PDA

View Full Version : Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Margaret
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
A place to share how your day has been. Senior moments or shopping trips, bargains, and so forth.

Today, the rubbish lorry swallowed my wheelie bin! Yes, the whole lot just disappeard into the machinery and couldn't be retrieved. The refuse operator apologized and gave me a number to ring so I can have a replacement.

rebbonk
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I wonder how long that replacement will take Margaret?

When we had our garden waste bins delivered, they missed us out. We called twice explaining that we hadn't had one delivered... Nothing happened.

Then we found out that one our neighbours had 3! The house numbers in our block run out of sequence and the brains from the council obviously couldn't read the numbers on the doors!

My son had his normal wheelie bin stolen. 12 months later it had still not been replaced. He'd actually moved before a replacement arrived.

Councils... Pah!

Margaret
07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Don't worry, I have ways of making them deliver! :hihi:
They said it should be delivered within ten working days.

Margaret
07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
For about 7/8 months after I moved into my present address, I get letters coming for the previous occupier, debt collectors, I got tired of sending the letters back to say that this person is no longer at this address, so I stopped returning them. A few weeks later, a knock on the door asking for this person, I won't give the name, but it sounds like a bogus name I will never forget, I will just say it sounded very Indian. Anyway I had a visit from the debt collector, I answered the door and he asks me If I was this ********* , I was so flippin annoyed and had enough harassment, my feisty Scottish temperament kicked in, I said to him, do I look like *********, like I am so obviously British, how dare he cause me such harassment and invade my privacy by asking me for ID and and a Council Tax form to prove that I am not the person they were looking for. By now my blood was at boiling point, and I told him to go and do his own damn research and check with the Council records, (I am keeping it polite here because I did use some unlady like words). I said, to him, if you ever come to my door again to make sure he brings a policeman with him, Or I shall be the one calling the police! By this time was making his way back to his car and I followed him still giving him hell, he shut his car door , then shut his window on me when I was still in full flow, then I called him an ignorant B*****d.
He said he had been in the job for 25 years and never heard anything like it!
Never saw him again. :hihi:

I don't mind people making enquiries, but this guy had an obnoxious manner. Perhaps they are trained to put the frightners on people, but his tacticts did work with me.
It's not good for my health getting wound up, but I laugh about it now .

rebbonk
07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I once had a letter from a debt collecting agency, and I must say it was very intimidating. I will add that I did not owe anyone money and the company that had sold the debt on were a bunch of shysters and fly by nights who couldn't run a bath, never mind a company. (They are long since out of business).

My brother was a solicitor and I asked him to put pen to paper as I thought it would be better on a solicitor's letterhead. He wrote two sentences and I never heard from them again.

Never got an apology from either party either!

Margaret
08-11-2013, 06:03 AM
I once had a letter from a debt collecting agency, and I must say it was very intimidating. I will add that I did not owe anyone money and the company that had sold the debt on were a bunch of shysters and fly by nights who couldn't run a bath, never mind a company. (They are long since out of business).

My brother was a solicitor and I asked him to put pen to paper as I thought it would be better on a solicitor's letterhead. He wrote two sentences and I never heard from them again.

Never got an apology from either party either!

Nice one Rebbonk. It's like tele marketing pests, we start off being polite but they don't get the message unless you hit them with a 2x4, metaphorically speaking of course. :rolleyes:.

Margaret
08-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I have set myself a task , I'm practicing one piece on the piano for a whole hour, then the next excercise for an hour before my tutor gets here. Trouble is, I like to keep checking in here intermittently. The interenet can be a terrible distraction, it is amazing how quickly an hour goes. :D

rebbonk
08-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Well, insomnia kicked in last night: I've been up since 2.30. Unfortunately, I didn't get much done, because the websites I needed were down for maintenance.

Hope the sites are back up now.:)

Margaret
08-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Wow, the Council delivered my new Wheelie Bin this morning! That was nice and quick. :tiphat:

rebbonk
08-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Ah, south Warwickshire! Now, had you been in North Warwickshire, perhaps it might have been different?

Warwickshire divide grows say 'experts' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24840712)

Margaret
08-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Oh I say!
I wouldn't have thought there was a lot of employment in Stratford, most people there I think, are self employed .
Of course, one could always travel out of Nuneaton for work.
I don't know if there is a good public transport system there.

Lex
09-11-2013, 08:45 AM
That is bad. this has been discussed many times on WOL, it's good that this has been recognised, our beloved leaders just need to get to work on sorting it out! (I realised while writing this that it sounds like I'm shoving the responsibility on to someone else; maybe it should be all our responsibilities? Discuss, and write a report for your homework ;-) )

Margaret
26-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Waiting for our new settee to be delivered, I finally got rid of our old bed settee, it was quite heavy what with all the metal and springs, so I unfolded the bed bit, unscrewed it all and managed to removed it, making the settee lighter and easier to manoeuvre, I managed to upend it to get it out the door, and out fell some money. I'll never buy a bed settee again as they are so cumbersome and awkward to move.
Our new settee is now in place and has transformed the living room, it looks lovely.

Margaret
01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Well here we are, Dec 1st. Advent begins.
I don't think I have ever know such lovely weather for December, today has been beautiful, blue sunny skies, very mild for this time of year.

Margaret
03-01-2014, 01:30 PM
I bought a little christmas tree in a pot and now I have planted it out in the garden.
Hopefully it will survive the weather.

rebbonk
03-01-2014, 02:11 PM
When we moved in here 20odd years ago, there was a 4ft Christmas tree at the bottom of our garden. The b*gger is now as high as the house, and I'm forever pruning the lower branches off!

Shizara
03-01-2014, 02:20 PM
In the 60's my parents purchased their first house and along with the apple tree, grapefruit tree and roses that lined the driveway to the house there was a pot with the top of pineapple in it. It seemed to be perfectly happy as a plant with green spiky leaves but we never saw a pineapple, however, the grapefruit, which was planted within close range of the kitchen window and surrounded by concrete path was a prolific producer of juicy fruit. As for a Christmas tree in the garden, even though with a quarter acre there was room for one no one had ever planted it after Christmas. Every year Dad would take us out, 2 weeks before Christmas to buy a tree and every year it finished up in the incinerator in the back garden. In later years the artificial tree arrived.

Margaret
03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I'll keep an eye on my little one, I don't mind having to to prune it.
Your grapefruit tree sounds very interesting, was that in NZ? I love pink grapefruit.

Radox do pink grapefruit and basil hand wash and shower gel. It smells delicious!

Shizara
03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Yes, the grapefruit tree was in NZ. We also referred to them as a Poorman's Orange tree. As children we would pick them, squeeze the juice and make refreshing drinks. As an adult I also cut them in half, cut segments into the flesh only, put a wee sprinkle of brown sugar and melted the sugar gently in the oven, or alternatively a sprinkle of brown sugar and leave in the fridge over night.. Delicimo.

rebbonk
27-01-2014, 10:52 AM
So there we are early last evening, sitting in our local enjoying a pint with a couple of friends.

The landlord's 'lady friend' is absolutely sozzled and making a fool of herself dancing around the almost empty place. Getting no attention, she goes outside. i assume (quite wrongly) for a cigarette.

A few minutes later the young barman goes outside to fetch wood for the fire.

All breaks loose! Barman dashes back in shouting that said lady has thrown herself in the canal and he can't get her out. One of our friends is quite young and fishes her out. The barman calls for an ambulance.

Ten minutes later an ambulance arrives. The crew are great and have a real sense of humour. I think Madness's 'House of fun' was on the jukebox (or whatever it is these days), the driver says, "how very apt!"

As we left (well before nine) the ambulance was heading toward the hospital.

Oh boy, I do live an exciting life!

Lex
01-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Well, after arriving at the office this morning and seeing the pitiful amount of work on my desk, I battered my eye lashes at my supervisor and persuaded her to give me the afternoon off, which I put to good use enjoying a sunny walk in the countryside.

Margaret
01-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Oh nice Lex the weather is perfect today. You'll still have to face the music on your return though. :p

Lex
01-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Thankfully, I've got a couple of meetings to keep me occupied tomorrow.

rebbonk
01-04-2014, 05:27 PM
I used to hate meetings Lex. I know people who made a whole career from attending meetings!

Have you ever watched John Cleese's 'Meetings, bl**dy meetings?'

Lex
02-04-2014, 09:26 AM
No, I've never seen it - but I can imagine what it'll be like; I think a lot of people where I work have seen it and used it as a bisis for running their meetings!

rebbonk
02-04-2014, 10:15 AM
We used to play b*ll*x bingo during meetings.

It was quite amusing when those not in the know used to hear someone call out!

I really used to hate meetings, I always saw them as unnecessary and unproductive. Most meetings could be covered by making a couple of phone calls.

In my opinion, meetings are a corporate disease.

In over 30 years of working, the number of meetings that I attended that were really worthwhile, or even run properly, I could count on the fingers of 2 hands.

Margaret
05-04-2014, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=rebbonk;21502]We used to play b*ll*x bingo during meetings.

It was quite amusing when those not in the know used to hear someone call out!

You mean someone would call out b*ll*x ? :D

Margaret
05-04-2014, 04:10 PM
I wish the weather would cheer up a bit, we got rain here. :rolleyes:

Gladys
05-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Ditto- its that horrible fine drizzly stuff and its cold.

rebbonk
05-04-2014, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=rebbonk;21502]You mean someone would call out b*ll*x ? :D

Yes, that was the rule!

Got myself into trouble more than once, but mostly those that were not too far up their own butt could see the funny side.

Edited to add, it was most often the Americans (we were at one stage owned by them) that used to get upset. The Germans just thought we were mad!

