PDA

View Full Version : Missing Malaysia Airlines plane .

Margaret
09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Missing Malaysia Airlines plane 'may have turned back'

Radar signals show a Malaysia Airlines plane that has been missing for more than 24 hours may have turned back, Malaysian officials have said.

Rescue teams looking for the plane have now widened their search area.

Investigators are also checking CCTV footage of two passengers who are believed to have boarded the plane using stolen passports.

Flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing disappeared south of Vietnam with 239 people on board.

Air and sea rescue teams have been searching an area of the South China Sea south of Vietnam for more than 24 hours.

But Malaysia's civil aviation chief, Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, told a press conference in Kuala Lumpur the search area had been expanded, to include the west coast of Malaysia.

Five passengers booked on the flight did not board, he added. Their luggage was consequently removed.

Twenty-two aircraft and 40 ships are now involved in the search, armed forces chief Gen Zulkefli Zin said.

Air force chief Rodzali Daud said the investigation was now focusing on a recording of radar signals that showed there was a "possibility" the aircraft had turned back from its flight path.

Vietnamese navy ships which reached two oil slicks spotted earlier in the South China Sea found no signs of wreckage.

'Suspect'

Malaysia's Transport Minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, initially said at least four names on the passenger list were "suspect" but later told the BBC there were in fact only two suspect names.

The BBC has confirmed that a man falsely using an Italian passport and a man falsely using an Austrian passport purchased tickets at the same time, and were both booked on the same onward flight from Beijing to Europe on Saturday.

Both had purchased their tickets from China Southern Airlines, which shared the flight with Malaysia Airlines, and they had consecutive ticket numbers.

The real owners reportedly had their passports stolen in Thailand in recent years.

Gladys
09-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Very worrying indeed. I pray for all of the families involved.I hope the truth will out.

Gladys
14-03-2014, 04:59 PM
The truth is slowly becoming clearer through all the muddle. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2580815/Missing-MH370-jet-flown-Indias-Andaman-Islands-according-radar-data-claimed-inquiries-focus-increasingly-hijacking-theory.html

Gladys
16-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I believe they know more than they have let on from the start but they are now attempting to be open. This morning's news say they think the pings that they received from the plane were made on land. I hope they are right and hopefully, the plane landed safely with preservation of life. Time is going on and it is so cruel for all concerned.

Gladys
17-03-2014, 06:28 PM
If the Co-pilot was the last person who spoke to Air Traffic Control and 4 people are found to have flight simulators at home, then it seems the plane has been taken over by crew who had been practicing how to fly. navigate etc. The pilot is reported to have a flight simulator at home and this is being examined as are the others who are 2 crew and a stewardess. Bazaar and it just gets more so.

Margaret
18-03-2014, 11:13 AM
What puzzles me is that they know of an oil slick in the south China sea and as far as I know they haven't investigated fully. I think the oil slick is in the south China sea from the video clip .

http://www.3news.co.nz/Frustration-amid-missing-plane-uncertainty/tabid/313/articleID/336402/Default.aspx

Gladys
18-03-2014, 02:05 PM
China says it is now looking into its territories which I assume also includes the South China Sea. A Chinese spokesman may have made a slip up. (or I am reading too much into it ) He said about the pings they had ' that from the information we are getting ' so to me that suggests they are getting information in the current tense. Anyway, it is all so very confusing, those poor families can only be feeling worse with stuff like that being said and then as with other things that have been said and then corrected or retracted and then confirmed. I do hope the oil slick isn't from the plane ditching or crashing into the sea because it will still offer hope it has landed somewhere.

Shizara
20-03-2014, 07:53 PM
The plot thickens...

I agree with you Gladys when you say you believe they knew more than they let on. In a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet:

"There is something rotten in the state of Denmark."

In this instance, Denmark can be substituted for another country but the meaning is still the same. Families of those on board need some answers so that they can do what needs to be done next. They are being left in limbo so to speak.

Gladys
21-03-2014, 12:42 AM
Is all this talk of sightings of debris subterfuge? I really hope so. How can a plane go off course with approx 289 passengers on board undetected? People have mobile phones- surely they've tried to use them? If tonight's latest is true, that the plane was put on auto and it eventually ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea- the mobiles of the passengers would still be crackable -smart phones have GPS. Why are the authorities creating so much more pain to the families by not saying? Is it then possible there really is a hostage situation and it has landed somewhere? God, I pray so.

