PDA

View Full Version : George Eliot Hospital to be Taken Over

Lex
24-12-2013, 09:05 AM
A shortlist is being compiled to take the trust over after it was put into special measures:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-25499522

Shizara
24-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't fully understand how hospital trusts work but assume they are given a sum of money each year which needs to be subject to a budget. Am assuming too that the issue is the financial status and all that comes with it, so, either they are not getting enough to cover what needs to be done or spending is a a problem.

Margaret
15-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultrasound appeal boost

January 15, 2014

An appeal to raise thousands of pounds for new equipment at the George Eliot Hospital has received a welcome boost.

The Nuneaton NHS Trust is looking to raise £80,000 to pay for an ultrasound scanner for the Trust’s Breast Care unit.

After welcoming Jean Whittaker MBE charitable funds co-ordinator along to discuss the kit and what it will mean for patients, adults with learning difficulties at the Freeway Centre in Attleborough got busy organising a fundraiser.

“They planned and staged a Christmas Fair,” explained Joanne Manser, outreach co-ordinator at Hereward College, which works with the centre in partnership with Warwickshire County Council’s Warwickshire Employment Support Team (WEST).

“They did all the organising including making flyers, arranging a raffle and prizes and then manning the stalls on the day.

“The event raised £100 for the George Eliot Hospital’s appeal to buy an ultrasound for Breast Care.”

The hospital has set itself an ambitious challenge to raise the £80,000 needed to buy a Sentinel Ultrasound Machine for its Breast Care unit.

Jean Whittaker said: “I gave a talk at the Freeway Centre about the ultrasound appeal and they wanted to help out.

“On behalf of the Breast Care Unit, I would like to thank everyone at the centre for organising the fair and thinking of the hospital.

“It will be put towards of the purchase of a new £80,000 ultrasound machine which detects any abnormalities in the lymph nodes.

“It is a vital piece of equipment as it means patients will no longer have to undergo unnecessary removal surgery.”

To find out more about the appeal contact Mrs Whittaker via email to jean.whittaker@geh.nhs.uk or call 024 7686 5400.
This story covers the following county electoral areas: Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough
This story covers the following places in and around Warwickshire: Nuneaton

http://news.warwickshire.gov.uk/blog/2014/01/15/ultrasound-appeal-boost/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Lex
20-06-2014, 10:10 PM
And the cuts have begun: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-27939133

Lex
26-12-2014, 10:02 AM
At least the trust is getting some new equipment: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/State-art-scanners-Eliot/story-25761269-detail/story.html

Lex
02-03-2015, 08:16 PM
The hospital's still up the proverbial creek, and the chances of getting a paddle aren't looking good: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Finance-fears-grow-Eliot/story-26095744-detail/story.html

rebbonk
02-03-2015, 10:50 PM
I really wonder how much waste there is in that organisation?

But ought money really be an issue? In fact, if you see just how money is 'created' in the UK you begin to realise just how much of a joke it all is.

Lex
03-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Well, it's in the public sector, so I'd imagine there's a fair bit of waste.

rebbonk
03-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Lex, I spent several years working as a consultant on waste reduction in organisations. As you rightly say, public sector is rife with it.

I tried to get into a local council to demonstrate how much waste there was. I actually got a hearing at quite a high level. I was told, "I'd love to use this stuff, but there's no way I dare!"

Of course, despite what we're told, it's still jobs for the boys and waste is rife: of course, we're paying for it.

cathidaw
05-03-2015, 10:14 PM
I can never understand how, with so much money poured into George Eliot Hospital and the latest equipment donated=like this new scanner--costing thousands of pounds over the past few years, why they are so slow getting results from these things. Go for an x-ray somewhere else -not Walsgrave--and by the time one gets back to the consultant-an hor or so later-the x-ray is there in his office. George Eliot....come back in 2 or 3 weeks.Wasting everyone's time. Same with scanners. why not get results the same day instead of weeks.Less worry for patients too.
I think the hospital does need a good shake up.too many senior and admin.staff too long in the same jobs. The hospital is comparetively new now but the old systems are still in place. A week before I went in the Royal Orthopaedic on 5th Feb I went for a chest x-ray at George Eliot, due to a persistant cough-which has now gone- No results yet. I dare say if I phoned they would send it to my GP during the next week. Now see what I mean. Complacent is the word I'm looking for.