Margaret
05-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Hope you didn't need any translators. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8tfioOKvU

Lex
05-04-2014, 08:17 PM
We used to play b*ll*x bingo during meetings.

I know that game! I use my own variation, though; as soon as we sit down and the meeting begins, I shout b****ks, and fall asleep!

rebbonk
05-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Lex, I used to do a lot of after hours courses. I was virtually guaranteed to fall asleep. Thing was, I snore!

rebbonk
05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Hope you didn't need any translators. :)

It was always fun with the Japanese ( who despite popular opinion, never did own us!)

Lex
06-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Lex, I used to do a lot of after hours courses. I was virtually guaranteed to fall asleep. Thing was, I snore!

Fortunately, I don't snore - there's generally someone else in the meeting who does though!

Margaret
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
That's me back from church, we stopped off for a coffee and a snack in the Priors and what do I see coming down the escalator, a bloke and his girl covered in tattoos arms neck face, shaven head, he had a T-shirt on with a large upside down cross on the front and on the back of his T-shirt had written, Worship Satan. Oh well, if that's what satan has done for him, then I don't want to know, hahahaa! I'm afraid the last laugh will be on him, sad actually.

Took the opportunity of the lovely weather and mowed the grass. Like every body does, you hear mowers everywhere. :D

rebbonk
09-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Oh well, to each his own Margaret! To be fair, that type of thing is quite common around Coventry, but it ain't nice. A few years back, as a bit of a joke after we'd had a meet at the University, I took a mate into a pub known for that type of thing. Poor chap has never come back to Coventry! He was actually rendered speechless by what he saw.

I notice our lawn could do with a bit of a trim, it's been a couple of weeks since it saw the mower. However, since we have a big dog, I don't like cutting it too short.

Margaret
09-04-2014, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=.

I notice our lawn could do with a bit of a trim, it's been a couple of weeks since it saw the mower. However, since we have a big dog, I don't like cutting it too short.[/QUOTE]

Why is that Rebbonk?

rebbonk
09-04-2014, 03:34 PM
I find that dog urine tends to scorch and kill off very short grass, by leaving it that bit longer it stays nice and green. So much so that the lovely dark shade is the envy of my neighbours, who stupidly keep cutting theirs so short that it exposes the roots!

BTW, have you met my girl?

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/rebbonk3/used%20as%20uploaded/NewPicture.png~original

Look at this, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth!

Oh yes...

Margaret
09-04-2014, 05:05 PM
She's lovely, looks like she lets you know whose boss . :D

rebbonk
09-04-2014, 05:13 PM
From day 1 she's had her own way.

She was in poor shape when we got her, but has responded nicely over the years. She's gotten me into lots of trouble with Mrs Rebbonk, especially when she decided to go swimming in the canal. I had to lift her out, it was the middle of winter and we were both soaked.

I got an almighty telling off, and was left on the doorstep wringing wet. The dog, on the other hand, was treated to a towelling down, a fireside seat and her favourite treats. For about a week afterwards, every time I came into the room, Mrs Rebbonk made disparaging comments such as, "watch out my baby, the nasty man will get you all wet again!"

Margaret
09-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Was she chasing ducks?

Reminds me of the time we took an uncle's dog, a springer spaniel,to the beach with us, she didn't go in the sea but she went in deep rock pool of water and we had a job getting her out, her bum was a bit heavy, hehe! Everywhere she went , through the glens she would find a stream and walk in it. I have very fond memories of her and my uncle and aunt.
Poppy,(the dog), would sit with her head in your lap and look up at you with those beautiful eyes of hers as if she was lonely and never petted, ahh, the sweet memories, I loved that dog.

rebbonk
09-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Oh yes, it was ducks!

It was like something out of Tom and Jerry. She stalked the ducks, they watched her then calmly jumped into the canal as she got near. She had no chance of catching them, but then she decided that if they could swim, so could she! It really was quite funny, until I arrived home and got a telling off!

Oddly enough, the previous dog we had chased a canoeist along the very same stretch of canal. He was a bit easier to haul out once he was tired and the canoe had passed.

Lex
19-05-2014, 08:41 PM
A very sad day today. I went to the funeral of a friend's wife this afternoon; they'd been married for over 40 years, and my friend looked like his world had ended.

rebbonk
19-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Lex, I used to find funerals upsetting and depressing. Then someone suggested that I ought to look on them as the celebration of a person's life. - It made one heck of a difference.

As we get older, we do attend more funerals, but looking at it this was has helped me immeasurably.

Mind you, I still get upset at youngsters' funerals.

Lex
20-05-2014, 08:19 AM
I still see funerals as saying 'goodbye' to people and do the, and that's probably why I get upset!

Gladys
20-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Lex, I am sorry for your sadness and the loss of your friend's wife.I am sure he's knocked for six and it makes the point we are never ready to let go of our loved ones. Whilst Funerals are about celebrating someone's life and paying tribute to them, a funeral is a very final ' goodbye ' because that's it. Its an abrupt end to what we all take for granted until we realise it happens to us all eventually. The fact that You'll never see them again as you do in life. That to me is the harsh truth and the sadness all of that evokes. The death of a young person seems an unnatural course of the event of life and the opportunities stolen from them in their death is just wrong. I guess there is also that unseen thing that is intangible. The fact that whilst one person can live beyond 100 years and yet another barely lives a few hours or not at all. How does one person get a near miss in not boarding that plane and then those that did all die? The saying ' when your number is up, its up' rings true for me and there's nothing you can do to alter it except live each day and appreciate the people you have in your life to the fullest.

Lex
13-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Nothing much of interest seems to be happening in Warwickshire of late (at least, nothing of note seems to be making its way to the local papers' websites); does anyone have any local gossip to share?

rebbonk
13-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Well, the Galley Common residents are a bit upset at the moment...

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/Villagers-fight/story-26161754-detail/story.html

Lex
15-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Wow, the Secretary of State's involved. You'd think there's an election coming up. ;)

Margaret
16-03-2015, 06:19 PM
In Stratford today, I noticed two beggars sitting outside a bank, right by the cash point.
This is the first time I have noticed beggars in Stratford, has this become a recent thing, or maybe I just haven't noticed. Why is it beggars always have a fag in one hand and a can of booze in the other?

:)

cathidaw
17-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Outside Sainsburys in Stratford sits a man with a dog.People buy him food and stuff from the shop.My granddaughter gets quite indignant when I say he's probably got more money than us. I always allow her to give something (of her own) as I don't want to curb her altruistic nature.
There is also one in Coventry Stoke outside Tesco .People buy him sandwichesand drinks .He lived in a box in the doorway of HSBC bank and was moved on -after some months.He has now got a brand new tent and is living under the trees at the edge of the council car park.
How long before others join him.

cathidaw
17-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Ah, south Warwickshire! Now, had you been in North Warwickshire, perhaps it might have been different?

Warwickshire divide grows say 'experts' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24840712)

My green bin disappeared.A new one was delivered in the afternoon. How's that!!

rebbonk
17-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Not bad Cathidaw.

My son had one stolen from Walsgrave, it took our useless council months to replace it.

Lex
17-03-2015, 04:47 PM
In Stratford today, I noticed two beggars sitting outside a bank, right by the cash point.
This is the first time I have noticed beggars in Stratford, has this become a recent thing, or maybe I just haven't noticed. Why is it beggars always have a fag in one hand and a can of booze in the other?

:)

There's one or two beggars in Stratford - the Sainsbury's one, and another one who sits by gates next to Poundland, and yet another who locates himself outside the gates of Holy Trinity on Sunday mornings.

Lex
17-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Oh, and there's the drunks who lurk round the market place on Rother Street. But they keep to themselves, and don't bother anyone (ex-mayor Cyril Bennis occasionally has a go at them, and they have a go back; can't say I blame them - I met him once & he's one of those people who most people seem to take an instant dislike to)

Lex
25-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Not sure what I'm going to do with the imminent long weekend yet; what's everyone else up to?

rebbonk
25-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Must be honest, until about two minutes before I read this thread I had no idea that it was a bank-holiday weekend. One of the perks (or not depending on your view) of being retired is that these things mean very little. I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want. Even the banks being closed doesn't matter as I can get cash from the supermarket.

However, to answer your question Lex, if we get a couple of nice days I want to take an extended walk along the canal with the dog. I haven't done so yet as the place I intended leaving the canal and picking up the road back has had a bit of a dispute with an idiot land-owner who illegally closed off a footpath. Apparently he's now learned the error of his ways. So Spencer and myself will be exercising and no doubt imbibing at several canal-side pubs.

Lex
26-08-2015, 07:52 PM
That's something I often do myself, Rebbonk (although I don't have a dog!) There's a couple of nice stretches of canal in the area with decent pubs just off the tow path; I might take myself for a wonder on Monday....

rebbonk
27-08-2015, 08:32 AM
I recommend a dog Lex. Mine (and the previous one) gets me into all sorts of interesting situations. Spencer is a real ice breaker and talking point. People (especially the ladies!) seem to love him.

The only down side is that there are some pubs that don't welcome dogs, but they tend to be more city centre type venues than canal-side.

Unfortunately, I think that this dog will be my last. Akitas are reckoned to live about 15 years and that will leave me quite an old man. Historically our dogs have had long lives. Oslo was almost 19 and we'd had him 13 years; Willow was about 15 and we'd had her 11 years, so we have reasonable hopes for the present one.

Incidentally, as I write this he's looking at my screen, making his typical 'muttering' and grunting noises, whilst nudging me with his head. He's telling me that he wants a biscuit! - Oh yes, they're all characters with their own personalities.

