PDA

View Full Version : Daily life over the garden fence chat.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

cathidaw
12-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Thank you./ATTACH]200My garden is a big - but pretty muddle. I dabble with it
The black and white is my favourite pic

margaret
12-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Your garden is nice and secluded Cathi, and I like the pond with all the little animal statues. How old is the fig tree?

cathidaw
12-10-2018, 10:40 PM
6 years old.it was 3'high and a single stem.
The stone ornaments were not intentional when we dug the pond 17 years ago. I bought an otter-someone said it would deter herons-I don't know whether it does as I have fine strong net over it and doesnt' t show.However I kept having gifts of them so there they are and need a paint job.
I once had a nymph 4' high, but her head fell off one winter.Now she lurks behind the bushes leaning against the fence with her head cemented on -looking as if she has mumps. My little granddaughter once said she needs a scarf and I can't bin her.

margaret
25-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Wow, lucky I actually got a plumber to come out within an hour and a half phoning round this morning.
My kitchen sink is blocked, so I pretty well needed help after making a few attempts at trying to unblock , I just couldn't free it. So had to phone a plumber and fortunately he is able to come out this morning.

rebbonk
25-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Possibly worth keeping a tool handy Margaret?

Something like either of these...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71b04p26PsL._SX522_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/511fsaTTZGL._SX522_.jpg

(Both available quite cheaply, less than a fiver each from Amazon)

The last time I had a blocked sink it was down to Mrs Rs hair! Once I'd removed it, I was actually quite surprised at how clean the U-bend was.

margaret
25-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Yes, thanks Rebbonk, I will be at the ready next time, I think Screwfix have those tools you have illustrated, it would have saved a lot of hassle and money. It's horrible to have dishes piled up on the sink and not being able to wash up.

cathidaw
25-10-2018, 12:29 PM
My washbasin was blocked. My reliable plumber was abroad and it was just before Christmas.I fished around in my garage for some caustic soda I'd had for years. I stuffed it down the plughole until it reached the top, and put the plug in.Nothing happened until about 2 a.m.the following day when there was a frightening thud and gurgling noise which woke us up.I thought the pipe had burst. but no, it was clear. Dangerous stuff but worth keeping in stock....and so cheap.

margaret
26-10-2018, 03:11 PM
My washbasin was blocked. My reliable plumber was abroad and it was just before Christmas.I fished around in my garage for some caustic soda I'd had for years. I stuffed it down the plughole until it reached the top, and put the plug in.Nothing happened until about 2 a.m.the following day night when there was a frightening thud and gurgling noise which woke us up.I thought the pipe had burst. but no, it was clear. Dangerous stuff but worth keeping in stock....and so cheap.

The plumber said I should keep some handy, but I was always a bit uneasy about having caustic soda, as these chemicals can be harmful. That was my way of thinking anyway, so in the past I have used a mixture vinegar & baking soda which was good for when I had a blocked plus hole in the bath, it worked. I have now got 'Buster' which is supposed to prevents block buildup and keep pipes clean. It still has the usual cautionary warnings on, not breathing it In and if you get splashes on your skin, etc. to wash it off, use it with plenty of ventilation. All these warnings, scares the hell out of me. But I shall endeavour to use it regularly.

rebbonk
28-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Nobody told the dog the clocks went back. It was very quiet on our morning walk!

Lex
28-10-2018, 04:07 PM
At least you had more of the day to enjoy!

margaret
13-11-2018, 02:57 PM
People are so kind. In town today I tripped on the pavement and fell over, a couple of shop owners and passers by ran to my aid and asked if I was ok. Thankfully I didn't break anything except a broken nail and scraped knees, and slightly embarrassed! But is was a nice feeling that folks were concerned and helped me up. :).

rebbonk
13-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Margaret. I hope you recover quickly.

I did a good deed myself today. There's a couple walk dogs from the local pub. The lady turned up rather distraught looking for her husband. I sat talking to her until he turned up. To me it would've been wrong to leave a lady in a pub alone. Mrs R was not quite so sympathetic and I got earache for coming home a little later than normal.

margaret
13-11-2018, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Margaret. I hope you recover quickly.

I did a good deed myself today. There's a couple walk dogs from the local pub. The lady turned up rather distraught looking for her husband. I sat talking to her until he turned up. To me it would've been wrong to leave a lady in a pub alone. Mrs R was not quite so sympathetic and I got earache for coming home a little later than normal.

;) Did the lady find her husband?

This morning was a lovely bright morning and I wasn't looking properly where I was going, and tripped on the blooming kerb, done a nose dive on the pavement. You know where the pavements dip then rise again, well I caught my foot on the raised bit, that's what I get for not paying attention. :rolleyes:

margaret
14-11-2018, 05:49 AM
I need to find a painter and decorator and possible carpet laying too. Any recommendations please? Reasonably priced.

rebbonk
14-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Yes, I stayed with her until he turned up.

margaret
14-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Yes, I stayed with her until he turned up.

And they say chivalry is dead! ;)

rebbonk
14-11-2018, 04:33 PM
I often sit and talk to the two of them before they walk the dogs, but (not being sexist) I would have felt uncomfortable leaving her in a pub full of men where she knew nobody.

cathidaw
14-11-2018, 10:48 PM

This morning was a lovely bright morning and I wasn't looking properly where I was going, and tripped on the blooming kerb, done a nose dive on the pavement. You know where the pavements dip then rise again, well I caught my foot on the raised bit, that's what I get for not paying attention. :rolleyes:

I remember sitting on a bench in Jephson Gardens when an old man came and sat next to me. He started talking -and getting upset.When I asked him what was wrong He said he couldn't find his wife and started to cry.I didn't know what to do so sat talking to him and sympathizing, saying 'She'll come along soon i'm sure'
Then a woman came along with a dog, saying 'Oh there you are Dad" and asked if he was pestering me. I said 'Of course not but he's a bit upset , he can't find his wife'.
She told me that he'd divorced her years ago, but now he's looking for a new one in his old age. I had misunderstood, he must have said "I can't find a wife."
I left them to it.

margaret
15-11-2018, 04:51 AM
I remember sitting on a bench in Jephson Gardens when an old man came and sat next to me. He started talking -and getting upset.When I asked him what was wrong He said he couldn't find his wife and started to cry.I didn't know what to do so sat talking to him and sympathizing, saying 'She'll come along soon i'm sure'
Then a woman came along with a dog, saying 'Oh there you are Dad" and asked if he was pestering me. I said 'Of course not but he's a bit upset , he can't find his wife'.
She told me that he'd divorced her years ago, but now he's looking for a new one in his old age. I had misunderstood, he must have said "I can't find a wife."
I left them to it.

Cathi, That is funny , but sad at the same time. Little did you know you were being targeted as his next wife, he turned on the tears so you could feel pity for him. It is very sad that they miss their wives so much though.

I think widows are probably more resilient, they just get on with life , maybe some marry again, but that's not for me. I got chatting to a middle aged lady on the bus the other day, she had lost her husband 18 months ago, and she mentioned that he never took her dancing , so now he has gone she goes out dancing, I think its called Line dancing, but good for her , she keeps very active, and goes on coach trips with the dancing club , she is loving it.

rebbonk
15-11-2018, 09:45 AM
I think widows are probably more resilient, they just get on with life

I have to agree with you.

cathidaw
16-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Cathi, That is funny , but sad at the same time. Little did you know you were being targeted as his next wife, he turned on the tears so you could feel pity for him. It is very sad that they miss their wives so much though.

I think widows are probably more resilient, they just get on with life , maybe some marry again, but that's not for me. I got chatting to a middle aged lady on the bus the other day, she had lost her husband 18 months ago, and she mentioned that he never took her dancing , so now he has gone she goes out dancing, I think its called Line dancing, but good for her , she keeps very active, and goes on coach trips with the dancing club , she is loving it.

I was only about 20. I think he wanted some elderly widow to look after him. Even if he did want a young piece of stuff,I wouldn't have been any good, being almost out of teenage-and probably still a selfish teenager in my head, although I was halfway through my nursing training at the time and quite responsible.
Heigh ho...happy days.

margaret
30-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Isn't it strange when we still look forward to Friday even when we are retired! We still get that Friday feeling.

rebbonk
30-11-2018, 06:03 PM
It's true. I guess it's years of conditioning. Though I have to admit, I often don't actually know what day it is!

rebbonk
05-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Mrs R is a little down at the moment. Her ex-husband died Monday, just 2 days after his 72nd birthday. - They've been divorced 30 years, but he is the father of her children: I think she's entitled to feel a little sorry, and he didn't make a fuss when she wanted a divorce.

margaret
07-12-2018, 06:11 AM
It is always very sad when someone you knew has passed away. Did they remain friends after the divorce?
Age 72 doesn't seem that old these days.

rebbonk
07-12-2018, 09:06 AM
They weren't enemies but I'd not say they were exactly friends. He rang Mrs R in distress when his girlfriend's husband topped himself!

