View Full Version : Canada Bans Marmite

Margaret
24-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Canada 'bans' Marmite, Irn Bru, Bovril and Penguin bars
Last updated Fri 24 Jan 2014World
Canada
Marmite

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/328509/article_img.jpg

Additives in Marmite make the product illegal in Canada, according to a letter to an importer of British foods there. Credit: PA
Canada has reportedly banned the importing of British foods including Marmite and Irn Bru because of the additives they contain.

Tony Badger, who owns a British foods shop in Saskatoon in central Canada, said he had lost $20,000 (Canadian) - over £10,000 - when his shipments from the UK were seized.

“My understanding was we were importing legally," he told the local CKOM news outlet. "We’ve been declaring it through a customs broker and we’ve never had an issue until now.”

Irn Bru contains the Ponceau 4R food colouring, while Marmite, Lucozade, Penguin Bars and Bovril are all "enriched with vitamins and minerals" unacceptable to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, according to a letter from the body to Mr Badger.

Gladys
24-01-2014, 10:23 AM
You either love it or hate it. As a marmite lover- to my mind, its Canada's loss. What are they saying about Vegimite I wonder?

Shizara
24-01-2014, 01:22 PM
My preference is the Marmite I grew up with http://www.sanitarium.co.nz/products/spreads/marmite (")

The texture is different to the UK Marmite and the colour is much darker. As Gladys says you either love Marmite or hate it.

rebbonk
24-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I really hate the stuff, but Mrs Rebbonk loves it! - She has it on toast, sandwiches, and if I don't watch her, she'll slip it into the gravy!

Shizara
24-01-2014, 01:50 PM
For the Marmite lovers - Mrs Rebbonk included:

Very thin sliced bread - the round, milk,tank loaf is the only one I have found that is thin enough. Use a thin scrape of butter or margarine. Spread Marmite - sparingly and then sprinkle with grated cheese. If you want the pieces smaller it is best to cut before baking. Put them in a slow oven ie very low temp on a baking tray until they are lightly tanned. Your aim is to dry them out and have a very light gold colour to the bread. Cool and place in an airtight tin. They will 'keep' for several days but as they are more-ish they may not last.

Gladys
24-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Oh No, I feel a marmite moment coming on. Yum, Shizara.

Margaret
25-01-2014, 10:55 AM
I used to like marmite with boiled egg and soldiers, but I don't eat it now because of the high salt content.
Though I would be tempted to buy a small pot.