Lex
27-08-2015, 08:10 PM
I've occasionally contemplated getting a dog, but owing to a generally busy life where I'm in and out at all hours, it wouldn't seem fair on the poor pooch who'd get lumbered with me - no regular walks or feeding times!

rebbonk
27-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes, I can understand that Lex.

We didn't take our first one until Mrs Rebbonk had stopped work. Other than short interludes after deaths we haven't been without once since.

As you say, you have to be fair to the dog, they're social animals and need company.

Lex
30-08-2015, 12:28 PM
That's something I often do myself, Rebbonk (although I don't have a dog!) There's a couple of nice stretches of canal in the area with decent pubs just off the tow path; I might take myself for a wonder on Monday....

Well, it started raining here in Stratford about an hour ago, and it's putting me off going for s walk tomorrow (probably be very muddy); I'll have to see what conditions are like tomorrow.

rebbonk
30-08-2015, 04:12 PM
I can't remember about the Stratford canal, but the tow path round here is generally quite good. Though I'll get a right rollocking if I go out with the dog and bring him back soaked through!

Lex
31-08-2015, 08:49 AM
The stratford Canal tow path is in generally good condition, although there are a couple of stretches where you can get ankle deep in mud, even if there hasn't been any rain for a few days.

rebbonk
31-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Well, he got me up before 8 this morning and wanted taking out. We got soaked! still, I'll not shrink and now he's had his breakfast he's spark out on the living-room floor. He does smell damp though, despite a good towelling down. - I bet Mrs Rebbonk gives me grief when she eventually surfaces.

Margaret
07-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Is anyone still hearing fireworks around them?
I'm sitting here still listening to banger, rockets, crackles, sonic booms, and gawd knows what else.
I've had enough now. I think people must have too much money to burn.
Maybe they should all go down to Parliament and do the job properly.
Getting old. :mad: :rolleyes:

rebbonk
07-11-2015, 07:50 PM
We had a few on the 5th, the odd one or two last night and not many tonight. I was beginning to think people were feeling the pinch a little.

Of course, we've got Diwali just around the corner, so I guess we can expect a few then.

I'm of the mind that fireworks ought be like they were in the 60s. One night only unless you had a special permit, and never on Sunday!

Lex
09-11-2015, 05:57 PM
There were a few round my way. on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. thankfully, they weren't going off late enough to keep me awake.

Lex
26-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Well, I was on an evening walk by the river in Alcester earlier, and just happened to glance to my left and - much to my amazement - I saw the back end of a grass snake disappear into the undergrowth! A very exciting (and slightly scary!) sight - that was the 1st time I'd ever seen one.

rebbonk
27-07-2016, 08:33 AM
We get all sorts along the canal Lex. I've not seen adders, but apparently they are there. I often talk to fishermen and they see some quite rare animals when they're sitting quiet.

Can't say I like snakes, in fact, they scare me rigid!

Lex
28-07-2016, 05:06 PM
I was glad it was slithering away from me; even though grass snakes are harmless, it would've made me feel very uncomfortable if it was heading towards me!

Shizara
04-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Years ago, I walked a bit into the Blue Mountains in Australia with some family who were living there. I was apprehensive knowing Australia's track record for snakes and other creepy things. Whilst it was an experience in itself I was still like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for a snake to come slithering out. I am pleased to say I didn't see any although it doesn't mean they weren't there.

Lex
21-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Is it me, or is autumn starting to creep up on us? Over the last few days, I've seen a few leaves starting to turn brown on trees, and more being blown about on roads & paths.

rebbonk
21-08-2016, 09:03 PM
I've noticed the nights drawing in very rapidly.

Finebyme
19-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Yes , and I'll be another year older soon. Time goes by too quickly.

Lex
19-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Yes, it does - I've already started my Christmas shopping!

rebbonk
19-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Christmas shopping? What is that? I send money in cards these days ;)

Lex
21-10-2016, 06:11 PM
What's everyone up to this weekend? For me, it's the usual round of housework & food shopping, and maybe a cheeky trip to the pub!

rebbonk
21-10-2016, 07:59 PM
I still have a heater to break up (it'll take me about 6 months!), but other than that I'm walking the dog, having a few pints and likely sleeping a lot. - Tough being retired isn't it? :)

Lex
22-10-2016, 12:35 PM
It's a hard life, Rebbonk!

rebbonk
22-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Oh it is! :)

Lex
22-10-2016, 09:31 PM
*mutters jealously*

rebbonk
02-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Mrs R hasn't been well, so asked me on Tuesday to go and collect her repeat prescription from the local chemist. I traipsed down there, muttering to myself about all sorts of things, especially about how far it was, and that the pub wasn't open yet. After waiting in line, the chemist himself asked me what he could do for me. I requested the prescription. He walked to the rear of the shop, coming back a few minutes later telling me that the prescription would be ready for collection first thing on Thursday. I was a bit disgruntled, but such is life and I went off on my merry little way.

On returning home, Mrs R asked me where her prescription was. I related the tale and she let rip into me. I was a silly, stupid, hopeless, useless man; the prescription would have been in the front drawers not at the rear, the chemist was an idiot and I should have spoken to the very nice girl with the dark hair who knows where things are. Ah, she's feeling better I thought! I retired to my favourite chair, pulled out a book and quietly lost myself in it whilst Mrs R continued to berate me, the world and everything in it!

Roll forward to Wednesday evening. I persuaded my little piranha fish to come for a drink with me. I would walk the dog, she would go to the chemist and get her prescription and we would meet up at the pub for a couple of drinks. As I sat outside the pub waiting for her, the dog was giving me quizzical looks. I explained to him (not that was really interested) that he had to wait for mum because she didn't like walking into pubs on her own. His tail started wagging as he saw mum walking down the road. Oddly though, she was carrying a plastic bag.

We entered the pub, and I settled Mrs R with the dog and went to the bar. Setting the drinks down, I asked her why the bag? Surely her prescription would fit in her pocket? Again, I was told just how useless men are and invited to look in the bag. I did. Two sets of repeat prescriptions! Apparently, the useless chemist had ordered again on Tuesday, but there was a prescription already there for collection and if I'd have spoken to the dark haired girl none of this would have happened.

Deciding it was likely best not to argue, I took a deep swig of my beer and politely muttered, "yes my dear."

Finebyme
02-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Haha! I love your stories rebbonk!

Finebyme
10-03-2017, 03:11 PM
What method to dry cleaners actually use to 'dry' clean ?

I got a pair of curtains dry cleaned and it was ridiculously expensive, I also think they faded slightly.
I reckon I can clean them myself one at a time in the washing machine.

rebbonk
10-03-2017, 07:39 PM
To be honest, the cost of dry cleaning makes me take a gamble with my own washing machine. I've not got it wrong yet. However, my mother ruined many of her fathers' ties by ignoring the advice to dry clean.

Finebyme
11-03-2017, 01:53 AM
I think if I put the curtains on gentle wash cycle , like the wool wash, they should be ok. I shall try that next time. I can put one in at a time. It won't matter much if they shrink just a couple of inches, There is plenty of material of fullness and length.

cathidaw
11-03-2017, 07:37 PM
I believe manufacturers safeguard themselves by the label. If your curtains have faded , go back to the cleaners and discuss it.The spirit based stuff is rather harsh and I'm surprised they still use it i these hi-tech days. Ties are quite different.I made one for an exam once at college-horrid thing-so many bits and so many bias pieces. Never meant to be washed. Mine was never used.
Ever tried ironing one? A very scientific process- so Dont!

rebbonk
11-03-2017, 07:59 PM
I had a mate once work for a very well known high street dry cleaners. Apparently, they 'lost' a few stripes on a light coloured jacket during their cleaning process. He swears to this day, that when the customer complained, a manager drew the stripes back on with a ballpoint pen!

Finebyme
12-03-2017, 06:08 AM
Sounds far fetched maybe. Do they use chemicals to dry clean with?

ps. I should have put this thread in, Over the Garden Fence chat. Maybe move there Rebbonk.

rebbonk
12-03-2017, 07:35 AM
ps. I should have put this thread in, Over the Garden Fence chat. Maybe move there Rebbonk. As requested ;)

Sounds far fetched maybe. Do they use chemicals to dry clean with? My belief is that they use tetrachloroethylene (or they used to). It's not the nicest of chemicals and we used to use it a lot on aircraft. It didn't half whip the natural oils out of your skin, but perversely it was a pleasant feeling liquid to put your hand in. From memory, it also destroyed many 'cheap' plastics.

Finebyme
12-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Thank you Rebbonk.

Finebyme
25-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know of any local beekeepers? I'm looking for local bee keepers/honey farm so that i can order direct.
Thanks.

Lex
25-03-2017, 05:19 PM
These guys might be able to point you in the right direction: https://warwickshirebeekeepers.org.uk/

Finebyme
04-04-2017, 09:03 AM
I found local honey thanks , Lex.

Finebyme
04-04-2017, 09:08 AM
I am tired of all the hyped up crap about Cadbury's leaving off the world Easter on their chocolate eggs and bunnies.
Even the Church of England is sticking their oar in and criticising the Cadubury decision to leave out the Easter celebration. The CofE should stop embarrassing itself, as this pagan tradition of Eggs and little chocolote bunnies is nothing to do with the real meaning of Easter. If the CofE want to object to anything then why don't they object to halal cruel method of slaughtering animals.

Lex
04-04-2017, 08:46 PM
I found local honey thanks , Lex.

Hope it's good stuff.

