PDA

View Full Version : Bah, Humbug! Browsers Beware!

Shizara
24-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I had one of those store experiences whereby you just know that a member of staff is following you around the store pretending to tidy things nearby to keep an eye on you. Having worked 18 years in loss prevention in the retail sector I am fully aware of how these things work. Had I not done so I likely would have been quite oblivious to it all.

Here's how it went... I came into the store looking for something new - sale items would be good. I wandered around as I usually do trying to find something that really appeals. When I first started I was instantly aware of the appearance of one of the shop staff and thought oOo.. Here we go ...oOo. I moved to another rack and the same thing happened, so moved to yet another and my shadow came too. At that point, to be sure I wasn't letting my imagination run off with me I doubled back and started again. Lo and behold, so did my shadow.

If I am looking for something to purchase I sometimes spend a bit of time trying to find clothes that appeal to me, at a sensible price. This can mean I buy nothing at all, simply browse and leave. Still wanting to purchase some new clothes but getting a tad annoyed with the shadow I picked up a jumper and went looking for a blouse to go with it. There wasn't a lot that would tone in. Seemingly convinced I was a thief / shoplifter another member of staff came and asked if they could help - standard practice if you think someone might be up to no good.

Had I not received a phone call I would have kept looking and hopefully purchased 2 items, but, as I felt as though I was already being viewed with suspicion I wasn't about to wander around with a phone conversation going on and look for the second item so put the first one back and left the store.

To the store staff I understand that shop theft is a problem but in trying to prevent theft try not to make your genuine shoppers - the ones that don't steal from you - feel unwelcome and that you would prefer they didn't spend too much time browsing. All this does is add to the appeal of internet shopping.

rebbonk
24-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Sometimes they can shoot themselves in the foot!

A guy who worked for me regularly had similar problems at a large Coventry supermarket. Mind you, being 6'2" 20 stone and having a shaved head, not to mention tattoos possibly didn't help him?