No, 72 isn't exactly old, but it seems pretty common. My own dad went at 72.

The week has continued to go down-hill though. My mum (90) had to have the ambulance service out yesterday. They've made her comfortable, but I can only see more problems ahead.

margaret
07-12-2018, 01:25 PM

The week has continued to go down-hill though. My mum (90) had to have the ambulance service out yesterday. They've made her comfortable, but I can only see more problems ahead.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear sorry to hear that , Rebbonk, was she in a nursing home?

rebbonk
07-12-2018, 03:43 PM
No Margaret, she still at home, my brother cares for her. But it's beginning to get too much for him. I go round as often as necessary to help him lift her etc. (she's a big woman).

The ambulance crew filed a report to her doctor after yesterday's visit and the doctor has spoken to my brother today. I'm going round later so I'll learn more. But in truth, I believe she'd be better off in a home. Trouble is, she's very stubborn!

cathidaw
08-12-2018, 12:12 AM
I went for a review last week-you know blood pressure and a 'how are you? - (as if they care).the nurse asked if I have a BP monitor.When I said yes she said why don't you do it yourself and I''l give you a form to fill in. She got up and opened the door.
A few months ago I waited half an hour after my appointed time to see the doctor. then afterwards I said " I have a question to ask you doctor"
He said I had to make another appointment as my time was up.(I think he said my 7 minutes were up.)

I'm laughing as I write this. unbelievable almost.

margaret
08-12-2018, 04:36 AM
�� The cheeky blighter! If that was me , i would have asked him anyway, and stated that you waited half an our over your time, so it wouldn't take him half a minute to answer your question.

margaret
08-12-2018, 04:46 AM
I am posting with my ipad and it is a horrible strain on the eyes! MY laptop is in for repair, will need a new screen, if they can get one.
I can't stand using ipads,which are well named as i will end up needing to wear eye pads , due to strain and god knows what kind of damage the glare from these small screens may cause.

rebbonk
08-12-2018, 09:01 AM
He said I had to make another appointment as my time was up.(I think he said my 7 minutes were up.)

That's the second time this week I've heard a tale like this. - It's not good enough

rebbonk
08-12-2018, 09:05 AM
I can't stand using ipads,which are well named as i will end up needing to wear eye pads , due to strain and god knows what kind of damage the glare from these small screens may cause.

I have an iPad. I'm not over keen on it, many 'simple' tasks are incredibly fiddly. But the knack with the brightness is to turn it right down and turn the auto brightness off. We used to do this with the CAD terminals to prevent eye-strain.

I only use mine as a kindle reader if I can help it.

cathidaw
08-12-2018, 04:41 PM
I am posting with my ipad and it is a horrible strain on the eyes! MY laptop is in for repair, will need a new screen, if they can get one.

I did but he shook my hand and walked to the door with me
From now on IF i FEEL ILL--ISH I SHALL CALL THE OUT OF HOURS DOC.i'M LOOKING FOR ANOTHER.

cathidaw
08-12-2018, 04:45 PM
I have an iPad. I'm not over keen on it, many 'simple' tasks are incredibly fiddly. But the knack with the brightness is to turn it right down and turn the auto brightness off. We used to do this with the CAD terminals to prevent eye-strain.

I only use mine as a kindle reader if I can help it.

i HAVE A NEW KEYBOARD WHICH DOESN'T APPEAR TO LIKE 'P's,SO i HAVE TO CHECK WHAT i WRITE.nOW IT DOESNT LIKE lower case. When I can get out- You're going back mate!.

rebbonk
08-12-2018, 06:56 PM
I find keyboards last me about 2 years. - They do get a bit of a hammering. I reckon to replace a keyboard once on every laptop. I won't replace a second time, I'll replace the laptop as at that stage the laptop is usually past its best.

The current keyboard was allegedly the same as the one it was intended to replace. - It wasn't! I use it in US mode 99% of the time. But, it does have an interesting fault. You only have to kiss the letter B with your finger and it places a string of Bs on the screen. Thankfully B is not a letter I use very often!

Oh the joys of computing!

margaret
09-12-2018, 05:00 AM
Thanks Rebbonk, i did manage to turn off auto bright and also turned down the brightness a bit, it is a lot better but wouldnt want to spend too long on it. Trying to correct errrors is pain in the head!

margaret
09-12-2018, 05:10 AM
����

On a different note , a question i want to ask is; WHat is the correct way of saying Mancetter, is it pronounced like ManSetter or ManChetter?
I ask because someone i know may be moving there. Thanks.

Lex
09-12-2018, 07:55 AM
I've always pronounced it ManSetter.

rebbonk
09-12-2018, 09:34 AM
ManSetter - My mum comes from that way, and I once looked at buying an old vicarage out there.

cathidaw
09-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Man'S'etta

cathidaw
09-12-2018, 12:37 PM
ManSetter - My mum comes from that way, and I once looked at buying an old vicarage out there.

I remember the old vicarage.The one somewhere behindr Church Walk.I played in the surrounding fields..
There was a mulberry tree in the garden, the only one I have ever seen.
Someone I met a couple of years ago lives in one of the 'new builds' on the site..She looked around,but said there was no sign of a mulberry tree.
How tragic. It must have been more than a couple of hundred years old.
Developers dont care and more importantly neither do the County planners.From the experience (of my son who is an archaeologist) most of them don't even bother to go and see sites before ticking them off as nothing of value to be preserved. Neither do they like archaeologists or anyone who points things out, because it costs more money and time to investigate.They choose to be blind to the fact that they are obliged to do so..

rebbonk
19-12-2018, 05:33 PM
I've just walked the dog and noticed that people have the blue and green bins out for emptying tomorrow. Mrs R had put our blue bin only out, which on my return I questioned.

"Look on the internet," she says.

"Wasn't there a note with the extra bags they left last week?" I asked.

"No!"

She then proceeds to dig the bags out and lo and behold, there is the Christmas schedule wrapped around them.

But it's all my fault as I picked the extra bags up last week. - I bl**dy well didn't, I was down the pub when they came!

margaret
20-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Man'S'etta

Thanks, everyone, I have taken note.

margaret
20-12-2018, 11:29 AM
I've had enough of Christmas now, I want it out of the way . :o

Lex
21-12-2018, 12:00 PM
I've only just started getting in to the festive mood - mostly because I've been trying to ignore Christmas up until the last couple of days.

margaret
01-01-2019, 12:14 PM
The weather is amazingly still mild for January.

Lex
01-01-2019, 03:27 PM
It should be getting colder tomorrow - the wind's moving round to come from the north.

margaret
01-01-2019, 03:33 PM
This was taken last January....

rebbonk
01-01-2019, 05:22 PM
I noticed it getting definitely cooler this afternoon.

Lex
04-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Has a very strange experience today - I actually saw a BMW driver use their indicators! :eek:

On my way home from work tonight, I got stuck behind an Audi doing less than 50mph on a road with a 60mph speed limit. I really don't know what the world's coming to.

margaret
10-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Looking out at the birds I the garden I can't help wondering how they keep warm and here is me with three jumpers on. No heating on yet. It's definitely got colder. How do those birds do it!

margaret
13-01-2019, 01:27 PM
It's pretty unfair that MP's that earn around £80,000 a year, can claim the cost of their TV licence from the tax payer, and if that is the case, then you are paying for your licence twice. On top of that injustice, the 75yr old pensioners may lose their right to free tv viewing.

:mad:

rebbonk
13-01-2019, 04:17 PM
I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that the BBC (a private corporation) might be in a position to carry out means testing.

