PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear driven from Argentina after Jeremy Clarkson FKL number plate row

Margaret
04-10-2014, 10:35 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/10/3/1412353853954/e40f1e27-f8fd-4864-bc0c-f9a08adc5d97-460x305.jpeg

The cast and crew of TV’s Top Gear have had to flee Argentina after they were pelted with stones by a crowd incensed that one of their vehicles had a number plate that appeared to refer to the Falklands conflict.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/03/top-gear-argentina-jeremy-clarkson-bbc

rebbonk
04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Should've thrown a few pebbles back at them and they'd have surrendered!

Gladys
04-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I really do think who ever supplied the number plate knew this would be a controversial thing and is even humorous in a tongue in cheek way but maybe they didn't know just how sensitive Argentina is about the Falklands? They do now.

rebbonk
04-10-2014, 04:33 PM
My take on it, is that it was an unsanctioned, but intended publicity stunt that got out of hand. Had they gotten away with it, it would have been a massive coup and the new Top Gear Series would be off to a flying start.

Shizara
04-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Am inclined to go along with rebbonk's view on this one, especially the outcome had the gotten away with it.

cathidaw
04-10-2014, 10:52 PM
The situation in the world is so oo sensitive these days so even if it was funny in a way to us,someone should learn to think twice. But don't expect it to be Clarkson who does the thinking.
I like his programmes. Don't we just love a rebel!!

Gladys
05-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Well, it got them publicity except not as they wanted. I am sure some one's head is on the block for this.

rebbonk
05-10-2014, 05:57 PM
You know Gladys, where Top Gear is concerned I'm not sure there is anything that is bad publicity. I see them as 3 adults who simply haven't grown up; who behave in the naughty fashion that 13 year old boarding school boys do, knowing they'll get away with everything because mummy and daddy will pick up any bills and make things good.

I've met JC and frankly wasn't particularly impressed, though I do find some of his writing quite humorous. I also know that in many areas of the motor industry that although he might be treated with trepidation, he isn't actually thought of all that well or held in particular high regard.

Gladys
07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Yes, I note that his arrogance is something that the show often uses to its advantage playing one ' child ' off against the others. The naughty schoolboy ' pranks ' are what make the program so appealing to so many but I do wonder where ' elf and safety ' are at times.