Lex
04-04-2017, 08:50 PM
I found all the protests about Cadbury's/NT's egg trail pathetic. It's just Cadbury's marketing it's products to the whole country instead of one small section of it. Anyway, it's the CofE's job to promote Easter, not Cadbury's.

Finebyme
13-04-2017, 02:03 PM
I hope everyone has a good Easter break!

https://img.clipartfest.com/5cbc3982fd4ede5ebcc58b7b3fa529b4_-website-spring-break-spring-break-clipart-easter_322-293.gif

Lex
13-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Hope you have a good Easter too, Finebyme. Personally, I'm looking forward to just having a few days off. :cool:

rebbonk
14-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Last Saturday, I experienced a slight problem with the flushing of our toilet. Mrs R complained that she couldn't get it to work at all, but I proved that not to be the case. However, I took a bucket upstairs just in case we had further flushing problems, and then ordered a spare part (a dreadfully expensive £1.00, post free) from Amazon. No further problems manifested themselves until Tuesday morning when I couldn't get it to flush at all. The bucket was pressed into service. I might add, that at this time, Mrs R was still in the land of nod.

Come 11.30 the postman dropped off my ordered part. I was now torn. Did I wait until Mrs R went shopping later in the afternoon, or did I fit it now, missing a TV programme at noon that I had been looking forward to? I opted to fit now.

Twenty minutes later, after much muttering and mumbling the toilet was back in first class flushing order. I cleaned myself and my mess up and went downstairs to watch my programme.

Eventually, she who casts no shadow tumbled out of bed and used said facility. Not a single comment was made to me, until she went into the kitchen and filled the kettle. "Oi, have you been b*ggering about with the water pressure?" she demanded. "This isn't high enough to use the washer!"

A quick turn of the stop-tap later and all is well, but I do wonder why I bother!

cathidaw
20-04-2017, 05:14 PM
I've just comE back from Bude.
'someone' had forgotten to lock my car , left in my drive. Someone got in and ransacked the inside, flinging the contents all over the front lawn. My swimming stuff, towels and gym shoes which I leave in there.The door pockets contents , paper towels, sunglasses and the usual rubbish we collect were scattered all over the inside. There was about a fiver in change in the door-which they missed--but took the stuff from the ash tray....about 5 trolly tokens and a 50p piece.
I did laugh, but didn't laugh when I had to pay the RAC £97 for a new battery which had been ruined by the inside light being left on.

Finebyme
25-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Beautiful hot day again, emptied the water butt to water the various plants and shrubs. Not very newsy I know, but thought I'd share some chit-chat. Keeps the forum going.
I was browsing/shopping in House of Fraser, have noticed that their merchandise is rather depleted compared to when I first moved here. They really have spread it around to make the floors look full. There isn't as much selection as there used to be. I'm just hoping they don't close as well. I wonder if online shopping has done that. I think the most boring job must be in the perfumery department where the women are all tarted up looking like geisha girls with nowhere to go. As I was leaving the store two ladies from the perfumery department were at the doors holding test bottles of perfumes at the ready and offering shoppers if they would like to try. So they must be getting desperate for sales. I think this must be one of the most demoralising jobs, more or less having to accost shoppers before they leave the shop. I noticed Marks&Sparks to that as well when they are promoting biscuits or chocolate , always the rubbish stuff. Sorry, I wouldn't make a good sales person. Doesn't appeal to me.

Lex
25-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Yes, it's been a great few days. It's been hellish in the office, though; instead of turning the air conditioning up, some muppet turned the heating on, and it only got turned off this morning. :(

rebbonk
26-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Expected to break for the bank-holiday weekend. - Typical.

I went away late summer of '76. You remember that looooong hot one? - The weather broke the week I went away! :(

Finebyme
26-05-2017, 12:35 PM
Don't you have fans in the office, Lex?

rebbonk
26-05-2017, 03:45 PM

No, they're all online on here. Boom boom! :)

Lex
26-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Unfortunately, they're few & far between. I bought myself a cheap fan last year, but it died just as the weather started warming up. Buying a new one could be a project over the Bank Holiday...

Finebyme
07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
I had a casualty in the garden this morning. A young blackbird learning to fly flew right bang on the window. I heard a light thud and looked out , there was a baby blackbird knocked himself for six, I carefully picked him up and put I'm in a safer place on the soft grass just under the hydrangea, he was a bit stunned, but he came round ok. He soon started chirping but sat there for a while, then flew off when the parent bird turned up. So I hope he stays safe and not try any high flying tricks for a while.

rebbonk
07-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Well, what a palaver...

Twelve months ago our GP retired. His practice was taken on by a new guy, who for whatever reason has decided to now pull the plug. The practice is located in a nearby medical centre along with two other GP practices.

Last week we had a notice from the NHS informing us that we needed to find a new GP. Helpfully, the notice included several GP practices reasonably local who were taking on new patients. Interestingly, the two that shared the medical centre were taking on.

I downloaded the relevant forms from the NHS website, completed them and dispatched Mrs R (Please remember I am afflicted by gout at the moment, I'm not a lazy pig!) down to the centre to register us with one of the existing practices. She returned 30 minutes later telling me that the new practice wanted proof of I/D. - A couple of letters should do. She returned with adequate I/D only to be informed that they now wanted birth certificates. Mrs R explained that she doubted if we had them (wrong as it happens) and the receptionist suggested that she try to register at the other practice as they 'weren't so fussy!'

So, Mrs R went to the other end of the centre and had a word with the receptionist. No problem, she gave her a couple of forms, told her to return with them and the ones of the NHS website and that would be it.

Next day, Mrs R returned with duly completed forms, only to be told that signatures were missing. She signed hers and returned home with mine for me to sign. Looking at the form, I had signed it, but there was another signature required two lines below that we had both missed!

Again, Mrs R returned with my forms only to be told my NHS number was missing. It was, I have no idea what it is as it has been changed from what is on my medical card. (Mrs R has recent prescriptions that she drew hers from.) Mrs R asked the receptionist at the soon to be departed doctor's for the number and was duly obliged. The new GP's receptionist was now happy and we're registered... I hope!

Apart from the faffing about, this shows up why the NHS is short of money. Wouldn't it be far easier for a simple request to transfer the files from one GP to another, along with one signature? Or should I stop being sensible?

Finebyme
07-06-2017, 07:48 PM
OH my goodness Mr. and Mrs. R. you must have the patience of Job. How exasperating.
I think my blood pressure would have been through the roof!
Yes, Rebbonk, I would have asked my GP for my medical records to be transferred.
When I left the hospital I worked at, I asked for a copy of my medical records and was duly given them. I don't know if that is allowed, but I think its because I worked in the NHS that the doctors knew me and gave me a copy of my records.
Not that there is much in them.

Lex
27-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Is it me, or are even fewer butterflies filttering around than ever this year?

rebbonk
27-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Can't say I've seen many Lex. But it's still early.

Finebyme
28-06-2017, 01:10 PM
I've seen a few around the garden. Small blues, and brimstones . But no peacocks, or red admirals, or orange tips yet, maybe later in the summer.

Finebyme
02-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Spotted a tortoiseshell and a meadow brown butterfly flitting about, while gardening today.

Lex
02-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I was enjoying a well earned pint in the beer garden of my local this evening (after a long afternoon on the allotment), when a tortoiseshell landed on my shirt. It was really nice to just watch it sit there & enjoy the sun for a moment before it flittered off.

rebbonk
09-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Saturday night and I'd just settled down to watch Taggart, when she who casts no shadow says, "It needs attention you know!"

"Eh," I says. "What are you talking about my little piranha fish?"

"The kitchen sink. It's blocked."

"It wasn't when I used it earlier."

"Well it is now you useless lump!" (Abbreviated version, you understand.)

So I wandered into the kitchen, ran the tap it it all went down the plughole as expected. I gently relayed this to the long haired general who was now curled up with the dog.

"You need to go outside to see it, you useless man!"

So I went outside, and sure enough the drain was exhibiting a slight overflow.

"I'm not looking at that now, I'll do it tomorrow," I said.

"Bl**dy bone idle you are."

I sat back down with her glowering at me.

Sunday morning, I walked the dog, fed him, did the washing up, put the meat in, and then decided that the drain ought be tackled. Looking for a used rubber glove, I couldn't find one, so ripped open a new packet. Outside and into the drain I ventured.

My arm seemed to go deeper into the drain than I remembered it doing last time. (Yes, last time when she poured some chemical down that set like plaster of paris.) The glove wasn't long enough and horrible greasy, oily, waste water flooded over the top and into the glove itself. The experience wasn't pleasant, I can tell you.

Finally, reaching the bottom of the drain I felt something soft. Thoughts of Spencer dropping dead animals in there briefly crossed my mind before I reminded myself that there was a cover on it to stop such things. Taking a deep breath I grabbed whatever it was and withdrew my arm.

There was a sudden suction as the water started disappearing at a great rate of knots. I wasn't sure if I was going to be sucked into the swirling vortex. But struggling against the current I dragged my arm, hand and booty out. Looking into my hand was the largest fur-ball I'd ever seen.

Yes, it was hair belonging to the former member of the Waffen SS, from where she'd washed her hair in the kitchen sink.

On eventually rising from her pit, I told her what I'd done and what had caused the problem. The words she uttered will haunt me forever....

"You swine, you've used my marigolds. I'll need to get some new ones this afternoon!"

Lex
09-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Ye Gods; damned f you do, damned if you don't Rebbonk!

cathidaw
10-07-2017, 10:26 PM
About time we had something amusing on this site.

Can you better this one?

or lets SEE A GOOD JOKE OR SAYING.

My Dad was full of funny sayings. One of his favourites we used to beg him NOT to tell-for the FORTY FIFTH TIME time was,

"I knew the bus driver was Irish because he had a shamrock in his turban."