I'm also of the belief that the BBC should be made to take adverts (They already blatantly advertise some things) and the archaic licence fee be abolished.

margaret
13-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Glad I don't have TV, Rebbonk, I feel sorry for poor pensioners getting a raw deal. I agree that means testing would be awful. I think if the BBC do start having more adverts , you would soon get fed up with the interruptions. I know it would drive me insane.

rebbonk
13-01-2019, 05:47 PM
I rarely watch TV. If it wasn't for Mrs R I wouldn't have one. I actually consider the TV licence to be an optional spend, but Mrs R won't risk it because she knows people that have been caught without one and fined. However, IMO, getting caught is a minimal risk and there is no obligation to enter into any discussion with TVL employees.

margaret
13-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Though we don't have a telly, we keep getting their letters to remind us that our house is not licensed, blah blah, and they give us an 'officially' stamped date when we should expect a visit, this has been going on for a couple of years now, and we never have had a visit, so just treat their letters same as junk mail. I will never respond to them or let them in, as you say Rebbonk, we are not obliged to divulge any information if they did happen to visit, which is a complete waste of time.

margaret
09-02-2019, 03:58 PM
What do you all think of electronic washing machines , are they all like that now?

rebbonk
10-02-2019, 09:38 AM
We've had one for several years now. I find it much more reliable that the old mechanically controlled ones.

margaret
10-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Yes, well I've been behind the times for a while now, I have just got rid of a god knows how old bone-shaker of a washing machine, the rubber had gone and it stank a bit and rusty on the bottom, no matter how much I cleaned it up, it still smelled a bit. I guess it was good old work-horse machine when new.
I recently bought a Zanussi , model with the electronic programmes, it isn't the top of the range, but it is a good adequate , machine for short, delicates, or longer wash cycles and good rinse and spin. It should do for a good while, I hope. So I now feel up to date , though I still think the mechanical ones are good too.

cathidaw
10-02-2019, 02:16 PM
I love my automatic machine.My other Hoover one lasted 26 years.It still worked but you could hear it up the road sometimes when spinning.Just noises of old age,but not conductive to neighbourly harmony
This is Hotpoint and cant last as long.They are mainly some sort of plastic nowadays.

margaret
10-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Cathi, I think If I could afford a Meile washing machine, I would love to buy one, but this new Zanussi will suffice just for the two of us. I think Zanussi and AEG are now Electrolux, (a Swedish firm).

rebbonk
10-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Ours is a Zanussi. The previous ones we've had have tended to last about 5 years before dying on us. To be honest, it simply wasn't worth the cost and effort to fix them.

margaret
10-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Ours is a Zanussi. The previous ones we've had have tended to last about 5 years before dying on us. To be honest, it simply wasn't worth the cost and effort to fix them.

Did you previously have Zanussi , Rebbonk? I agree, it wouldn't be worth getting a major repair done. Like Cathi was saying, the newer models aren't made to last now. I think they want a quicker turnover. I think maybe it would have been better in the long run to have invested in a good Meile washing machine, they are pretty robust and have a 5 or 10 year guarantee, depending on the price, they claim they last for about 20 years.

margaret
10-02-2019, 06:49 PM
On a different note, I was just thinking that there aren't many female taxi drivers, at least in this area.
When I was in the South East I used a regular lady taxi driver, we got quite friendly.

rebbonk
11-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Did you previously have Zanussi , Rebbonk? I agree, it wouldn't be worth getting a major repair done. Like Cathi was saying, the newer models aren't made to last now. I think they want a quicker turnover. I think maybe it would have been better in the long run to have invested in a good Meile washing machine, they are pretty robust and have a 5 or 10 year guarantee, depending on the price, they claim they last for about 20 years.

The very first one we bought was a Zanussi, it didn't last particularly well. This one was us re-trying the brand after a few years and it's been a good one.

rebbonk
11-02-2019, 09:43 AM
On a different note, I was just thinking that there aren't many female taxi drivers, at least in this area.
When I was in the South East I used a regular lady taxi driver, we got quite friendly.

I don't think I've ever seen a female taxi driver locally, although there have been a few private hire drivers. Golden Lady with her fleet of cars was quite a concern a few years back.

margaret
11-02-2019, 12:54 PM
The very first one we bought was a Zanussi, it didn't last particularly well. This one was us re-trying the brand after a few years and it's been a good one.

That's good to know Rebbonk. So far mine is doing fine too.
I have had a Zanussi fridge for few years maybe 6, its ok still.

rebbonk
11-02-2019, 04:14 PM
We have a fridge/freezer (Hotpoint) that is over 30 years old and still going strong. The woman I bought the house off sold me the whole house content and furnishings for £1000 as I was a poor, broke divorcee! It was money well spent as I only replaced things as they failed or wore out.

cathidaw
11-02-2019, 11:25 PM
We have a fridge/freezer (Hotpoint) that is over 30 years old and still going strong. The woman I bought the house off sold me the whole house content and furnishings for £1000 as I was a poor, broke divorcee! It was money well spent as I only replaced things as they failed or wore out.

apoor broken divorcee..AAAAHH! HOW EXPRESSIVE WAS THAT!

mY CHEST FREEZER IS 32 YEARS OLD.One day it will pack up and I'll have an upright,but I hate throwing things away when they still work.I must admit to stuffing it and have to dig down. I tidy it occasionally- then my shopping comes .......
and I throw it in ,Promising to 'do it tomorrow'.
tOMORROW HARDLY EVER COMES THOUGH AND i'M BACK WHERE i STARTED.

Lex
23-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Saw my first bumble bee of the year this afternoon - spring is on the way!

margaret
23-02-2019, 11:26 PM
We also saw a fat bumble bee out foraging. It was a beautiful very spring like warm day too.

margaret
09-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Those scratch cards, do people ever win anything on them?

Lex
09-03-2019, 09:44 PM
I never buy them - waste of money in my books!

margaret
10-03-2019, 05:57 AM
Yes, I would agree Lex, but a certain shop I go in hands them out free when you make a purchase.

rebbonk
10-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Those scratch cards, do people ever win anything on them?

I have never bought one.

I also stopped playing the lottery when they refused the RNLI a grant because 'they didn't save enough people'! Yet they funded illegal immigrants to appeal deportation.

margaret
23-03-2019, 12:45 PM
I think I mentioned my new washing machine which is fine except you can't go out and leave the washing on, as when the cycle finishes it just keeps bleeping, bleep, bleep, bleep, till you get home. What a useless function!

rebbonk
23-03-2019, 03:37 PM
After our discussion about washing machines, ours decided to play up. We had a new one delivered yesterday (Zanussi again) and it looks to be pretty good.

It also beeps at the end of the wash, but the beep can be turned permanently off by pressing a couple of buttons.

Could you use the 'nightwash' feature Margaret if you want to go out? - That usually doesn't bleep. Also, by doing an internet search on make and model you might find a way of turning the bleep off. I found the turn off instructions buried deep in the manual, where I wouldn't have expected to!

margaret
23-03-2019, 04:54 PM
How long did you have your last washing machine rebbonk. it seems to have packed up too soon. What make was it?

My present one is a Zanussi Lindo100. It doesn't appear to have a 'night wash' option. It has a short cycle at 30 degrees, Cottons, at higher temps. Eco cycle . Synthetics, Delicates, Wool/Handwash, and a quick refresh 20 minute, refresh cycle. with 3 spin options.
However, I did manage to consult my manual and discovered that I can deactivate the acoustic bleeps/signals, by pressing the Programme and Temperature buttons together for about 4 seconds. But in the event of the appliance malfunctioning, the bleep signal will still operate.
So, next Time I do a wash I shall follow the instructions and deactivate the bleep.
Good job you prompted me to search my manual. Thanks.:D

rebbonk
23-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Hi Margaret, the old one was over 10 years old and had taken one heck of a hammering, so I wasn't overly upset at it having to go. The inlet valve block failed and it was going to cost me £40 for parts, plus the bearings were starting to rumble and I wasn't about to change them myself.

Glad you found out how to disable the bleep. We've bought the Lindo300, mainly because of the animals and so that we can wash our own duvets. ;)

margaret
26-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Just wondering why some motorists have their car lights on in the day time?

rebbonk
26-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Daylight running lights.

Supposedly makes it easier to see them (rather like motorbikes with their headlamps on). I remain to be convinced.

An interesting fact here is that some vehicles have front only lights whilst others have both front and rear. These lights come on as soon as the ignition is activated and it is not exactly unheard of for drivers to drive home at night with only lights to the front of the vehicle!

My BMW is equipped with them, but as it isn't law for a vehicle as old as mine to have them, I've had them turned off.

More here RAC (https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/daytime-running-lights/)

margaret
27-03-2019, 04:05 AM
Thank you for the comprehensive link , rebbonk, I forgot to mention that I don't drive, I hate being in the dark about something, hence the question of DRL's.

I noticed that some cars must be using their Led lights at night, because the are so bright and blinding, so I'm not sure if that is a good thing to also replace them for the normal headlights.

rebbonk
27-03-2019, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure about the legality of LED lights at night, I thought they had to be turned off, but I could be wrong. I do know though, that plenty of people fail their MOT every year because they have tampered with their lights.

It's the silly craze of turning on one spot lamp when turning that drives me mad. How that is legal is beyond me.

rebbonk
29-03-2019, 07:04 PM
Here's a true tale about people messing with car lights....

We were in the process of changing our headlamp lenses from glass to plastic. Although ease of manufacture and styling reasons were given, the change was driven by cost.

At the same time, many aftermarket sources started introducing very bright 'white' bulbs, which allegedly made driving safer at night.

Neither we, nor any other manufacturer, had anticipated these bulbs being fitted into our new headlamps.

I think every manufacturer suddenly had a glut of headlamp lens failures. - They became brittle and simply shattered. The reason was the ultraviolet light emitted by the new bulbs attacked the plastic lenses. Oddly enough, the old glass ones weren't affected. More than a few customers were upset when we refused to replace them under warranty as they'd used bulbs that were out of our specification. - Quite an expensive repair!

rebbonk
31-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Well, I'm in the doghouse!

