PDA

View Full Version : Learning Piano for Oldies.

Margaret
16-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I am just beginning to appreciate how difficult learning to play a paino , or any musical instrument can be. I have to hand it to youngsters who master their instrument, reading music etc, learning music theory etc., it really takes dedication and practicing all the time.
I started piano lessons a year ago and am a bit slow, some piece are easier than others, but now I hace reached lessons that are a bit more ambitious and really stretches me. I get so despondent If I am slow and can't play as I ought to. Last weeks lesson was a bit of a disaster, as no matter how I practiced I still was not playing fluently enough, It was a piece with double notes and flats, I'll be glad when Im finished that excercise. I have to learn two octave scales without looking! I thought, who are you kidding! But it is achievable going over it about a hundred bleeding times.
I've got a handle on the next piece I have to learn already so that has cheered me up a bit.
I was thinking of chucking it in, but my tutor encourages me to stick at it as I have made progress.
Though I haven't taken Grade 1.

Margaret
17-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Thank goodness that's out the way for another two weeks, I haven't spent much time posting as I had to catch up with piano practice for my lesson today. The tutor has given me more homework though. I find that if I have a lesson every two weeks it gives me time to get my head around what I am supposed to do.
I've also been catching up with friends and folks from my old hometown , they have a facebook page.
:D

Lex
17-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Know how you feel Margaret. I'm studying for a qualification at the minute - all the theory is giving me a headache, and finding the time to get the practical stuff done in between lesions is a logistical challenge!

Yes, studying can be quite draining mentally. I'm just a slow poke.
How long is your course for Lex? I'm sure you will pass with flying colours. :)

Margaret
17-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Yes, studying can be quite draining mentally. I'm just a slow poke.
How long is your course for Lex? I'm sure you will pass with flying colours. :D

Lex
17-04-2014, 10:28 PM
It's 3 theory sessions, plus an assessment day spread over 3 months, including at least 12 hours practical practice.