PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blanket Checks..

Shizara
09-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Last year I replaced my ricketty bed and took the electric blanket off, carefully storing it away. Yesterday I thought I really must get it out, wash it and have it checked for safety before using it again. With this in mind I asked Mr Google if he had any ideas and the Nuneaton Fire Brigade had been doing free checks and that an appointment is required. I phoned to get an appointment to find out that there will be no more this year and would have to wait until next year.

Does anyone know of any other authorised business or service that checks them as I don't want to just put it on the bed because winter is coming and not knowing if it is safe but. On the other hand I don't want to have to go out and buy a new one. I can check the obvious, things like scorch marks, loose wiring and fabric damage but that isn't a good subsitute for a qualified check.

rebbonk
09-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Shizara,

Try here as a starting point http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/electricblanket

To be honest, other than insulation testing, there's not much you can't do yourself

Shizara
09-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I did the following check list as the starting point:

Scorch marks - NO
Fraying fabric - NO
Exposed elements - NO
Creasing or folding - NO
Soiling - NO
Damp patches - NO
Tie tapes damaged or missing - NO - it doesn't have tapes as it fits like a fitted sheet
Worn flex - NO
Loose connections - NO
An old BEAB safety mark – a round symbol. This means it is more than 10 years old. - NO - it has the current mark

Certainly not 100% conclusive but it's a start.

Lex
09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome back Shizara! :wave:

Shizara
09-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Oo ta!

Margaret
10-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Yeah, welcome back Shizara, hope you have been keeping well. :thumbs2:

Gladys
10-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Shizara- Yay, Hope you're well too?

Shizara
10-12-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm fine thanks and it's good to be back. It's definitely good to have a PC again.