PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Dogs

Gladys
11-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Why does this keep happening and why don't people learn? Its tragic. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556514/Baby-girl-dies-attacked-mauled-dog.html

rebbonk
11-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Gladys,

To my mind the reason is actually quite simple. People are stupid! I've owned big dogs all of my life (mainly Alsatians/German Shepherds). In fact, I remember in the 60s/70s that Alsatians had a dreadful reputation. I remember my 'friends' avoiding me if I had mine with me.

The dog I have now is as soft as they come, but I'd never leave her alone with a child of any age. Kids play, they often don't realise that they hurt dogs, dogs then defend themselves as they would in nature.

There is also the worry with a new born child that a dog may become jealous if it feels it has been relegated down the family pecking order.

My dog loves squeaky toys (she drives me mad) but could this dog have mistaken a crying child for a squeaky toy? - I don't know, but the fact that arrests have been made makes me wonder about many aspects of this case.

As well as being man's best friend, dogs are only ever one step away from being very powerful wild animals, people often forget that.

Margaret
11-02-2014, 05:10 PM
What a terrible tragedy.
I am always very cautious with dogs, they can be so unpredictable, I would never have a dog near my children when young. But thats just me. The dog in the news already had a reputation in the neighbourhood of being aggressive and the thicko who it belongs to did nothing about it, the dog is obviously wild and untrained. I think it must be a certain breed that is likely to attack..
A man in my neighbourhood has a beautiful Alsation, he walks him around everyday unleashed, but the dog is soft as putty and very well behaved, he never leaves his masters side.
My adjoining neighbour also has a dog, but his bark is worse than his bite, he is a lovely collie and knows us well, he isn't a threat to us, but he tends to go a bit mad at other dogs and sees them off.

Gladys
12-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Well, once again, authorities as in The RSPCA and the police were involved in visits to this house because of the dogs but still this has happened. The child is reported to have been asleep upstairs and the couple were downstairs on the sofa. How did the dog get upstairs to the sleeping child who had to have been in a cot or should have been? So many questions posing so many more. It doesn't bring this little one back and sadly, it doesn't mean this is an isolated one off tragedy.