PDA

View Full Version : Cull of Marius at Denmark's Copenhagen Zoo

Gladys
11-02-2014, 12:36 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556351/Mariuss-grotesque-slaughter-exposes-dirty-secrets-zoos-Success-breeding-programmes-leads-culls.html

I was filled with hope with the News early on Sunday morning that 2 Zoos were offering Marius a new home and his life. Quickly this turned to being heart broken to hear very shortly after that he'd been killed. The manner by which this was done shows the very real truth for the need of preserving the quality of his meat is one thing but in so doing its adding to an entire lack of appreciation for his welfare and dignity. This was furthered by the public dissection of him and then the butchering of his remains which were then offered to the lions and tigers. Not to mention the inappropriate audience of young children many of whom look traumatised by it. That is abuse in itself and is all wrong.
They bred him so in my mind they are responsible and if castration was dangerous for him now, knowing he could weaken the gene pool then, they should've castrated him as a very much smaller calf. The reasons Longleat gave for euthanising the Lions and cubs is a little grey. One report said it was because of an inbreeding problem which made them violent and then this article says it was for overcrowding. So which was it?

Prince William is standing for the welfare of Rhinos and Elephants. Whilst I admire him and his cause, it might help if he starts with a look at what happens in the zoos around the world too.