In fact why has Kazakhstan and Tajikistan etc never made any comment, they are the countries at the other end of the search corridor? It is all quiet from that end.

Gladys
21-03-2014, 11:20 AM
The Malay official said this morning that they were still waiting to hear from Kazakhstan. I find this very strange doesn't anyone else? I also would ask again if the mobile phone providers for the crew and passengers are on the case as some of the passengers phones were said to still be ringing several hours after the plane was lost. Who did the Captain call before the plane taxied and took off? That must be traceable, surely? On top of this the Australians are having to return to base after only a few hours flying due to the need to refuel. Why haven't they asked for refueling air tankers to join in the search? A reporter asked the Malaysian Official this very question and on being asked he said he'd now ask for this from the US. I am not criticizing them as they are doing a hell of a job as are all but there are so many gaps and the whole thing needs to be a joined up process of searching together with a tight plan of logistical communication and action to do it. These gaps are adding to the frustration and the pain for the families involved.

Margaret
21-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I'll be interested to know what they retrieve from the pilot's flight simulator found in his home. Is it usual for an experienced pilot to have a flight simulator?
Also, confusing me is, how can they know that the plane flew for several hours after losing contact?
This is getting more and more torturous for the poor families not knowing what has happened to their loved ones.

Margaret
21-03-2014, 11:36 AM
More questions.

BBC Monitoring points to a piece by Tom Allard, writing in Australia's Sydney Morning Herald, who wonders why the black box is not designed to float: "Can the plane's flight recorder - actually an orange box, with two units comprising separate cockpit and flight data recorders - be better designed?... Surely a flotation device that is triggered by barometric pressure, once the black box is sinking, could be devised?"

Gladys
21-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes, Margaret. As for the data from the Pilot's flight simulator- that will be interesting. The pilot is described as passionate about his job and I guess in that it maybe isn't surprising to find he had one at home. However, furthermore they also said that 3 other crew had simulators in their homes but its all gone quiet on that one. They are saying that the plane was deliberately flown off course because if a catastrophic event had occurred it wouldn't have flown on for several more hours. They have military radar data from my understanding of it flying on for several hours with eye witnesses seeing an unusually low flying plane at times that corroborate the corridor positioning.

Re: Floatation device for the Black Box design. Yes, this will no doubt be looked at if it isn't already on newer aircraft but I suppose it also depends on whether the sinking device is encapsulated ie within a cockpit that hasn't broken up.

Gladys
21-03-2014, 12:54 PM
I can't believe they haven't checked this out. If they haven't, it is absolutely scandalous. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586013/Malaysian-woman-claims-seen-missing-MH370-water-near-Andaman-Islands-day-disappeared.html

Margaret
21-03-2014, 01:32 PM
I can't believe they haven't checked this out. If they haven't, it is absolutely scandalous. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586013/Malaysian-woman-claims-seen-missing-MH370-water-near-Andaman-Islands-day-disappeared.html

I agree, I believe this lady saw something, they really should have checked this out!

Gladys
21-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I hope they still do. I have been able to make out ships and boats when flying at altitude so I'm sure a Boeing 777 would be visible too.

Margaret
21-03-2014, 03:27 PM
As planes scour the southern Indian Ocean, the hunt goes on elsewhere too. Here, Indonesia's National Search and Rescue despatches a helicopter over the Andaman sea, near the northern tip of Sumatra island.

Gladys
21-03-2014, 04:20 PM
It is a relief to hear they are checking out her possible sighting. What about Kazakstan though- still no comment?

Gladys
21-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I am sorry to say I now think the Captain and his co- opts were a band of suicidal sad people who opted to die together. I think they have ditched the plane and the mobile phone signals from passengers were scrambled to block them. I wish I could still think positively but suddenly tonight, I can't. God Please make me wrong. I still can't understand why Kazakhstan and Tajikistan have made no response. This is the last hope for me that they have them somewhere but why is another question.

Perhaps not the Captain but certainly, some one or some people took control of the plane. It isn't looking hopeful. At the close of the press meeting this morning the Malaysian Official who is seeming to be so patient and understanding was passed a piece of paper with news from China that one of their satellites has picked up an image of debris measuring 22m x 30 m in the South China Sea. This is still in the South Corridor.

Margaret
23-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Hopefully they will come up with something more positive tomorrow, all we keep hearing is that they have sighted more debris, but we never get an actual image of it.

