PDA

View Full Version : Capital Punishment - Is the USA's leagl system robust enough?

Gladys
17-04-2014, 10:53 PM
I watched the BBC1 program tonight on 2 Death Row inmates. 1 Got executed the other; a child (with a very decent family back ground) had a stay 2 hours before his execution.It has left me feeling quite ill. The families of those they killed are rightfully so angry and hurt but I can't stop thinking that if a different approach was had in the USA with proper psychological support for victims and also rehab for offenders, then the Death Penalty need not be used. I say this but have to add, that for clear cut absolute heinous and evil crimes, I believe in it. The 2nd prisoner isn't or doesn't come across as one of those.In Islam it is an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth but in actuality, it is about circumstance, truth and experience with age maturity and decency with honesty.What do you think? I still don't believe we as humans have the right to decide life over death- that is up to ' God ' (what ever God is yours or mine.)

rebbonk
18-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm against the death penalty in most cases. Far too many people confuse revenge with justice.

However, my biggest worry in these cases is the corruption and distortion of evidence. Mistakes and errors are made in the judicial process, and once a life has been taken you can never re-instate it.

As regards judging others, what right have I? Who is to say that my beliefs and ethics are any better or more 'right' than those of others. I've not done jury service and frankly, I hope that I don't get called to.

Gladys
18-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Yes, this is absolutley right, Rebbonk. America's judicial system is not always correct as ours is often wrong too. The 2nd offender in the documentary had a lawyer who had found evidence his conviction was suspect and he awaits a further decision on his sentence. Imagine if he didn't have that lawyer?

This story is one of compassion and how it is done in many countries - the family of the victim decides.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606696/Incredible-moment-Iranian-killer-spared-execution-victims-parents.html

rebbonk
18-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Imagine if he didn't have that lawyer?

My brother-in-laws were facing a court for something they didn't do. They were stitched up by the police for personal reasons. At the magistrates court they were advised to plead guilty, as if they didn't, the case would go to crown court where they faced a much stiffer penalty. Scared stiff, they did as advised!

Result, convictions for something they didn't do.

Gladys
18-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Rebbonk, that is an example of where the law is an a**e. It just isn't right and if you don't know the right people or have the funds to get proper help, then people get stitched up. However, I am a believer in what goes round comes round. The people who do the stitching up eventually get some sort of comeuppence. It may not be obvious or in a way we'd like but sure enough, things happen. Watch and wait and see; Karma.

Gladys
22-04-2014, 11:16 PM
The new BBC 1 program tonight on Death Row and the Death sentence showed exactly what we've been saying. This man was convicted because he had a few blood splatters on his shorts. From that they decided it does prove he did it. However, he may have come home; got contaminated from what he may have seen , gone scared and run knowing the judiciary would point the finger at him. The Jury was hung because of this.http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guy-heinze-jr-ga-man-gets-life-in-prison-for-killing-father-7-others-in-mobile-home/

Gladys
30-04-2014, 01:31 PM
This just wrong and his end should never have happened this way. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2615631/Oklahoma-prepares-execute-2-inmates.html

rebbonk
30-04-2014, 03:26 PM
The comments on that story are very telling. As I said in an earlier post, people confuse retribution with justice.

Gladys
02-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Today's DM is now exposing further torture to this individual prior to his botched execution. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618227/Murderer-died-botched-execution-hit-taser-hours-earlier-execution-drugs-pumped-GROIN.html

I can't help think that somewhere in these legalised sadist camps there lies many cans of worms around the difference between what is actually permitted and what is decent control. Its no different to humane meat production really; humane euthanasia.