PDA

View Full Version : Investment in Nuneaton

Lex
09-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Some money is finally being thrown at the town: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Big-announcment-Nuneaton-town-centre/story-25831774-detail/story.html

rebbonk
09-01-2015, 05:17 PM
... the council raised with SJI its desire to attract quality retailers such as Marks and Spencer...

Unless I'm losing my marbles (a possibility!) M&S were in Nuneaton until quite recently.

Lex
09-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes, I'd heard similar (via Shizara/Cathidaw?) If big players like M&S, Tesco & Sainsbury aren't expanding, and in some cases,contracting, only the 'up-and-comers' like Aldi and Lidl would be interested.

cathidaw
09-01-2015, 11:14 PM
The trouble is, they get the money and come up with crazy ideas.The shops change hands so quickly,and they haven't sorted out the reason yet. Couldn't possibly be the rents could it?
One idea, last time they received money was to have a monorail service to get more people coming from Coventry-to Nuneaton with a stop in Bedworth.
I don't go to Nuneaton often, but I'm quite sure that anyone getting off here-Bedworth- would only do it once.The town looks ok but there's nothing much here except banks and a plethora of good charity shops, even though sometimes it's cheaper to buy from the market. And -doesn't a proper town have a shoe shop--we dont.
That idea died a quick death, but how much did it cost in council hours-spending our money,adjourning and adjourning as they do discussing it. All those refreshments and coffee sessions.
I will admit to clean roads, no stray dogs and an excellent refuse service, and the council employees are polite, with real people answering promptly when we need them...so it's not all bad...