PDA

View Full Version : Warwickshire man Roger Pratt murdered in St Lucia

Margaret
19-01-2014, 04:38 AM
A British man has been murdered on the Caribbean island of St Lucia as he tried to defend his wife from attackers.

Roger Pratt, 62, was killed on board the couple's yacht in the town of Vieux Fort, on Friday night, police said.

His wife, Margaret, is being treated in hospital after the attack, which took place as the Warwickshire couple were on a round-the-world trip.

Police said several people were in custody, but no arrests had been made.

Immigration delays

The UK Foreign Office said it was aware of the death of a British national on the island, and was providing consular assistance to the family.

The cause of Mr Pratt's death has not been established, but police said there was no evidence he had been shot. A post-mortem examination is being carried out.

A police spokesman said: "Nobody has been arrested yet but there are some guys in custody. The investigators are very busy looking at what happened."

Writing on a blog hours before the attack, Mrs Pratt said they had planned to leave the island some time before, but immigration checks had been delayed.

The couple had been on their voyage since last June, when they left Lowestoft, Suffolk, and headed for the Algarve before navigating their way to the Caribbean.

They had been celebrating Mrs Pratt's 60th birthday when the attack took place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25797968

rebbonk
19-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Sad, especially when you consider what the trip was celebrating.

Margaret
19-01-2014, 06:01 AM
This reminds me of dreadful butchering of the newly wed couple from Wales on their honeymoon in the Caribbean. Catherine and Ben Mullany.

Killers escape death penalty for murdering Welsh couple honeymooning in Caribbean

Avie Howell and Kaniel Martin jailed for life over murders
Catherine and Ben Mullany executed on last night of their honeymoon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075198/Killers-Catherine-Ben-Mullany-escape-death-penalty-murder-Caribbean.html

rebbonk
19-01-2014, 06:28 AM
I have to be honest, I wouldn't go anywhere near the Caribbean. In my opinion, it just isn't safe; and that comes from someone who's worked in the Middle East!