Before I retired last night, I put all the clocks forward, apart from that alarm clock, which for some inexplicable reason I put back! Result, no hot water today! I am not popular as apparently 'cool' showers are not her thing. Ho hum!

margaret
31-03-2019, 02:12 PM
The alarm clock when out the window upon retirement!

:cool:

rebbonk
31-03-2019, 04:08 PM
I normally rely on the dog, but with the time shift she wasn't much help today. It'll take about a week for the dog to reprogram herself.

Unfortunately, you can't ignore dogs when they want you up as they can get all 'bouncy' on you. I've taken more than one hit in the old family jewels and even at my age, it bl**dy hurts!

margaret
01-04-2019, 03:59 AM

Lex
01-04-2019, 06:38 PM

My alarm clock will be the bain of my life for many years to come! :(

rebbonk
01-04-2019, 06:58 PM
You might be pleasantly surprised Lex, you don't know what's round the corner.

Many of my old workmates at L/R took the opportunity to leave last Friday. Whilst it was undoubtedly a decent move for them, it has left the company with a dearth of experience. But the company needed to save money. Short-term they have, long-term it will cost them heavily.

margaret
18-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Just thought I'd pick up on the subject of slavery in the local news.
Slavery still exists in my view, what about the minimum wage?
When I, as a young lass first started work as a sewing machinist in Scotland, we had to do so many bundles , and as soon as we were up to speed achieving the required amount, lo and behold the time and bloody motion chap came round timing us, to see if we can work faster, just squeeze a bit more blood and sweat out of us. Well I never bothered my sweet @$$, like most workers. I did my daily quota and that was it! That was back in the 60's.

On the whole, Britain has always been a country that poorly reward its workforce.
Not forgetting that living wages has fallen dramatically over the years and we all know that young people, cannot afford to get married and take on commitments such as having family , buying property. And much of what happens in politics is a distraction from that , because the politicians who are useless beyond measure , refuse to deal with the economic issues.

rebbonk
18-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Interesting Margaret.

I used to work on the gang bonus scheme, which was not dissimilar to what you describe. As soon as we learned how to do a job, the rate fixer would be along to review the rates! But, being aviation, there were always ways of shooting his ideas down.

Yes, the workers are always exploited. Yet if the moneyed people would work with us, we could beat the world!

Lex
03-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Not happy today - caught my 3rd cold in the last 6 months this week. :(

rebbonk
03-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Gone down with my second!

I had one a week or so ago, which I apparently passed on to Mrs R. She's just returned the favour!

Lex
04-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Mine seems a bit better today - maybe something to do with not being in the office & getting some fresh air.

rebbonk
10-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I see Freddie Starr has passed away.

R.I.P.

Lex
10-05-2019, 07:26 PM
I was never really a fan of Freddie Starr, but it still a sad loss to the world.

margaret
10-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Not happy today - caught my 3rd cold in the last 6 months this week. :(

Just out of interest , did you have a flue jab? Not that you have to have one, but just wondering?

A good thing to keep colds away, and probably friends too is eat lots of garlic! lol.
Fresh lemons , honey, eat an orange day, including what ever other fruits you may like, all that seems home remedy stuff, but it builds up and good for you.

I have had a cold too and a cough, but not too bad, it is on its way out now. But I don't like taking cough medicine I think they are vile. I do suck some orange or blackcurrant strepsils now and then if I am in a shop or talking to someone, to ease the coughing. Don't like too many as I have to keep brushing my teeth after.
But I'm ok now.

margaret
10-05-2019, 07:50 PM
I see Freddie Starr has passed away.

R.I.P.

I liked the early Freddie Starr, when he was younger, and much funnier. Unfortunately I think he became sillier and got a bit vulgar, as he got older and seemingly tired and run out of ideas.
But nevertheless, it is seems the end of an era of the good old comedy days, when PC wasn't an issue.
RIP Freddie.

Lex
10-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Just out of interest , did you have a flue jab? Not that you have to have one, but just wondering?

I haven't had a flu jab. I think it's just a case of being a bit run down & working in an office where bugs spread faster than gossip!

margaret
10-05-2019, 07:57 PM
I haven't had a flu jab. I think it's just a case of being a bit run down & working in an office where bugs spread faster than gossip!

Very true Lex, keep well in anycase.

Hey, maybe everyone at work and travelling on buses, should were surgical masks. Wouldn't that be a funny sight! ;)

Lex
10-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Now there's an idea. A surgical mask will also let me sneer at people without them seeing! ;)

rebbonk
12-05-2019, 11:38 AM

https://s00.yaplakal.com/pics/pics_preview/0/4/1/11592140.jpg

margaret
12-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Haha yes, the trouble is, there is nothing I can do about my body clock conditioned to getting up early , still do!

;)

rebbonk
12-05-2019, 06:01 PM
If it wasn't for the dog, I reckon I'd sleep 'til noon.

rebbonk
14-05-2019, 06:01 PM
Hello darkness my old friend

I stood up too fast once again!

margaret
14-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Hello darkness my old friend

I stood up too fast once again!

Oh no, did you have a fall?

rebbonk
14-05-2019, 07:58 PM
No Margaret. Me trying to be funny by misquoting the lyrics from a Simon and Garfunkel song.

margaret
14-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Ah yes, great song. ;) Its funny how the lyrics stick in your head.

Better than the Beatles dirge.

rebbonk
23-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Police called after tenant refuses to leave...

https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61149102_2350081935279828_5131289465385385984_n.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn1-1.fna&oh=3e0a18762112836bdb1fbcad03943979&oe=5D677F2B

margaret
24-05-2019, 12:39 PM
I have no problem with the Sikh community, bar one thing, the ladies or at least some of the Sikh ladies I have noticed wear a ceremonial knife, I have seen this several times on the bus. I'm sure if I started wearing a knife strapped round my waste, or dagger in a sheath, I would soon get the police questioning me.

rebbonk
24-05-2019, 03:46 PM
All I have ever said is that I want a level playing field. One law for all.

Lex
13-06-2019, 07:26 PM
It's been a tad damp this week; hopefully we'll get some decent weather over the weekend.

rebbonk
13-06-2019, 07:30 PM
We can hope Lex.

I think every walk I've taken the dog on this week has resulted in me requiring a change of clothes. Nothing worse than sitting around feeling damp and cold!

Lex
13-06-2019, 07:32 PM
On the plus side, it'll do the water table a bit of good following a dry few months.

margaret
14-06-2019, 05:56 AM
My gripe with too much rain is, after buying plants and planting them all out in flower tubs, along with my rose bushes they get ruined with so much rain. Going into town though, it seems the river Leam is not overflowing yet. I don't know about Stratford.

rebbonk
14-06-2019, 09:11 AM
I think the key word there is yet, Margaret.

Lex
14-06-2019, 09:01 PM
The Avon at Stratford had risen when I drove over the Clopton Bridge just after 5.00, but doesn't seem to be in danger of breaking it's banks yet.

As an aside, someone pointed out to me a few years ago (when I was on holiday in New Zealand walking along an Avon on South Island!) that everyone in Stratford calls the waterway 'The Avon' or 'The River', but never 'The River Avon', basically because the Celtic word for river is 'avon'. I never realised until then, that's exactly what I did!

margaret
15-06-2019, 05:11 AM
The Avon at Stratford had risen when I drove over the Clopton Bridge just after 5.00, but doesn't seem to be in danger of breaking it's banks yet.

As an aside, someone pointed out to me a few years ago (when I was on holiday in New Zealand walking along an Avon on South Island!) that everyone in Stratford calls the waterway 'The Avon' or 'The River', but never 'The River Avon', basically because the Celtic word for river is 'avon'. I never realised until then, that's exactly what I did!

Thanks for that Lex.

Makes me think of old Middle English words, that were basically lost at the reformation, but are English words with a very long pedigree behind them.
Stratford for example, was known up until Elizabethan times was known as as Stratford - atte - Avon.
The famous example of a Chaucerian word or expression which has now completely disappeared , is y ecleped, meaning , called. So you would say, he is ecleped John.
A worker was called a 'swinkler' .
Just a few I remember reading.

Lex
18-06-2019, 04:22 PM
It's a really interesting area.

Thankfully, it looks like the rain's finally moving on, and we can start drying out tomorrow.

rebbonk
18-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Not too sure Lex. We have rather a nasty weather warning over the nexrt few hours. - I sincerely hope that they're wrong about the thunder.

Lex
19-06-2019, 07:22 PM
It's been ok around the Stratford area today; how's things been up your end of things?

rebbonk
19-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Not been bad over here at all. The sky is currently bright red, so I'm expecting a good day tomorrow.