Gladys
24-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Hope and pray. XXX

Margaret
24-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Hope and pray. XXX

:)

Gladys
24-03-2014, 02:14 PM
The UK AAI Branch at Farnborough and IMMARSAT have calculated from satellite data that the plane has gone down in the Southern Indian Ocean. This is ahead of any confirmation that the debris that has been sighted belongs to Flight MH370. This is a remarkable feat and a very sad result from this calculation. It also poses several even more sad scenarios as to why the plane was headed out that way where there would be absolutely no where to land. May the crew and passengers RIP and Condolences to all families and loved ones suffering this terrible tragic loss. I hope answers will be found.

Gladys
25-03-2014, 11:25 AM
It took 2 years to locate the Black Box from the Air France disaster but with 26 nations assisting with their technology and expertise, hopefully Flight MH370 will yield hers before too long. This is an interesting article which lays out the various scenarios that may be why the flight went down. Mr Chris Goodfellow's concept is the one I'd prefer to believe. Langkawi is in line with the search area where as the Investigation authorities had previously said that the plane was out in an area where there is no where to land. Clearly there is but you'd have to know that. May be the Captains flight simulator will show he did. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2588109/How-got-After-Malaysia-Airlines-jet-said-crashed-Indian-Ocean-look-ended-far-course.html

Dun Scotus
25-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Yes, it was a spectacular operation to recover that black box. They had to design a special submarine to operate at such extremem depths. I think the result was that it was ruled that it was pilot error.
A very young pilot looked as though he panicked when he saw what is know as the St. Elmo's fire. Took the plane , which was on a computer system , know as fly by wire to about 80 thousand feet and it then just began to fall straight into the ocean as it lost speed.
I don't want to speculate about this Malaysian tragedy, but suffice to say that if there was a political or religious motive, the Chinese government will be force to take drastic measures against Malaysia, including possible war.

Gladys
25-03-2014, 02:02 PM
The Chinese Government seem to have their own internal ' war ' at the moment as the relatives marched to the Malaysian Embassy today to hand over a petition. This is flouting Chinese laws on public demonstrations.

I think the unprecedented manner in which officials have reached the conclusion of Flight MH370 having gone down is contributing to their grief and confusion. It simply isn't concrete in the way visual and tangible hard evidence is as with wreckage.(Seeing is believing) For now it may not feel real but mere fiction until they are walked through the calculation and its method with the evidence it sourced to reach the conclusion it did. Malaysian Officials are set to fly to Beijing tonight so they can do this. The Chinese Government is not given to providing explanations to its people either, so in that Malaya is also breaching ground not previously trodden on to people who are suppressed in the expression of opinions.
The Ts&Cs of the Insurance of the plane and its occupants is also another knife edged situation. I gleaned and stand to be corrected that they have to prove that they know what happened in order to settle. If this is so, it makes it all the more important that they race to find out exactly what went on.

Margaret
26-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Little is known about the topography of the seabed in the search area, David Ferreira, an oceanographer at the UK's University of Reading, says. "We know much more about the surface of the moon than we do about the ocean floor in that part of the Indian Ocean."

Gladys
26-03-2014, 09:02 AM
I suspect there are a number of submarines already out there or headed that way to do just that. Its just so awful for the people left behind who are suffering with grief that can't progress through its stages with out tangible evidence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2589723/French-satellite-spots-122-objects-75ft-long-Indian-Ocean-debris-doomed-Malaysian-airline.html

If this is the wreckage , it will increase the sadness of the families involved but will provide them with some tangible evidence so they can move on with the grief process. The Captain's life is reported to have been in turmoil and the satellite information shows they tracked the plane at 43000 - 45000 feet for 23 minutes. This is very unusual and sadly but Thankfully may have caused loss of consciousness to all on board MH370.

Gladys
26-03-2014, 11:16 PM
I also think that because Malaya hasn't had disasters and has not had to answer for an event before, this will add to the pain of the families. It really doesn't bode well. Her Majesty needs some real life input to reach out to her peoples' pain which I am sure she's never had to worry about before. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2589971/Her-country-mourning-victims-MH370-doesnt-stop-queen-Malaysia-enjoying-round-golf.html

Gladys
27-03-2014, 11:36 AM
This doesn't seem right. How can one life be worth more than another? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2590381/HHow-life-worth-Relatives-westerners-killed-MH370-crash-receive-MILLIONS-compensation-families-planes-Asian-passengers-airline-prepares-750-million-claims.html

Gladys
31-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I gleaned from today's press conference in Malaya that the Chinese have not been receiving this telecast that we all have been. I believe China controls what News it allows its people to hear so in that it is at fault in this terrible ordeal. The Malaysian Airlines Official said they were now going to make sure that the Chinese receive it in Beijing as we do. This will be why the Chinese have felt so ill informed and hopefully now they will feel included. It should assist the families involved and reduce the suspicion they have felt.