Or in a strange pub, we'd cringe when he would sometimes ask the landlord,
"Is there a brook near here landlord?"
If there was, he'd hold up his glass and say, "I thought so sir."
All in his polite Oxford accent.

rebbonk
25-07-2017, 08:09 AM
I'm outside talking to the neighbour having left a timed dish in the oven.

The timer starts bleeping and the neighbour says, "Sounds like your smoke alarm again, you'd better go and see to it."

I nearly died of embarrassment. I'm always using the timer and don't have a kitchen smoke alarm.

Nice to know what the neighbours think!

rebbonk
30-07-2017, 03:16 PM
She did it again last night! I'd just settled to watch Taggart with a large brandy when she says, "The washing machine won't fix itself you know!"

"Eh? What are you talking about woman?"

"The fabric conditioner isn't going through."

Fortunately, it was only a blocked water feed that took me a few seconds to clear. But I really do wish she'd stop expecting me to be telepathic. - You'd think after 26 odd years she'd know that I'm not.

Lex
11-08-2017, 03:25 PM
After suffering toothache for a few weeks, I finally decided to go to the dentist yesterday and get it looked at. After a couple of minutes poking around and a quick x-ray, she said that there's nothing she could do to save the offending tooth, as it had split down to the root.

So she booked me in today to have my tooth whipped out. At lunchtime, I walked back into the surgery with a mild sense of dread and visions of huge amounts of pain. The only pain I experienced, though, was when my dentist stuck the anaesthetic-loaded syringe into the root of my bad tooth; after that I didn't feel a thing!

Now the drugs are starting to wear off, I'm starting to feel a dull ache where my tooth was, but other than that I've had no side effects apart from sounding like the Elephant Man due to a numb tongue & facial muscles!

rebbonk
11-08-2017, 05:52 PM
I am of the firm opinion that only going to the dentist when in pain is the correct strategy for me. Like you, Lex, I had a tooth that was cracked all the way down into the root. But my dentist suggested that he might be able to fix it with root canal work.

I asked how much and nearly choked when he said £200. I then asked about the chances of success and he reckoned 50/50. He seemed mightily put out when I said, "Take it out!" No pain at all and the gum healed over quite quickly.

I've had a couple of teeth removed from my lower jaw, and what I've found is that over time the rest move to almost fill the gaps. I'll never have compacted wisdom teeth!

Lex
11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
That's where they make their money. I asked about having an insert (a false tooth fixed into the jaw), and it will cost £2,000 to have it done as the procedure's not available on the NHS. My dentist didn't seem to think it was worth it anyway, as it's a back tooth, and I'm inclined to agree with her.

All in all, I was impressed with the dentist handled things; I'll definitely be going back to her for check ups.

rebbonk
14-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Walking the dog the last couple of mornings (7:30 ish) I've noticed it's quite chilly. I've also noticed lots of berries on the canal side trees, which I think are very early. Nasty winter on the way?

Lex
14-08-2017, 03:10 PM
I've noticed the chilly mornings & ripening berries too. I'm making some carrot soup at the minute, but am thinking about doing a bit of blackberrying once I'm done.

Lex
15-08-2017, 07:33 PM
I'm making some carrot soup at the minute, but am thinking about doing a bit of blackberrying once I'm done.

Went a bit overboard with the blackberrying this evening- 1.2 kilos!

rebbonk
16-08-2017, 07:58 AM
We used to do that as kids. Mum used to make lovely blackberry and apple pies.

Lex
16-08-2017, 05:39 PM
I was thinking about apple & blackberry crumble, and perhaps a few on my cereal in the mornings, but it's now evolving into bramble jelly!

Lex
23-08-2017, 06:04 PM
What's everyone up to over the Bank Holiday?

rebbonk
23-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Same as usual Lex. When you're retired, every day is a holiday.

Or, more sinisterly as someone once said to me, "Every day above ground is a good 'un!"

Lex
24-08-2017, 07:11 PM
I'll be off to the Plum Festival in Pershore over the weekend. I stumbled into it last August Bank Holiday & really enjoyed it.

rebbonk
25-08-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm thinking of writing another business book. I'll probably use the time to do some research on it. - Unless Mrs R decides otherwise!

rebbonk
25-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Lex, if you like Plums, try this...

Jamie Oliver recipe (https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/plum-tarte-tatin?)

Lex
25-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks Rebbonk - looks a great recipe!

Lex
08-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Just had a busy morning making bramble jelly & rhubarb jam. Both came out ok, seeing as it's my first attempt at jam-making. :D

rebbonk
08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Good on you. I started in the kitchen late in life, but really enjoy it- as long as I have the time!

Lex
08-09-2017, 06:46 PM
I really enjoy cooking - basic stuff, mostly. Treated myself to a beef brisket from a local butcher today, which will keep me going for most of the next week.

rebbonk
09-09-2017, 07:50 AM
I had a b*ll*cking about the last piece of brisket I did!

It was quite a large piece (note, Mrs R bought it!) and I cooked it in the slow cooker with onions and beef stock. It was lovely and tender and really tasty, and lasted the two of us 3 days.

Mrs R complained that it was too 'strong' tasting and ended up giving quite a lot of hers to the dog. - It was all my fault!

Now, Thursday of this last week we were having a beef casserole, but I didn't think we had enough meat for it. I asked Mrs R to get a little more when she went shopping. She brought back a rather nice piece of brisket(!) which I cubed and added to the casserole. All cooked in the slow cooker along with carrots, onions and a beef stock. Not a single word of complaint!

Women!

Lex
26-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Has a very strange experience today - I actually saw a BMW driver use their indicators! :eek:

rebbonk
26-09-2017, 08:00 PM
You know the rules Lex, pictures or it didn't happen.

http://dailypicdump.com/media/20160808/worlds-useless-job.jpg

A Day in the Diary of a BMW Driver

"The other day I was cruising along as usual coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.

Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane.

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110 mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph! Naturally, I got within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would outrun him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver’s licence to a police station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They're not free points either - they're £20 each and I was only allowed 3.)

But the man at the police station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me!

See, now THAT'S the sort of respect you get when you own and drive a BMW!"

Lex
27-09-2017, 04:16 PM
You know the rules Lex, pictures or it didn't happen.

I was so shocked, Rebbonk, I didn't even think to get my phone out to take a picture.

Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110 mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph! Naturally, I got within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

An Audi driver did that to me a few weeks ago. A sharp tap on the breaks usually makes them back off a bit, but this moron decided to swerve out into oncoming traffic in order to overtake me.

rebbonk
28-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Years ago I worked for a research centre. A colleague travelled by motorway to work and was regularly complaining of being hassled by cars trying to overtake him. He fitted a touch switch on his dashboard that would operate his brake lights. He reckoned it was magic to watch their faces in the rear view mirror as his brakes came 'on' and he accelerated away.

Finebyme
30-09-2017, 12:05 PM
I need some advice on experiences with shared ownership of a property, what are the downfalls or benefits , if any. Is it hard to sell on your shared part?

rebbonk
30-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Assuming you mean part rent-part buy...

Have a read of these two articles.
Home Owners Alliance (http://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for-homeowners/i-am-buying/shared-ownership-what-to-watch-out-for/)
Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2013/sep/03/hidden-dangers-shared-ownership)

Personally speaking I wouldn't touch one.

My son has just bought property and I warned him that it was the wrong time to buy. One month in and we are hearing murmurs from the BOE that interest rates are going to rise. I hope he's done his finances properly and can cover the 15%+ that hit me.

Just my personal thoughts, the housing market is overvalued and at some stage (maybe not too far ahead) a massive correction is going to take place. Those unaware will get badly burned.

Finebyme
30-09-2017, 04:21 PM
That's right Rebbonk, I mean part rent-part buy. Having read the link and and your your cautionary reply, I think we shall stay well clear of shared ownership. It is for my son who is presently looking in the Warwick area for a 1 bedroom property, flat or maisonette type abode. There has been a few around but on the lower end of the market , some which need a good deal renovating or a bit of work done on them, we are finding they are quickly snapped up by landlords who do them up to rent out. He really needs to be nearer work, as he cycles to work, no car at present, working long hours etc. We were looking at one possibility in Leamington, but the stairs were very steep and black mould round all the windows, damp in the kitchen, damp bedroom ceiling for some reason , there must be a leak in the roof. no central heating. It would be good if he could wait another year before buying maybe, but for reasons I won't mention here , he needs to get a place soon.
He wasn't 100% keen on the part ownership scheme, but now it seems it can get complex he shall shelve the idea.

Lex
30-09-2017, 04:21 PM
I looked into shared ownership when I was looking at buying my own property, and it just seemed to be an expensive way of doing things - you're making monthly mortgage repayments on the part you own, and pay rent on the rest. It was an option I gave a wide berth to.

Lex
30-09-2017, 04:26 PM
That's a problem I had when I was buying, Finebyme. As soon as a flat came onto the market, more often than not it was snapped up within hours by a landlord who could buy it for cash. Sellers would much rather take the money now than wait for weeks for someone to sort their mortgage out.

Finebyme
30-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks Lex, It's no wonder the estate agents are trying to push the shared ownership malarky, there are quite a few properties around that do that, but no, I think my son will not go down that route. Its good to get your opinion too .
Quite frustrating though , I have noticed that there is a lot of nice little retirement flats within my sons budget , quite affordable for him, but of course the age limit prevents him from buying those. It is a great pity that younger hard working people like my son can't get on the property rung easily, even though he can afford a small mortgage.