Lex
20-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Almost as soon as I finished my last comment, we had a brief downpour. Looks like it's going to be dry over the next 4-5 days.

rebbonk
20-06-2019, 08:07 PM
I spent a part of the afternoon in the local pub garden. I must say it was quite pleasant, but around 4.00PM it did start to cool a little.

margaret
29-06-2019, 04:11 PM
We have a problem with ants at present, we have spray etc .but they have come back, husband has gone to get some ant gel, which they didn't sell in the local shops so he has had to go back into town.

I read that mixing some sugar with bicarbonate of soda gets rid of them. So I shall be making up some of that too.

Lex
29-06-2019, 06:07 PM
A bit of trivia I learned recently is that ants are related to wasps and bees.

rebbonk
29-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Nippon works wonders, but wipes the colony out.

I read yesterday of someone having problems with ants getting on to her narrowboat, interesting advice as you have already got it Margaret but I'd never heard of it...

If you haven't pets onboard where ever the ants are visible sprinkle icing sugar mixed together Baking powder.
The ants will eat the sugar as well as the baking powder,

Little know fact Ants can NOT pass wind so when the baking soda gets to their stomach it fizzes up and pop

margaret
29-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Nippon works wonders, but wipes the colony out.

I read yesterday of someone having problems with ants getting on to her narrowboat, interesting advice as you have already got it Margaret but I'd never heard of it...

Yes, its Nippon we are trying to find. Non in Asda, Non local. So tomorrow have to go to Robert Dyas.

About the baking powder , and ants not being able to pass gas, I heard also the same with Pigeons, apparently they can't pass wind either, and that is why people feed them rice which swells up in their stomach and they go pop. Not sure whether true or not.

Lex
30-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Well, it's back to work for me tomorrow after a week off; I'm not at all happy about it. :(

rebbonk
30-06-2019, 07:52 PM
I remember my last day like yesterday. I dropped the hood and drove out, hitting the Fosse Way towards home a few minutes later. It was absloutely magic. The feeling of elation and freedom has never left me. I truly hated that job at the end.

I did work for another organisation afterwards, but that wasn't like 'real' work even though it paid very well.

Never mind Lex, God willing, your time will come and you too can join the 'beer in the afternoon' club. :)

Lex
01-07-2019, 08:08 PM
It's a long time in the future, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

rebbonk
01-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Time flies Lex. I retired before I was 50, best thing I ever did.

margaret
24-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Did you see that horrible thunderstorm, the continuous lightning kept me awake! I think we are in for more.

Lex
24-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Yes, we had the storm down our way too. Fortunately, it didn't last too long, and I managed to get back to sleep.

rebbonk
24-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Dog didn't like it according to Mrs R. I have no idea, I was sound asleep.

margaret
31-07-2019, 11:32 AM
Anyone good at maths?

rebbonk
31-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Many branches of that particular topic Margaret, but I used to teach some. Try me?

margaret
31-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Many branches of that particular topic Margaret, but I used to teach some. Try me?

Thanks Rebbonk, it my son really. He is preparing to Maths funcional skills City & Guilds.

rebbonk
31-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Happy to help. Been a loooong time since I did C&G ;)

Lex
06-08-2019, 06:01 PM
I had a rather pleasant experience this evening; I had a seized up tap which I couldn't fix myself, so I called a plumbing/electrical company I've used before to have a look at it. He turned up on time, took the tap apart, sorted the problem, put it back together, and didn't even charge me the full call-out fee! :)

rebbonk
06-08-2019, 06:33 PM
I hate plumbing Lex. If you get it wrong, water does so much damage.

Lex
07-08-2019, 08:41 PM
When it started to look like it was a bigger job than just taking the top off & trying to loosen the mechanism up with pliers/WD40, I thought I'd get someone who knew what they were doing in!

margaret
08-08-2019, 07:50 AM
I had a rather pleasant experience this evening; I had a seized up tap which I couldn't fix myself, so I called a plumbing/electrical company I've used before to have a look at it. He turned up on time, took the tap apart, sorted the problem, put it back together, and didn't even charge me the full call-out fee! :)

Let me know that company , Lex. :)

Lex
08-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Not sure if they've got a website, but here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Heatrix-400585537149328/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

margaret
14-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Getting our new garden fence up today. I wonder how long it will last.

margaret
14-08-2019, 09:30 AM
I bought a smal bedside l cabinet from Wayfair online. Something I vowed never to do, but I did and got a bit stung! The cabinet was supposed to come all assembled as stated on the description, but no it was not, I came all in bits as a flat pack. Well, I never seen such a cheap jack shody crap in all my life , it looks nice but not the usual good standard wood, I like to buy, the sides are MDF, the top is supposed to be oak. Anyway, I decided to phone the company freephone, and explained that it came as a flat pack contrary to their product description which states no assembly needed! Grrrrr! Anyhow the decided to offer it me for half price , which I accepted, and since it was not a very expensive item, I thought ok, I'll keep it. It would save all the hassle them coming to collect. Anyway it is now assembled but the drawer is not a tight fit. I don't care anymore , I give up!
I hate ordering stuff on the internet and won't have anything to do with it! My stupid fault, Mea Maxima Culpa! I have had better solid oak and walnut cabinets for the price this one was originally advertised at. I'm glad I phoned them up , at least I got it half price, and that's all its worth.

rebbonk
14-08-2019, 12:44 PM
I bought our last two sofas from Wayfair Margaret. To be honest, I've no complaints, I got what I consider to be fair value for money. I refuse to buy expensive stuff with Mrs R having animals jump all over things.

Furniture is so cheaply made these days, I often think you're better off buying older stuff from the 'antique' markets.

But as you say, there's no substitute for seeing your prospective purchase in the flesh.

margaret
14-08-2019, 02:54 PM
I bought our last two sofas from Wayfair Margaret. To be honest, I've no complaints, I got what I consider to be fair value for money. I refuse to buy expensive stuff with Mrs R having animals jump all over things.

Furniture is so cheaply made these days, I often think you're better off buying older stuff from the 'antique' markets.

But as you say, there's no substitute for seeing your prospective purchase in the flesh.

Yes, you're right Rebbonk, some of the old antique furniture is solid and best, if you can find it at a good price. I know someone who only buys antique stuff, he has a beautiful 100 year old table. Do you remember the store, Multi York? I purchased a pieces of furniture from them in the sales, beautiful solid wood , and lovely oak coffee table, a bit heavy but solid. It will see us out. I bought it years ago in when living in Bromley. Pity they have gone out of business now. There is nothing like browsing a good furniture store.

Lately, in Warwick Antiques, I bought a lovely 1930's tallish wooden lamp stand , came with the shade as well. lovely and quite ornate, but it has the old fashioned flex on it, It works fine but I don't know how safe it is using the old flex. I will upload a picture see what you think.

margaret
14-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Picture of the flex and lamp. I can't rotate the lamp photos.

rebbonk
14-08-2019, 04:33 PM
That's a nice looking standard lamp.

As long as the flex is in good condition Margaret, I see no reason why you shouldn't use it. It looks to be a relatively modern flex covered in plastic rather than the old cloth covered rubber flex which I wouldn't want to use as rubber decays and becomes brittle.

If you decide to change the flex I think B&Q do something very similar. That lamp just wouldn't look right with a modern all white flex. Changing it shouldn't be too difficult if you decide to go down that route, just remove the shade so it doesn't get damaged and use the old flex to pull the new one through. (Fix a piece of string to the cable you are removing then use the string to draw the new flex in.)

margaret
14-08-2019, 05:00 PM
That's a nice looking standard lamp.

As long as the flex is in good condition Margaret, I see no reason why you shouldn't use it. It looks to be a relatively modern flex covered in plastic rather than the old cloth covered rubber flex which I wouldn't want to use as rubber decays and becomes brittle.

If you decide to change the flex I think B&Q do something very similar. That lamp just wouldn't look right with a modern all white flex. Changing it shouldn't be too difficult if you decide to go down that route, just remove the shade so it doesn't get damaged and use the old flex to pull the new one through. (Fix a piece of string to the cable you are removing then use the string to draw the new flex in.)

Yes, thanks for that Rebbonk, I do remember the cloth covered flex it did tend to fray. The existing flex which looks like plastic is in good nik at the moment, but maybe at some stage I'll have it changed. Thanks for the hint on re threading the flex should I change it.

rebbonk
14-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the hint on re threading the flex should I change it.

Old aircraft electrician's trick. Beats threading draw wires through each time, especially when you are on piece work!

margaret
17-08-2019, 08:33 AM
How safe are fence panels that slide into concrete posts?

rebbonk
17-08-2019, 08:59 AM
As long as the spacing between the posts is right, they're good. But if the spacing is too wide they can spring out in a wind. The posts also need to be 'planted' properly to prevent movement, but professionals know that.

margaret
17-08-2019, 08:34 PM
My new fence is like this.

If not secured, the panels can be removed. I know of one case when a neighbour was burgled using this horrible tactic.

rebbonk
18-08-2019, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't say that makes you any more or any less likely to be burgled Margaret. Fences are easy to scale and most are actually quite insecure. Whilst those panels can be lifted out, it's a two man job and not usually a quiet one.

