearly drove me mental.
I think once you give to them, they pass on your details to others and they hound you to death, even if you write and ask your name to be removed from their pestering list, they still send letters. A few I personally dealt with some by phone, and that donkey sanctuary one was just ridiculous. Thank goodness I hear no more from them. Now we get all the charity bags shoved through our doors, I just used them as rubbish bags.
I hope I don't sound mean spirited but there is a limit as to what folks can give. there's a couple I do give locally.

Shizara mentioned her mobile phone, I had the same rubbish callers and changed my cell phone number, but I dare say they will catch up and find the new number.

Lex
16-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I have some that call my work mobile on a regular basis telling me about an accident I had or assuming I have some PPI to claim for

I've received several cold calls recently asking about accidents my family and I have recently had. I tell them that it's been several years since any of us have soiled our underwear and hang up.