Lex
12-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Well, it's been a long day and there's nothing on the tellybox; think I might treat myself to a quiet pint in my local. :beerchug:

rebbonk
12-10-2017, 07:08 PM
I quite fancy the Trevor McDonald prog at 9:00. Bit of a rarity for me to watch TV.

rebbonk
15-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Earlier in the week the washing was out on the line and it started to rain. I dashed out, scooped the lot up brought it in and folded it, leaving it neatly on the settee.

Later in the day, Mrs R asked me if I'd brought a pair of her knickers in. I honestly had no idea as it was all done in a hurry.

She then complained that a pair were missing.

Despite me saying that there was no way we had a knicker nicker on the loose, she wouldn't have it. No matter what logical argument I put forward, I was wrong. - It was also all my fault!

Yesterday when she moved the settee to vac behind it, yes, there was the missing pair of knickers. But somehow it's all my fault! :(

Finebyme
15-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Folded the washing? You are a well trained servant!

(p.s. I don't hang smalls out)

rebbonk
15-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Folded the washing? You are a well trained servant!

From the days of living alone. I'm not one for piles of washing around, dirty or otherwise. Plus folding it cuts down severely on the ironing. - I can't remember when we last had our iron out.

Finebyme
15-10-2017, 12:32 PM
From the days of living alone. I'm not one for piles of washing around, dirty or otherwise. Plus folding it cuts down severely on the ironing. - I can't remember when we last had our iron out.

So very true, I do the same.

rebbonk
16-10-2017, 07:15 PM
I saw an old school friend have a very public breakdown on facebook over the weekend. In truth it was tragic to see. He's now in hospital waiting to be moved to a psychiatric ward.

Am I alone in finding mental health issues so difficult to understand and deal with?

Lex
17-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Yes, it's difficult for 'the man in the street' to deal with, especially with extreme cases like your friends'. One of the few good things the BBC has done in recent years is give a lot of coverage to mental health, with the aim of promoting the issue.

rebbonk
18-10-2017, 08:57 AM
The guy actually admitted yesterday that his 'performance' on facebook was a cry for help. Why didn't he ring the appropriate services? Why allow people to think he is little more than a facebook drama queen?

So very difficult to understand...

I think he was very lucky that he had enough friends locally to respond.

cathidaw
20-10-2017, 08:47 PM
It is much easier to write how you feel than to speak.
On face book although you get replies which you may like or not, there is more time to think of an answer to the replies.
It would save a lot of heartache and tears if people could write down how they feel and pass it to the doctor when they see him. My brother who lives in Devon, always makes notes too, whenever he has to see his G P. which the doc says he appreciates.
I worked for social services years ago and advised persons , depressed or in some sort of emotional distress to do this. I found that the doctor was less likely to tell them to snap out of it, or treat it lightly, as most of them did.
Even now, with all this publicity about mental health,doctors need to be taught bedside'or 'surgery' manners.
I've met a few in my time, who do their job with no sympathy at all. Hearts of stone.
I wonder if nowadays some medical experts have a vocation or a job..

Finebyme
21-10-2017, 12:05 PM
I guess doctors become immune to feelings of sympathy , they are dealing with illnesses day in and day out. In a similar way nurses can become seemingly unsympathetic and matter of fact , when on the wards, as they have to just get on with the job and hide their feelings sometimes. But it doesn't mean they don't get upset inside. What used to upset me working on the wards, was if a patient died in the night without anyone with them.

Finebyme
21-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Turning to the weather front, It is blustery out there, I think Storm Brian has arrived! Stay safe indoors everyone!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/83uGtKibYcNvW/giphy.gif

rebbonk
21-10-2017, 03:26 PM
It's a bit breezy here, but nothing to write home about. - We were right on the edge of the yellow warning zone.

I've got to walk the dog later (after the footy fans have gone home) so I'll hope it doesn't get any worse.

Lex
21-10-2017, 07:13 PM
It's been blustery down my neck of the woods over the last 24 hours - my loganberry & raspberry canes have all been blown down on my allotment - but nothing major. It's only just started raining in the last hour.

Finebyme
21-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Oh that's a shame Lex, I hope you were able to rescue them. Did you get many berries from them, I love logan berries and raspberries.

rebbonk
21-10-2017, 07:55 PM
My mum loves logan berries. - You don't seem to see them in the supermarket very often these days.

Well, the weather forecast was wide of the mark round here. A 'stiff' breeze is how I would describe things and it has just started drizzling.

Lex
21-10-2017, 07:56 PM
I only got a few of each this year, but it was their 1st season in their locations on my plot (a friend gave me the raspberry canes, and the loganberry was moved from patch to another), so I wasn't expecting much anyway. I just took the opportunity to cut them back & mulch them in horse muck in readiness for spring a couple of weeks earlier than I originally planned. :)

Finebyme
21-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Horse muck :p , I expect they will be delicious bumper crop next year! :D

Lex
21-10-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping for great things for next year. Already got my crops planned - runner beans (5 varieties), carrots, parsnips, suedes & spuds (I'm researching heritage varieties).

As well as these, I've got my 'permanent' crops - gooseberries, loganberries, apples (bramley & christmas pippin), rhubarb, red & black currants, and asparagus (which won't be ready to harvest for a couple of years yet).

Lex
21-10-2017, 08:52 PM
These are my 2 favourite potato varieties so far, being good for most types of cooking:
160 Violetta

161 Shetland Black 1923

Finebyme
22-10-2017, 11:44 AM
These are my 2 favourite potato varieties so far, being good for most types of cooking:
160 Violetta

161 Shetland Black 1923

I've never seen those varieties of spuds, have you tasted them. I am very fond of the American sweet potato, don't know why we can't grow them here.

Lex
22-10-2017, 01:25 PM
I'd not come across them either, until I started looking into heritage varieties. Thought I'd give them a try as something a bit different.

rebbonk
24-10-2017, 09:39 AM
This amused me, but I think it sums things up quite nicely...

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party

I think the Major of London is wonderful. He has brought in a new "T Charge" that will for £10.00 remove all toxicity from my car, whilst driving in London. Unfortunately once I go outside the T Charge area my car will once again spew out toxic fumes.

And there's more...

If you have a car that's toxic and you're rich, on business or use a firm’s car, this expense can be claimed on your tax as a business expense. So in one stoke The major of London has deterred all those scumbag lowlife poor people who pay their own expenses and saved up to buy a (Government) recommended diesel or cheaper car, from entering the exclusive clean air of Central London. This will no doubt be rolled out across the country when other authorities realise they can add to their depleted coffers using this scam.

On a seerius point I think everyone applauds genuine efforts to clean up our air, but please don't use dodgy air or too many vehicles to justify what is blatantly another tax on Vehicle Drivers.

r.u.seerius
Please note the opinions above are not necessarily loony party policy and should be taken with a pinch of salt (twice daily)

rebbonk
28-10-2017, 07:59 PM
After the week we've just had I didn't think things could get any worse. - Wrong!

I've just fielded a call from Mrs R's daughter. Mrs R's very elderly mother has been hospitalised and it doesn't look good.

What a bl**dy week.

Finebyme
29-10-2017, 04:20 AM
Sorry to hear that Rebbonk.
They say it never rains but it pours.

rebbonk
29-10-2017, 07:40 AM
They say it never rains but it pours.

Doesn't it just!

cathidaw
02-11-2017, 10:03 PM
My mum loves logan berries. - You don't seem to see them in the supermarket very often these days.

Well, the weather forecast was wide of the mark round here. A 'stiff' breeze is how I would describe things and it has just started drizzling.
My 5 year old fig tree is loaded this year. My son is making fig and ginger jam next week.He doesn't know yet.!!

cathidaw
02-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Hope it doesn't rain too much over the next few weeks. I'm having an owl box made, so when my trees are pruned this year the tree surgeon is going to fix it for me. It has to be about 5 metres from the ground so I'm hoping to attract an Olly in the groove of the trunk.
Hope it works. It will cut the amount of pigeons too.

Finebyme
03-11-2017, 09:05 AM
My 5 year old fig tree is loaded this year. My son is making fig and ginger jam next week.He doesn't know yet.!!

Cathy, I didn't know that figs ripened in this country, I love figs. When I lived in Kent, our house was next to a nursing home with a fabulous big fig tree in the garden. (I can't recall if it produced fruit), I don't know how old it was but it looked quite big and mature. It overhung our garden and gave us some privacy. I loved the big leaves. But eventually a neighbour next to the nursing home complained that the roots were too near his garage, causing damage , which I think was exaggerated nonsense. Sadly, however, the beautiful fig tree had to go, it was cut down and destroyed!

Finebyme
03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
I'm sure most of us are aware the neighbourhood watch scheme.
Just this morning I answered the door to what you might call a scruffy , dodgy looking bloke enquiring if I wanted any gardening tools sharpened. He started off by saying he had done work for us in the past, when that it a blatant lie, I had never seen him before. I don't normally open the door to callers, but I did feel a little vulnerable, and quickly said, no thanks. Normally if I am on my own, I go out the back door and out the back gate to see who is there. They have no chance if they wanted to try something funny.

cathidaw
03-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Cathy, I didn't know that figs ripened in this country, I love figs. When I lived in Kent, our house was next to a nursing home with a fabulous big fig tree in the garden. (I can't recall if it produced fruit), I don't know how old it was but it looked quite big and mature. It overhung our garden and gave us some privacy. I loved the big leaves. But eventually a neighbour next to the nursing home complained that the roots were too near his garage, causing damage , which I think was exaggerated nonsense. Sadly, however, the beautiful fig tree had to go, it was cut down and destroyed!
I didn't know at the time but fig trees need a restricted growth area for the roots.Quite by chance we planted it in an old concrete fishpond in the garden.

rebbonk
03-11-2017, 03:56 PM
I'm sure most of us are aware the neighbourhood watch scheme.
Just this morning I answered the door to what you might call a scruffy , dodgy looking bloke enquiring if I wanted any gardening tools sharpened. He started off by saying he had done work for us in the past, when that it a blatant lie, I had never seen him before. I don't normally open the door to callers, but I did feel a little vulnerable, and quickly said, no thanks. Normally if I am on my own, I go out the back door and out the back gate to see who is there. They have no chance if they wanted to try something funny.