The fence between us and the neighbours is like yours, as are many on the estate. We don't have burglaries very often around here.

margaret
18-08-2019, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't say that makes you any more or any less likely to be burgled Margaret. Fences are easy to scale and most are actually quite insecure. Whilst those panels can be lifted out, it's a two man job and not usually a quiet one.

The fence between us and the neighbours is like yours, as are many on the estate. We don't have burglaries very often around here.

Sure its not easy to lift them as you say a two man job, but down a quiet lane at early hours of the morning, it could be possible. Though we don't get trouble round here much.

Lex
25-08-2019, 08:44 AM
If you have any doubts about it being summer, I can confirm it is definitely summer - Christmas films have started appearing on TV!

rebbonk
25-08-2019, 10:09 AM
You have time to watch TV? :) ;)

Lex
25-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Had a flick through the listings earlier to see what I'm missing!

rebbonk
25-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Had a flick through the listings earlier to see what I'm missing!

Not a lot is my guess!

I only really watch the news these days, and that is only to get a different slant on what I've read on the 'net. - I might watch 'Millionaire' tonight though, Clarkson can sometimes be entertaining.

Lex
25-08-2019, 07:02 PM
I mostly watch documentaries & get my news fix from the radio.

rebbonk
26-08-2019, 10:08 AM
I was only lamenting to Mrs R yesterday that I've not seen a good investigative documentary for quite a while now. I miss programmes like: World in Action and Man Alive: and reporters like Pilger, Cook and Holloway.

I think political correctness and general wimpery has stopped a lot of the good stuff.

Lex
26-08-2019, 05:04 PM
And suing people is easy nowadays.

rebbonk
26-08-2019, 05:46 PM
People/organisations with money are an easy target, Lex. First rule of suing, make sure they have enough assets to cover things if you win. - Not much point anyone suing me! :) :) :)

rebbonk
28-08-2019, 05:58 PM
I've just walked in after walking the dog. I managed to dodge the showers!

Sticking my head round the door, I said, "Chicken and chips for dinner tonight. Who's doing the chips?"

The fresponse, "I suppose I am. Your chips are vile!"

Now I wouldn't mind, but these are McCain oven chips and she follows exactly the same instructions as I do and I even set the oven timer for her!

Sometimes I'm even wrong for breathing!

rebbonk
30-08-2019, 04:43 PM
I went round to mum's this morning and she asked me if I'd heard from either of my children this week? I hadn't and mum proceeded to relate the following tale...

My ex-wife had gotten extremely drunk (nothing new there), fallen down (nothing new there) and broken her foot. As a result, she is now effectively confined to her home for the next 8 weeks and is expecting the children to do everything for her!

Now, daughter has an interview next week for a very good job, and her mum is being extremely awkward about things. Daughter had to dash home from work yesterday and found her mother unconscious and covered in vomit.

Last night son and daughter gave her a good 'talking' to and she actually admitted that she drank, but refused to admit her drinking was out of control. Daughter walked off in the end as she felt her mum was being deliberately obtuse and was playing mind games. - Daughter sent me a 30 second video of the ex taken early one afternoon. Not only could she hardly stand, she looked about 90.

The children are sure that there is no drink in the house which means that unless the ex manages to order any she won't be getting any. But I have pointed out to daughter that her stopping 'cold turkey' may well cause more problems than it solves. The ex has past form for drug abuse and self harm.

Whilst I don't think for a minute that the fall was deliberate, the ex is insanely jealous of the children's achievements, especially the daughter's and does everything to sabotage the things they do.

Oh isn't life grand!

margaret
30-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Oh what a tangled web we weave. I think the ex may need social services.

I hope your daughter is successful in her interview, Rebbonk.

rebbonk
30-08-2019, 06:55 PM
I think the ex may need social services.

Joking apart Margaret I've been there. I even tried to get her sectioned for her own good. - Have you ever tried to get two psychiatrists to agree? The psychiatrists preferred to believe everything she told them, rather than look at the facts that I, social services, police and ambulance crew put before them.

Thanks Margaret. She's done very well for herself since leaving school, despite a rather dodgy start with part-time waitressing at Morrisons.

Her mother threw the two of them out when she realised that they were no longer any use in her financially. I thought I'd have to buy them a flat, but they sorted themselves out and have managed to house share ever since. The current problem is that they only live down the road from their mum.

margaret
01-09-2019, 07:10 AM
At the time I was in Canada, I left home at the age of 17, as things got unpleasant for me, and leaving home was the best feeling in the world. My dad would sneakily try and check up on me, and accuse me of all sorts of things, he is lucky I never went to the police. I never lived in the family home again. It was many years later and after my dad passed away, that relations with my mum and sisters got much better. Now mum is gone, I miss her very much. She was a very wise old bird.

rebbonk
01-09-2019, 10:00 AM
You just can't pick your family can you? I think I was lucky mine.

rebbonk
06-09-2019, 04:23 PM

She didn't get the job Margaret but has been given the offer of feedback. She intends taking this.

I spent a couple of hours with her yesterday afternoon and she told me about the interview. She was wrong-footed from the start. They gave her a case study and then expected a presentation of the salient points within 30 minutes. She didn't expect that! Had she talked to me earlier I might have warned her that she could expect something along those lines for a senior position. She'll know next time.

The day of the interview was also clouded by her mother not answering the 'phone when she was trying to check that she was OK.

Apparently, dear mummy is abusing sleeping pills with alcohol. She takes sleeping pills during the day (she did that when I was married to her, apparently it gives you a 'high'.) drinks neat vodka for most of the day and then rounds the day off with a few more sleeping pills before she goes to bed.

Daughter tells me that her mum had a few days in hospital after she damaged her foot, and even then she was managing to 'pop' sleeping pills!

I am certainly glad I'm no longer married to her.

rebbonk
07-09-2019, 03:42 PM
We're currently having 'fibre to door' installed aound our estate. I know it brings superfast internet speeds and provides a rival to Virgin, but the estate isn't half a mess. I really don't know how some of the busier estates around the city will go on as the roll out continues.

margaret
07-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Hi Rebbonk, I'm sorry your daughter wasn't chosen for the job, I know how nerve wracking interviews can be, I dreaded them. I am sure she is every bit as capable as anyone.

margaret
07-09-2019, 08:01 PM
We're currently having 'fibre to door' installed aound our estate. I know it brings superfast internet speeds and provides a rival to Virgin, but the estate isn't half a mess. I really don't know how some of the busier estates around the city will go on as the roll out continues.

We have fibre optic, or whatever it is Virgin call it. I'm not fussed about all this super speed stuff nonsense. Virgin are putting their broadband prices up again from October. I've had enough of them, I was considering changing last year, but now I really am sacking them.

rebbonk
08-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Hi Rebbonk, I'm sorry your daughter wasn't chosen for the job, I know how nerve wracking interviews can be, I dreaded them. I am sure she is every bit as capable as anyone.

Thanks Margaret. She's capable enough but was a little too complacent IMO. Had she talked more to me before the interview, I could have coached her and advised her what to expect. But she'll know for next time. ;)

rebbonk
08-09-2019, 10:15 AM
We have fibre optic, or whatever it is Virgin call it. I'm not fussed about all this super speed stuff nonsense. Virgin are putting their broadband prices up again from October. I've had enough of them, I was considering changing last year, but now I really am sacking them.

My brother uses Virgin, he hates them with a vengeance. Once Vodafone get this fibre rolled out by him, he says he'll switch.

I use TalkTalk, they are the spawn of Satan himself. But I don't need high speed and can do without the hassle of changing. I use Plusnet for my phone line (I won't let TalkTalk have it) and they seem pretty good.

margaret
08-09-2019, 10:35 AM
My brother uses Virgin, he hates them with a vengeance. Once Vodafone get this fibre rolled out by him, he says he'll switch.

I use TalkTalk, they are the spawn of Satan himself. But I don't need high speed and can do without the hassle of changing. I use Plusnet for my phone line (I won't let TalkTalk have it) and they seem pretty good.

My son is with Plusnet broadband , they seem average, the router seems to connect pretty quick to the internet. I might consider them too.

rebbonk
08-09-2019, 11:30 AM
I think Plusnet are actually owned by BT, but they have a much better reputation.

Lex
08-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Thanks Margaret. She's capable enough but was a little too complacent IMO. Had she talked more to me before the interview, I could have coached her and advised her what to expect. But she'll know for next time. ;)

It's all about preparation in interviews. For the last 1 I went to, I worked my socks off for weeks beforehand working out what questions I would be asked, and finding out any little bit of information about the department I could (it was an internal vacancy). The only thing that let me down was my lack of experience of dealing with senior management; after I got that feedback, I immediately started badgering my manager to get me some experience.

margaret
08-09-2019, 06:03 PM
It's all about preparation in interviews. For the last 1 I went to, I worked my socks for weeks beforehand working out what questions I would be asked, and finding out any little bit of information about the department I could (it was an internal vacancy). The only thing that let me down was my lack of experience of dealing with senior management; after I got that feedback, I immediately started badgering my manager to get me some experience.

