PDA

View Full Version : Thought of the day

Margaret
02-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Every man needs a woman when his life is a mess, because just like in a game of chess; the queen protects the king.

:)

rebbonk
02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
There is a comma missing from the following sentence:-

A woman without her man is nothing.

Margaret
02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
A woman without her man, is nothing.

Dun Scotus
02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Talking about the postition of a comma in a sentence, I read an interesting article the other day about the late novelist Graham Greene, and it was all about the postion of a comma in a memo that he wrote on his death bed.
The memo was addressed to his authorized biographer, a guy called Sherry, and in the memo, Green said that he authorized Sherry:
''Excluding all others, to have access to my papers and correspondence.''
There was a massive arguement that I think spilled over into the courts in the US, fought out between professor Sherry and Greene's family. Sherry argued that the memo with the comma meant that only he had access to the papers and nobody else. This was a huge bone of contention because the family, together with scholars all over the world wanted to view the papers, which are in a number of US universities.
I don't think the issue was ever settled, and what happened was, that some universities embargoed the papers they had and other universities allowed access.
All over one comma!

rebbonk
02-01-2014, 04:22 PM
A woman without her man, is nothing.

Margaret,

I thought you'd edit it as:-

A woman, without her man is nothing.

Margaret
03-01-2014, 05:36 AM
Margaret,

I thought you'd edit it as:-

A woman, without her man is nothing.

I know,I was thinking about that. :o

Tiff
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Or even...

A woman without, her man is everything. :)

Happy New Year to you all. x

Shizara
03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Happy New Year Tiff!

Nice to see you!

Gladys
13-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Happy New Year from me too. It depends on the caliber of the man!

Tiff
15-01-2014, 06:05 AM
And a very Happy New Year to all of you! :) Thank you for the welcome back. Hoping all is well with you and yours.x