We regularly get this type of thing. I have absolutely no qualms about telling them to b*gger off and shutting the door. Mrs R makes the mistake of engaging with them, then can't get rid of them.

rebbonk
16-11-2017, 04:07 PM
WARMING!!!

If youse gets a link called 'free porn' dont opin it?!!#*

It is a birus wich deactivate you spellcheck and garblis up you riting. I also receibed it but lukily I dont does porn so I dint opin it.

Warn al1 you vriends!

cathidaw
16-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Fanx fu the wornin.

I get annoyed with the ones who phone and wait to clear their throats before they speak. You know the ones, usually named Roger, Henry, or even Brian, with an accent as thick as black treacle

Lex
16-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Hahahah!! :D

Finebyme
18-11-2017, 03:58 PM
I don't think human head transplants could ever work!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3029376/Russian-volunteer-head-transplant-operation-Valery-Spiridonov-says-no-choice-undergo-7-5million-procedure-controversial-Italian-surgeon-Dr-Sergio-Canavero.html

Lex
10-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Due to the amount of snow, I'm having a rare day of lounging around doing nothing.

rebbonk
10-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Most days are like that for me Lex, it's called being retired ;)

Finebyme
10-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Just relax and enjoy your Sunday lunch, then, have a nap, or maybe watch a film. We've had to clear the driveway of snow and getting to the garden we made a clear patch to feed the birds. It is still snowing though.

Lex
10-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Most days are like that for me Lex, it's called being retired ;)

All right, don't rub it in!! :p

I finally gave into boredom, and ventured out for a couple of pints at lunchtime.

cathidaw
11-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Fanx fu the wornin.

I get annoyed with the ones who phone and wait to clear their throats before they speak. You know the ones, usually named Roger, Henry, or even Brian, with an accent as thick as black treacle

today i had a Jeffry call me.

Finebyme
13-12-2017, 04:59 PM
On the Buses.

During this cold weather I often feel sorry for young mothers waiting at the bus stop with their baby in pushchair and often can't get on the bus when the designated area for them it is already occupied by another mother with baby or a wheelchair. So it means the mothers with babies, have to wait in the cold until the next bus comes along. I know there is no easy solution to this problem, but I often think if mum folds up her push chair. it can fit in the little compartment used for bags, but this never seems to happen. Some baby buggies are small enough to fold up. I often want to suggest this but it is awkward.

rebbonk
13-12-2017, 05:26 PM
I once saw a woman get on the bus after taking her baby out of the buggy. When the driver queried her leaving the buggy, her response was, "I'll tell the social I had it stolen, they'll give me money for another!"

Finebyme
13-12-2017, 05:36 PM
That is pretty dishonest so she will get a new one.

The cultural critic, Dr. Theo Dalrimple tells the story of when he was a doctor was called to a house of a young woman one of whose children he had to treat. Looking into the back garden he saw that the whole area was strewn with rubbish. She saw the doctor looking outside and said. '' Oh don't worry about that doctor, I'll phone up the Council to get them to remove it.'' So she couldn't ever be bothered to take personal responsibility to remove her own rubbish or even make an effort because she knew that if she phoned up the council and complained, they would have to remove it.

Lex
21-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Just had a bit of a shock. I've just taken some rubbish out to the communal bins for the complex I live in, and a bleeding great rat jumped out of one of the bins, which was overloaded while the others were virtually empty, and scuttled away under the fence of the bin area.
An email was promptly dispatched to the management company, asking them to remind all the residents not to overfill bins, as I don't want a rat problem!!

cathidaw
23-12-2017, 10:05 PM
That is pretty dishonest so she will get a new one.

The cultural critic, Dr. Theo Dalrimple tells the story of when he was a doctor was called to a house of a young woman one of whose children he had to treat. Looking into the back garden he saw that the whole area was strewn with rubbish. She saw the doctor looking outside and said. '' Oh don't worry about that doctor, I'll phone up the Council to get them to remove it.'' So she couldn't ever be bothered to take personal responsibility to remove her own rubbish or even make an effort because she knew that if she phoned up the council and complained, they would have to remove it.

I was in Nuneaton council house a couple of years ago when I heard a young couple haranguing the people behind the counter because his letter box rattled and let the draught in. And that this was the third time he'd been in about it.
Poor stupid souls !!

rebbonk
28-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Christmas TV

Whilst I'm not normally a TV watcher, I've been forced to watch a few hours over the holiday period. I can only say that everything I saw was absolute rubbish.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Lex
29-12-2017, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't put it as politely as 'rubbish'. If I wrote what I really thought about the TV over Christmas, I'd have to ban myself from WOL for offensive language!!

rebbonk
29-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts Lex. ;)

Lex
29-12-2017, 01:36 PM
You're definitely not alone in that!

cathidaw
29-12-2017, 10:22 PM
NEW TO ME THIS CHRISTMAS.

Watching about 300 people running into the sea on Christmas morning on Bude beach.Wishing I could have joined them..........all for charity.
Maybe next year when I shall be walking better..
Strong brandy sauce on ice cream.
Chestnuts roasted with Christmas turkey.
Opening the pineapple gin I made in February.
Getting there in under 4 hours.

Lex
30-12-2017, 06:54 AM
I like the sound of brandy sauce on ice cream, Cathi.

rebbonk
30-12-2017, 09:09 AM
I like the idea of pineapple gin. - Care to share your knowledge Cathi?

cathidaw
30-12-2017, 11:33 PM
EASY.
1 bottle of gin--cheap will do.
One large pineapple PEELED and chopped
Half pound of sugar
one squeezed lemon. or lemon juice

Mix all together and add gin in large bowl or something.
Cover and leave for six weeks.gently stir every now and again/or when you remember

later stir and strain-fine strainer..Have a bigger bottle ready as it makes ANOTHER HALF PINT or (drink the surplus.) Then when sober again, put away 'til about9 months or more
With the strained pineapple sediment, allow it to be well strained, put it in a flattish baking tin lined with baking paper and completely cover it with a large bar of gently melted chocolate-I use dark,but any brand, Tesco is cheap.When its set, score and eat it but remember its alcoholic level is high.
This is the best bit for me.
This year I shall try plums blackcurrants..any fruit on special offer and try using stem ginger with the initial fruit.
My son in law used sloes too but hasnt tried it yet.

rebbonk
31-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Thank you Cathi. I fancy having a go at that. :cool:

Lex
02-02-2018, 07:19 PM
I had a pleasant surprise today. I decided to have a day out in Oxford today, and made use of the Park & Ride; as I boarded the bus to the city centre, I was greeted by a bus driver who actually has some customer service skills!!

rebbonk
02-02-2018, 08:20 PM
I like Oxford, but haven't been there for a while. Last time I went I had a loan car (mine was having warranty work done) and some ******* clipped it in a car park. Luckily, my metal working skills and a bit of T-cut and the damage was all but invisible.

Lex
18-05-2018, 07:44 PM
I got back from a few days walking up in Yorkshire this afternoon. Fantastic weather, and some amazing scenery made for a very enjoyable time. :D

rebbonk
19-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Glad you enjoyed it Lex.

We've spent a couple of afternoons at a canal-side pub this week. - Very enjoyable and surprisingly quiet.

Sadly, Monday we are to attend Mrs R's mother's funeral. She was 86 so had a decent innings though the last few years were not of the best quality.

Lex
19-05-2018, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Rebbonk - my condolences. Hope you & Mrs R. are bearing up ok.

rebbonk
19-05-2018, 03:30 PM
We're OK thanks Lex. Mrs R's mother's health hadn't been good for a while, so although a bit of a surprise, it wasn't exactly unexpected.

After the problems earlier this year I thought we'd lose my mum first. IIRC our fathers died within a couple of weeks of each other. - But that was 20 years ago.

rebbonk
21-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Today's funeral was a bit of a non event. The ceremony was very good (non religious) but the sisters from the two marriages are as divided as ever.

Lex
18-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Has a very strange experience today - I actually saw a BMW driver use their indicators! :eek:

It gets stranger; I was following a BMW last week, and the driver used their indicator at 2 consecutive junctions. I nearly crashed!

rebbonk
18-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Having become a BMW driver (I know, I know!) I can tell you that I do indicate. However, I have noticed that other drivers do tend to give me a wide berth and treat me with suspicion. I have also noticed that BMW and Audi drivers seem to be very poor at indicating and lane discipline. -The darker the car, the worse they seem to be.

Lex
19-06-2018, 06:52 PM
I followed another BMW today, which happily refused to indicate & tale-gated the car in front. I felt a bit of normality return to my life. :D

rebbonk
23-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Anyone else spot the Red Arrows skirting North Coventry just before 1300hrs today?

Lex
23-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately, I was the other end of the county. I had read that they were due to make an appearance in the area though.

Lex
05-08-2018, 04:37 PM
I've spent a rather pleasant afternoon in a beer garden with some friends, I'm now sat at home with a glass of wine, waiting for my Sunday dinner to cook. :)

rebbonk
05-08-2018, 07:08 PM
We've just had a big row!