What gets me Lex, is that a company short lists someone for a job and then tell the they haven't enough experience in certain areas. Very frustrating.

One Job interview I had in my time , was a bit nerve wracking when there were three in the room, Matron , and two Sisters. interviewing me for a Clinical Support Worker job in the hospital! Don't laugh, you would think they were interview me for some kind of executive job. I think I must have shown the absurdity in my attitude, though I got the job as CSW, in Out Patients, I think purely because I had experience and I had been working there under an nursing agency, so they did know of me. Actually Lex, I wish I had stayed on Agency and not gone on NHS staff, because I was earning more on the Agency. Oh well, thats all long gone now.

rebbonk
08-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Contract workers (at least in R&D) in the motor industry are also very well paid Margaret. I often wondered about quitting and returning the following week as contract staff on a substantial increase. Trouble is though, when times get tough (and it happens often in the motor industry) agency/contract workers are the first to go.

margaret
09-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Contract workers (at least in R&D) in the motor industry are also very well paid Margaret. I often wondered about quitting and returning the following week as contract staff on a substantial increase. Trouble is though, when times get tough (and it happens often in the motor industry) agency/contract workers are the first to go.

Yes that is true Rebbonk, the Agency staff are the first to go. The NHS tried to dispense with agency staff but couldn't as they desperately needed them to do night and fill in for sickness and holidays, so catch 22. I happily worked on agency for a while with British Nursing Association (BNA) which I think has now been taken over. But then the hospital I worked in was threatening to get rid of agency staff and at that time I thought that to secure my employment with NHS I needed a permanent contract within the NHS, hence my interview and acceptance. But they never did entirely seem to do away with agency. Though I regretted leaving BNA, But looking at the positive side, I am glad of my NHS pension, not great but it is nice to have that bit extra.

BNA were great with me, I can pick and choose where I wanted to work and they always gave me work within my travel zone. I was never short of work.

Lex
18-09-2019, 07:34 PM
Is it me, or has there been nothing interesting going on in the City & County recently? The news websites just seem to be filled with petty crime, roadworks & charity events.

rebbonk
18-09-2019, 07:47 PM
The lull before the storm, Lex.

The national news has been a bit flat, too.

margaret
02-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Anyone know about bus pass time changes?
It was rumoured that Senior Citizens can't use them now before 09:30.

Lex
02-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Not something I know a lot about, unfortunately - buses are not something I use much.

rebbonk
02-10-2019, 05:26 PM
Margaret, I think it varies on the supplier. National Express have this on their website...
free bus travel after 9:30am Monday - Friday, and all day at weekends and on Bank Holidays.

margaret
02-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Rebbonk, that's interesting. At present I can use it from 09:00, in my area, but I guess it will change to 09:30 this month I hear.

Plus so much for free weekend travel, we can't get a bus on Sunday after 6pm, so we can't to to a play or concert on a Sunday as there will be not bus home. How ridiculous.
Maybe they think we oldies should be all safely tucked in bed in the evenings.

rebbonk
06-10-2019, 03:36 PM
I found this an interesting read....

The Lib Dems are using data to profile every voter in UK - and give you a score

The Liberal Democrats are profiling every voter in the country by rating their political preferences, Sky News can reveal.

This includes which party they will vote for in the next election and whether they are a Remainer or Leaver.

The percentage ratings - there are at least 42 in total, although the identity of only 37 are known - estimate whether someone voted Leave or Remain in the 2016 EU referendum and predict how they would vote if there was a second poll in 2019.

Other scored characteristics include "Likelihood of being a Labour voter in 2019", "Likelihood of being a core Lib Dem" and "Net difference in likelihood of voting for the Conservative or Brexit Party in 2019".

The system, which uses a sophisticated computer model to generate the scores, also assesses personal outlooks, giving a percentage to "Likelihood of being a pragmatic liberal".

The Liberal Democrats also use software which estimates the age and first language of voters by analysing their names.

Full article: SKY News (https://news.sky.com/story/the-lib-dems-are-using-data-to-profile-every-voter-in-uk-and-give-you-a-score-11828202)

Lex
06-10-2019, 03:50 PM
That's quite scary.

rebbonk
06-10-2019, 05:19 PM
I suspect that now the idea's in the public domain it'll be quietly dropped. - GPDR issues?

Lex
06-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Possibly, but I suspect date harvesting is quite common in the political world.

margaret
26-10-2019, 10:17 AM
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Sorry, I was just testing to see if I could post, as I kept getting the above message whey I was trying to post in this thread.

margaret
26-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Got shopping done early this morning , and got back home just before 10:00 am. Before the rain sets in and buses get full.

rebbonk
26-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Dreadful weather!

Mrs R went off to bed just after 10 last night. Just as I was contemplating going off to bed about midnight, the cat comes padding down the stairs wanting to be let out. Although it was hammering down I obliged.

As I had a right telling off for leaving the cat out the other night, I thought I'd better wait for her to return.

Looking at the weather I thought she won't be long. 1:30 she came rapping at the door to be let back in!

Lex
27-10-2019, 07:35 AM
After a long period of wet weather, it looks like we're in for a few days of bright weather & low temperatures at night.

rebbonk
27-10-2019, 09:05 AM
It was certainly chilly last night

margaret
27-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Today is lovely, I've even got washing out on the line.

rebbonk
27-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Since my recent problems Margaret, I've had to do very little washing! Mrs R would run the washer most nights, I think I'm running it twice a week. I see a much lower electricity bill coming next month.

rebbonk
28-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Third trip to the doctor's today, since Friday.

Our surgery is a very large one that was purpose built a few years back (at great cost) to almalgamate 4 local surgeries.

This evening I had time to look around and to take in the underuse of the building. Only two surgeries now exist and over half the building is lying unused, but heated, well lit and kept clean. The waste is staggering. I wonder how many times this is replicated over the country?

margaret
08-11-2019, 03:14 PM
I took my mobile phone in to a repair shop and asked if they can unlock it, they have had it in the shop for a couple of days to see what they can do, it is an old Nokia phone I have had for about 15 or years, such a nice small basic for my handbag when I am out and about. I do hope they can manage to do it, as older models are more difficult to get the code to unlock. I think there was a time when you can just change over to another provider without all this bother of unlocking. Now the provider locks the phone so you can't swap to another provider.

This is the shop in Leamington.....https://www.phonezone4u.co.uk

rebbonk
08-11-2019, 04:12 PM
I had a lovely small 'clam' style of phone. It was ideal for slipping into my pocket: I never did manage to get it unocked.

Thankfully, I don't need a mobile these days.

margaret
08-11-2019, 04:47 PM
I had a lovely small 'clam' style of phone. It was ideal for slipping into my pocket: I never did manage to get it unocked.

Thankfully, I don't need a mobile these days.

I rarely talk on a mobile, and if I do its for a minute or so, just to contact my husband if I need to. I hate to talk for any length of time, I do use it for texting though. I feel it is useful when I'm out and about.

Lex
14-11-2019, 03:51 PM
There's a lot of flooding on the road tonight, so be careful if you're out & about.

And here's the flood alerts: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/here-flood-alerts-flood-warnings-17256689

rebbonk
14-11-2019, 05:34 PM
The road back from the local pub was dry, much to my surprise. That said, I did find the walk back rather chilly.

margaret
16-11-2019, 03:47 PM
It was quite reasonable today weatherise. We've only just put the heating on.

https://youtu.be/uhtf8Mdd58g

Lex
17-11-2019, 09:49 AM
After a busy week & Saturday, I'm going to treat myself to a day of doing absolutely nothing.

rebbonk
17-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Just got back from Tesco. It was absolutely packed. Christmas shopping/Brexit stockpiling?

rebbonk
24-11-2019, 10:16 AM
This made me smile somewhat...

https://scontent.fbhx2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/75614122_10157550930008605_8263847373373964288_n.p ng?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQmYfnjB7Op8usNffyaWRVI-FJ9HcZknWI1GkDvSCcf05whwiwEPH-Wmyvs_4JKWxUs&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx2-1.fna&oh=d562f0de5aa03f06946cefe2f1778529&oe=5E5436F8

margaret
24-11-2019, 06:34 PM
I can't understand all the craze for vaping shops opening up all over Leamington, there is one called , The Captain's Vape lounge.

But at least Vapo-Rub is good for cures. I read that if you have a toe nail the has gone dark or fungal, this can be treated with VapoRub. just smear some on the toe nail , every day or every other day, after washing feet, and hey presto, it works! It may take up to 3 or 4 months for results.

margaret
27-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Sick and tired of all this daft Black Friday sales everywhere. Why can't it just be normal autumn or winter sales?

rebbonk
27-11-2019, 04:14 PM
More Americanisms Margaret.