Gladys
31-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Tonight's News brings a correction in the last words spoken to Air Traffic Control by The person in the cockpit of MH370. They are quite different to those reported previously, how can this be?
Now they are ' Goodnight, Malaysian three, seven, zero.' Then they were' Alright, Good night.'

rebbonk
31-03-2014, 10:40 PM
There are tapes of the last conversation, all ATC is recorded. To settle the argument once and for all, those responsible for the tapes could release them for public consumption. If the tapes are not released, a fair question is to ask why not?

Gladys
01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
I really believe that the Malays are not deliberately making mistakes like this. It seems to me that it all stems from cultural differences in that they are not given to being brought to account from the world's media and they have a distinct lack of attention to the importance of detail. They are a very laid back nation of people who are possibley more ' manana ' than the Spanish. ( I can't put the cedilla above the 'n') It may also be that who ever is in charge of the tapes has reported their content inaccurately from a possible poor grasp of spoken English. I heard this morning that they have released the transcripts to the families of those lost but I agree, they maybe should release the actual taped spoken words to them and to the world as well.

Gladys
03-04-2014, 05:00 PM
Oh Dear http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2596004/Malaysian-defence-minister-centre-PR-blunder-agreeing-MH370s-disappearance-blessing-disguise.html

I really like Mr Hussein and am impressed by his spoken English, empathy and compassion. I really don't think he meant this as it is. Its a faux pas in his command of English. The man is impressive and has displayed such calm and understanding that you can tell he's got emotion he's fought to hold back and has managed so many difficult press conferences with dignity.

Gladys
05-04-2014, 02:41 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597630/Chinese-ship-looking-missing-Malaysia-Airlines-plane-detects-black-box-pulse-signal-southern-Indian-Ocean.html

I hope this is it; for the sake of their loved ones. It will bring the chance of ' closure ' one hopes.

Margaret
09-04-2014, 04:10 PM
I do hope they have finally found the location of the missing Malaysian plane as they have detected more pings. It won't bring back those poor passengers that have perished, but the recovery of the black box should unfold the mystery of how this tragedy happened.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140409/NEWS07/304090038/missing-malaysian-plane-ping-signals

Gladys
12-04-2014, 02:23 PM
The way the media is reporting this, really isn't helping this whole tragic mystery. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2603075/Co-pilot-missing-flight-MH370-desperate-call-mobile-phone-AFTER-aircraft-lost-normal-communication-ground.html

The coverage seems to start saying one thing by way of revelationary News and then confusing it with possible explanations. All the while the families and loved ones of these poor people are still left wondering what is really going on and who to believe.

rebbonk
12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
The coverage seems to start saying one thing by way of revelationary News and then confusing it with possible explanations.

I can't take the DM seriously. They described a Spitfire as a jet at one stage! The standard of their reporting is very poor. Also, they banned me from making comments on their stories, mainly because I held views different to theirs.

Gladys
12-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Rebbonk, you have the right to freedom of speech. I hope you reminded them of that? Their reporting is indeed very poor not least their use of grammar and spelling.(Not that I can say much on that but at least I do know how it should be done.) They are now saying that the US is denying that the plane landed at Diego Garcia. I must say, president Obama really hasn't seemed to have said a lot on any of this except Mr Hussein did travel to Hawaii for ' talks '. It would be good to hear they have the black boxes and then maybe the truth will be told.

Gladys
22-04-2014, 02:45 PM
It just gets worse. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2610035/MH370-landed-not-crashed-Indian-Ocean.html

Lex
23-08-2014, 09:32 AM
After dropping out of the news for months, it turns out people are still looking for the plane: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28900565

Gladys
25-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Yes, I don't see that they can abandon any search especially after the disaster in Ukraine of MH17. That with this is set to break them. I read only on Friday that there is an 'expert ' investigator who believes the captain deliberately starved the cabin of oxygen which would have rendered the passengers and crew at first sleepy and then unconscious very quickly.