PDA

View Full Version : Blocked sink

Margaret
30-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Bah! my sink is blocked.
I tried the plunger, for about a half an hour, then I resorted to put caustic soda, down, still didn't work.
I managed to get a plumber for tomorrow around lunch time. So I can't wash up the dishes at present.

:(

Lex
30-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Hope you get it sorted quickly Margaret!

rebbonk
30-10-2014, 09:53 PM
I always have a flexible strip for these events. I can't remember where I got it from, but it wasn't expensive and has paid for itself times over.

If the plumbing is plastic you can often disassemble it yourself and wash the obstruction out in another sink.

cathidaw
30-10-2014, 10:56 PM
I had a blocked washbasin.I soaked out the water and poured caustic crystals down the plughole and put the plug in.In the night I heard it clear-- loudly. The liquid caustic was useless.

Margaret
31-10-2014, 05:03 AM
Thanks Lex.

Rebbonk,
The plumbing under the sink is plastic, the connections are so tight, but I don't really want a sludgy mess, I suspect it might be the washing machine outlet as well because there was a few bits of lint came up when I was plunging. I was knackered after half an hour plunging.

Cathy,
I think you are right, the liquid solution did nothing, though the water has slowly trickled away, but there is still a problem. I was thinking of just putting the caustic soda direct down the plug and leaving it but I followed the suggestions on the container, It says 50grams of crystals to a litre of water, well I didn't have a measure for 50 grams, so it was guess work. I'll be glad to get it sorted today.
Next time Cathy, I'll try your suggestions. If there is a next time.

:D

rebbonk
31-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Ah, you have the same system as me by the sound of it. - Washing machine connects to the sink U bend.

I find one of the problems is that the washing machine filter can get blocked (Who ever cleans it? - I do now!) and cause issues, the other surprise I found was that washing powder (and some liquids) can also cause blockages, especially if you use the low temperature stuff. Our washing machine now gets a "maintenance" run every 6 weeks on a hot cycle with nothing in it. I find it clears all the residues.

Something else I found recently...

Our washing machine had developed a little bit of a 'whiff'. It turned out to be stagnant water lying in the sump at the bottom of the machine. (Again, made worse because of the low temperature washes). I discovered that our machine had a "drain" function to be used when the wash was finished. This emptied the sump and we've had no more issues.

Margaret
31-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Ah, you have the same system as me by the sound of it. - Washing machine connects to the sink U bend.

I find one of the problems is that the washing machine filter can get blocked (Who ever cleans it? - I do now!) and cause issues, the other surprise I found was that washing powder (and some liquids) can also cause blockages, especially if you use the low temperature stuff. Our washing machine now gets a "maintenance" run every 6 weeks on a hot cycle with nothing in it. I find it clears all the residues.

Something else I found recently...

Our washing machine had developed a little bit of a 'whiff'. It turned out to be stagnant water lying in the sump at the bottom of the machine. (Again, made worse because of the low temperature washes). I discovered that our machine had a "drain" function to be used when the wash was finished. This emptied the sump and we've had no more issues.

Thanks for the tips Rebbonk, I suspect it is the machine somehow too as you have explained a few things that is similar to my experience when operating the washing maching, sometimes there is a bit of a nasty whiff, when it is first started up. I wonder if it is the sump problem like you explained, I usually have to open the door or window while the machine is giving of that horrible whiff, but it doesn't happen in all cases, I'll soon find out when the plumber comes. I'll also try to give it a hot cycle every 6 weeks or so with nothing in it. I do keep the drawer clear of soap powder I take it out to clean as soap gets caked on it. I don't think that would cause it to block though.

Margaret
31-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I cancelled the plumber saved myself some money.
The sink eventually started draining freely by late morning, thankfully. It seemed very sluggish for a while after I put the caustic soda down, anyway all is well now thankfully, I had a nice clean up.

Margaret
01-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the reminder about the washing maching 'drain' function Rebbonk.
I'm afraid that is a function I have never used. So triple embarrassment for me. :o
Do we need to use the drain function after each wash? Can it be used on a cycle with nothing in the machine?

rebbonk
01-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Margaret, Mrs Rebbonk wasn't aware of the function either, and until there was anything wrong I wasn't allowed near the machine.

I find that using it after every time we've used and emptied the machine stops any unpleasant odours. It removes any water from the sump, thus preventing any stagnation.

We still run an empty 'maintenance' run ever 6 weeks or so, again, finishing off with the 3 minute drain selection.

HTH?

Margaret
01-11-2014, 08:34 AM
A huge thanks for the tip Rebbonk, this will definately be on the regular mainenance tasks from now on. I feel a right Charlie not realizing what the 'drain' setting was there for. I always thought that when the washing had done the final rinse it actually automatically drains any excess water then.