I've always told Mrs R when cutting the lawn to have the electric flex over her shoulder so that she can't inadvertently run the mower over it. She always tells me to b*gger off and mind my own business. She's just run the mower over the cable and sliced it in half!

I'm afraid she got rather a large dose of engineering and sexist, not to mention bad, language. She's now not talking to me, so it hasn't all been bad!

rebbonk
24-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Whilst having a pint by the canal yesterday, I noticed a slight yellowing of the leaves. - Winter's on its way!

Lex
26-08-2018, 07:58 AM
Yep, summer's over - 9 months of rain on the way!

rebbonk
26-08-2018, 09:29 AM
It wasn't raining when I took the dog out this morning, but I was soaked when I returned!

rebbonk
27-08-2018, 05:49 PM
I've just re-taxed the car over the internet.

It took less than a minute and as I put my credit card away Mrs R said, "Post Office tomorrow, then?"

"No," I said, "it's done."

"Bl**dy Hell," says she. "The government must have done something right, you didn't lose your temper!"

I think that says something about other online payment sites I use.

Lex
29-08-2018, 04:16 PM
I re-taxed my car a couple of weeks ago -I couldn't believe how quick it was.

Lex
30-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Whilst having a pint by the canal yesterday, I noticed a slight yellowing of the leaves. - Winter's on its way!

I've seen a few yellowing leaves as well this week, plus a couple of flocks of geese honking overhead in the evenings - autumn's definitely on the way.

cathidaw
01-09-2018, 11:21 AM
go on rebbonk,cheer us all up.

rebbonk
01-09-2018, 11:36 AM
go on rebbonk,cheer us all up.

I don't actually dislike autumn and winter cathidaw. In fact, autumn often finds me out and about with my camera capturing the wonderful colours. ;)

margaret
25-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Yes, Autumn can be very colourful with the reds , rusts and evergreens, still some flowers in the garden and tubs looking cheerful. last year I planted a new white peony, which is just getting established, this year no flower but the leaves have gone an attractive red, with with greyish white on the back. I am hoping it will flower next year.

margaret
25-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Some end of summer pictures, Didn't take a lot this year.
I'm afraid the Hydrangea, didn't do well at all this year in the long hot summer.

margaret
25-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Sky photos .

rebbonk
25-09-2018, 08:12 PM
I spent a lovely afternoon in a pub garden today. It was pleasantly warm until about 4PM when I decided to retire to the inside bar. ;)

cathidaw
25-09-2018, 09:46 PM
I saw a hedgehog today---using a hole I made in a new fence only last week.How wonderful is that !!

margaret
26-09-2018, 04:38 AM
Just wondered if my pictures showed up.

Cathidaw, how lovely , I like little hedgehogs , they can eat up all the slugs they like in my garden. :).

rebbonk
26-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Margaret, your piccies show up just fine. ;)

Even with the dogs we've had, we still get hedgehogs. But we do have plenty of slugs and snails.

Current dog isn't quite sure what to make of hedgehogs. She runs at them but then comes to an abrupt halt when they don't run off and she actually reaches them.

margaret
29-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent low cost Energy supplier , please ?

cathidaw
29-09-2018, 03:31 PM
I have been with BULB for about 6 months.They were much cheaper than any one then.
Look on Martin Lewis site for up todate energy suppliers..
Good luck.

rebbonk
29-09-2018, 03:42 PM
I'm electric only, refuse to use direct debits and want quarterly bills. I can't beat the Co-op, despite trying very hard.

Try looking on u-switch

I can't remember who it is, but there is one site that you sign up with and they are continually shifting you between suppliers to keep you on the best tariff.

One thing to be aware of though, is that in the event of a problem many of these companies will only deal with the named account holder. My brother (lives with mum) has had problems in the past in sorting niggles out. Mum is 90 and often not capable of using the phone herself for various reasons.

margaret
30-09-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm electric only, refuse to use direct debits and want quarterly bills. I can't beat the Co-op, despite trying very hard.

Try looking on u-switch

I can't remember who it is, but there is one site that you sign up with and they are continually shifting you between suppliers to keep you on the best tariff.

One thing to be aware of though, is that in the event of a problem many of these companies will only deal with the named account holder. My brother (lives with mum) has had problems in the past in sorting niggles out. Mum is 90 and often not capable of using the phone herself for various reasons.

Thanks Cathi and Reebonk[

I was looking at the Co-op , and their tariff is certainly lower that what I am paying at present under Scottish Power.
But I was reading that the Co-op will be putting their prices up.

I shall look into both, choices.

cathidaw
30-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Just wondered if my pictures showed up.

Cathidaw, how lovely , I like little hedgehogs , they can eat up all the slugs they like in my garden. :).

I'm boring you again!! but I hada baby squirrell on my bird table today nibbling a very hard batch. it only moved when I got near and dived off into my fig tree,bouncing off and up the garden.About 6" long plus a very bushy tail.I'll have to keep feeding now as it is so small it wont survive the winter. The nest is in next door's laurel tree.
I left cat biscuits for it on the bird table tonight.

rebbonk
08-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent low cost Energy supplier , please ?

This is what I couldn't remember the other day Margaret. I know nothing about them so before signing up do some research. Look After My Bills (https://lookaftermybills.com/)

margaret
10-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Thanks for that Rebbonk .

On a different note, What would you do if you went for a job interview and the interviewer was covered in tattoos? :(

rebbonk
10-10-2018, 04:21 PM
I'd politely say, "thanks but no thanks" and leave. I wouldn't stay for the interview.

I have nothing against tattoos as such (many of my friends have them) but I don't think they present a professional image. A local thug (businessman!) told me when I was growing up, if I was ever to get tattoos, always make sure that they could be covered up for business purposes. - In the main, I agree with his advice.

Incidentally, I'm not one for sitting quietly in interviews. I remember one at Jaguar where after a few minutes I realised that the guy who would be my boss was a complete idiot. I stood up, said "I work for an idiot now, I have no intention of working for another one." Taking the panel by surprise I shook their hands and walked out. About 3 weeks later I had a letter telling me I had been unsuccessful! It's a shame that Jaguar didn't look at that guy closer as he was the cause of many of their warranty issues. Thankfully he'd gone by the time Jaguar took L/R over. (Sorry, it was a merger <manical laugh>).

cathidaw
11-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Yes, Autumn can be very colourful with the reds , rusts and evergreens, still some flowers in the garden and tubs looking cheerful. last year I planted a new white peony, which is just getting established, this year no flower but the leaves have gone an attractive red, with with greyish white on the back. I am hoping it will flower next year.

lovely photo, would surely get somewhere high in a competition for flowers.

cathidaw
11-10-2018, 11:41 AM
my japanese windflowers are still out-only half the size of usual and petals are smaller too, due to that hot spell but very pretty
I have a fig tree--loaded with green figs but it's too late for them to ripen now. Next week I shall prune it as it has gone mad this year.

margaret
11-10-2018, 12:54 PM
my japanese windflowers are still out-only half the size of usual and petals are smaller too, due to that hot spell but very pretty
I have a fig tree--loaded with green figs but it's too late for them to ripen now. Next week I shall prune it as it has gone mad this year.

Are those pink ones Japanese windflowers? they are very pretty . With my penstemon picture, I was thinking I might enter it in a competition, but will have to wait round to the summer again I think. Leamington usually have a flower competition.

I didn't think figs really ripened in this country Cathi, but the actual fig trees grow lovely big leaves. When we lived in the south east, a neighbour of ours once had a big beauty of a fig tree. But was cut down as someone complained that the roots where moving his shed!

margaret
11-10-2018, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=rebbonk;34256]I'd politely say, "thanks but no thanks" and leave. I wouldn't stay for the interview.

I think that's what I would have done Rebbonk, especially in the medical profession.

It was my son who was having an interview, he had already been interview by two very nice professionals, he felt quite comfortable and good rapport , but then the third was a woman covered in tattoos, made him cringe, I think that would have totally ruined my interview and parted company. By the way the job was for a Band 3 pathology assistant.

The biggest blunder (well maybe not the biggest). the NHS made was allowing staff to have tattoos!
In my day we weren't allowed to wear jewellery, and have neat and tied back. But just before `I left, Matron employed a guy with an earring and a stud on his toungue. He obviously wasn't wearing the stud in his interview. But, that same guy was a good worker and would help out anyone when asked. Pity about the pink handbag and studs and drinking out of the milk carton that we had in the staffroom for our teas. But there we go.

cathidaw
11-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Are those pink ones Japanese windflowers? they are very pretty . With my penstemon picture, I was thinking I might enter it in a competition, but will have to wait round to the summer again I think. Leamington usually have a flower competition.

I didn't think figs really ripened in this country Cathi, but the actual fig trees grow lovely big leaves. When we lived in the south east, a neighbour of ours once had a big beauty of a fig tree. But was cut down as someone complained that the roots where moving his shed!
Fig trees need to be contained(so I was told) this one is in an old concrete fish pond which was filled in years ago, so it grows outwardly.Otherwise the roots spread far and wide.We had lots of ripe figs--if I could get them before the squirrels did.The wind flowers are usually up to 7 feet' tall.

I'd never heard of penstemons,they look good.
Love your dance video.I did international dance for 12 years=often called circle dance.

cathidaw
11-10-2018, 11:41 PM
My fig tree this morning.

rebbonk
12-10-2018, 09:26 AM
What a lovely garden Cathi

cathidaw
12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
My black bin went too.The replacement took 5 weeks until I complained. Then I had one, and 2 w eeks later --another, both with my house number on them.
I kept both---just in case!!!