PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrian Hit on M40

Lex
26-05-2014, 07:33 AM
The lorry driver has now got someone's death on his conscience for the rest of his life, just because some b****y idiot decided to take a stroll along a motorway.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27564083

rebbonk
26-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Sadly Lex, they exist!

Gladys
26-05-2014, 11:46 AM
This is so very sad and I don't suppose the witnesses will ever forget it either. This is one of the things that has concerned me with the immigration from the EU- Romania, Bulgaria and other Eastern EU countries. They do not understand or are aware of our motorways and the non- pedestrian status of them. Their countries do not police their road systems as ours do either. I am not sure if the deceased in this case was from any of these places but it would answer for why he had trodden such a dangerous and in his case; fatal path. Hampshire police were (maybe not so much now) always having to pick up pedestrians from these countries from the hard shoulder. I recall ringing them once as I narrowly missed a fellow ambling along on the M27 in the dark. Often these people had got off the ferry at Portsmouth ( or had smuggled or been smuggled in on freight lorries) and were making their way forward on foot.

Shizara
04-06-2014, 10:03 AM
In the same way there are those that exist who attempt to cross railway crossings, blatantly ignoring the bells/flashing lights and the lowering of the barriers. Also, there are those that don't 'see' a huge warning regarding the height of a bridge and carry on driving with vehicles high enough to cause a bridge bash. The bridge at Hinckley comes to mind:

http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/lorry-damaged-crash-railway-bridge-6799534

Warnings are in place but for various reasons are not heeded, yet, whilst making the choice has cost someone their life, equally, the memory will have an impact on those involved ie vehicle drivers or other witnesses, for the rest of their lives. Because someone chose to ignore the warnings and/or break the law the families of those who have lost their lives are grieving over the loss of that person.