I did read that there are actually very few 'real' bargains to be had.

I refuse to partake, I only buy when I have to.

margaret
27-11-2019, 04:22 PM
More Americanisms Margaret.

I did read that there are actually very few 'real' bargains to be had.

I refuse to partake, I only buy when I have to.

That is so very true. It isn't worth going mad over. I often think that things are over priced anyway, so when they are in a sale, and a few bob knocked off, the retailer isn't making a loss really, they only want to clear out their old stock .

rebbonk
27-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Just a daft question here, but I wonder how many of us negotiate (or try to) when purchasing expensive things.

If I'm buying a single item over £50 I always try to get a discount. Please note, Mrs R has never forgiven me for asking for a discount on an expensive suede coat that I bought her. - I got a discount though! (Mrs R had walked off in embarrassment by then.)

margaret
28-11-2019, 04:14 AM
Just a daft question here, but I wonder how many of us negotiate (or try to) when purchasing expensive things.

If I'm buying a single item over £50 I always try to get a discount. Please note, Mrs R has never forgiven me for asking for a discount on an expensive suede coat that I bought her. - I got a discount though! (Mrs R had walked off in embarrassment by then.)

You are bolder than me, I don't think I could ask for a discount, but good for you it paid off!

rebbonk
28-11-2019, 10:17 AM
They can only say no Margaret. :)

margaret
01-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Makes me laugh!
Those door step chancers with leaflets asking if they can prune your trees or do your driveway.
We have a not very big Lilac tree by the side of the house, giving good reasonable cover to the shed, easily manageable by myself if it needed pruning. But these cowboys who knock at the door despite the yellow notice on the door, No Doorstep Callers.
A while back I had another chancer asking if I want new windows or door replacement, I asked him to refer to the notice on the door , and its at eye level so you can't miss it. He said he can't read! So I told him to get s........ and he shouldn't be coming round the doors if he can't read.

Another quite funny episode with a caller years ago, not long after we moved here we for months kept getting debt collector letters , addressed to a Ranjit Sing Bungay! We duly sent the letters back as not at this address. Then we get a visit from not a very personable official looking chap, asking for this Ranjit Sing Bungay, by now `I had had enough! I forcefully said , Do I look like Ranjit Sing Bungay!! He said his name is on the list at this address, so I said well looks like you have been lied to! Go and do your own research! I kept railing at him, while he was off up the driveway and into his car. Do not come to this door without the police or I shall call the police for you. He got in his car , and I said, why don't you check the electoral roll to see where he lives. I must admit to using street language not for polite neighbours ears, he said , I've been doing this job for 25 years and never heard the likes of it, while closing the car window so he couldn't hear me and drove off. That was the end of that! Never seen hide nor hair of him since.
My son found the whole thing highly amusing!

I was particularly angry and indignant that he ask what our names were and asked to produce household utility bills etc.. to prove it, Well that was like a red rag to me, hence the reason for giving him a roasting!

rebbonk
01-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Some of them can be very pushy Margaret. We have a glass front door, this dog, like the previous one, is quite happy to go and show herself. Few people hang around if they don't have real business with us.

As regards debt collectors...

Years ago (I was married so at least 30 years ago) I had a burglar alarm installed by a very well known company. About 3 years afterwards, I had a very threatening letter from a debt collecting agency. They complained that I hadn't paid the annual service fee as per my agreement. As I'd not signed for an annual service I was (to put it mildly) a little miffed.

I turned up at the alarm company one lunchtime and keeping my cool explained the situation to them. Their attitude was one of 'couldn't care less,' so I left.

That weekend I showed my (solicitor) brother the letter. After laughing, he said 'I guess you better pay up before they destroy your credit rating.' I explained the story to him and asked him to write a very brief note (on company letterhead) to the debt collectors explaining that if they persisted I would happily see them in court. He kindly did this and I have never heard another word about it.

There are some chancers about!

margaret
01-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Good for you sorting it out Rebbonk! Unfortunately its the only language they understand if you get really heavy with them.
What worries me is when they knock at the doors of the vulnerable elderly. We have a couple of neighbours come to us if they are worried about anything.

rebbonk
01-12-2019, 02:24 PM
What I've learned over the years is to go in as high as you can in an organisation (MD/CEO if you have their details) and offer up one polite letter. If they play ball, well and good. If they don't, then the gloves come off pretty quickly. I've threatened to let them take me to court, I've threatend to take them to court. I've even threatened to serve winding up orders on companies. It's quite amazing the turn they take when you fight back.

margaret
18-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Goody gum drops, My son passed his O level maths! At last, not more angst !

rebbonk
18-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Congratulations to him.

margaret
18-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Congratulations to him.

Cheers rebbonk. :)

Lex
18-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Just had a look at the weather forecast - a couple of days more rain. :(

margaret
21-12-2019, 02:53 AM
My son had an accident on the way to work, he was knocked over by a car, but no broken bones, he was very dazed and sustained injury to his right eye and facial abrasions, and knees were pretty grazed. Patched up at A&E, X-rays show no fractures. But his the side of his eye and face is a mess all black and blue and swollen, his new spectacles were smashed. He was actually yards from work at the hospital when it happened, he could have walked to A&E but wasn't allowed, he had to wait for an ambulance. The police took all details. So after Christmas is over, make a claim for his specs, they were a bit expensive. Also time lost from work.

Lex
21-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Hope he makes a quick recovery, Margaret. Not a good start to Christmas.

margaret
21-12-2019, 09:16 AM
He will be having a few extra days off and stay with us over the Christmas period.

rebbonk
21-12-2019, 10:42 AM
I hope he's OK Margaret and wish him a speedy recovery.

margaret
21-12-2019, 11:52 AM
I hope he's OK Margaret and wish him a speedy recovery.

I'm sure he will be fine thanks, rebbonk, a few bruises here and there , I've changed his facial dressing, he I off out to lunch with his mate.

Lex
29-01-2020, 05:05 PM
After a couple of days of fantastic sunshine, looks like we're back to the grim, grey weather tomorrow.

margaret
29-01-2020, 05:25 PM
After a couple of days of fantastic sunshine, looks like we're back to the grim, grey weather tomorrow.

Yes, did you manage to have a weekend away Lex?

Lex
29-01-2020, 05:33 PM
I'll probably be going away for a weekend during March. Minehead still looks a good option.

Lex
02-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Amazingly, it looks like we're actually in for a few days dry weather! :eek:

Lex
08-02-2020, 07:08 PM
Looks like it's back to wind and rain again, starting tonight & lasting well into next week. :(

rebbonk
08-02-2020, 09:08 PM
I can hear the wind starting to build now. I bet it's lashing down tomorrow when I walk the dog

margaret
09-02-2020, 04:25 AM
I fear Scotland and Northern Ireland will bear the brunt of the storm.

The wind seems its picking up and constant at the moment. I hope we don't get power cuts and trees coming down, anyone driving take care.

Lex
09-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Yes, it looks like NI & Scotland are getting the brunt of it. Definitely a day to stay in with a book.

Lex
29-02-2020, 07:46 AM
Another damp & miserable day. :(

margaret
29-02-2020, 11:36 AM
I went to Warwick early this morning In hopes of the Market being there but I was told it was cancelled because of the weather, so I just did a bit of shopping and came home, and now midday, the weather is lovely now, sunny and blue sky!
Can't win.

rebbonk
29-02-2020, 05:31 PM
Just walked the dog, it isn't half biting if the wind catches you

Lex
29-02-2020, 05:59 PM
It quickly cleared up down my way too; although the early rain gave me no reason to avoid doing my housework & ironing! The sunny weather also gave me no reason not to go to the gym & sign up this afternoon!

margaret
10-03-2020, 02:09 PM
People have taken leave of their senses with this coronavirus scare. I went to Tesco this morning and was flabbergasted to find no bags or flour, the shelf was completely bare . A Flour shortage of all things! I normally buy a couple of bags of bread flour which does me for about two weeks. Tinned soups etc.. looks a bit low in stock as well. No loo rolls either, not that I wanted any, but was told by customers chatting amongst one another.

rebbonk
10-03-2020, 04:22 PM
The Arena store in Coventry was OK Monday. It was busier than usual, but I didn't notice anything out of stock.

I'm now well stocked on doggy bits and pieces

margaret
11-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Now the nursing homes in Leamington aren't receiving visitors. We were planning to visit our former elderly neighbour.

margaret
12-03-2020, 03:13 PM
I have just heard from a friend that, Ireland has gone into lockdown since noon today - whatever that means. All the schools are closed from tomorrow.

rebbonk
12-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Whilst I accept that countries are doing what they believe will protect their own, I think that this will be rather unproductive long term.

Lex
20-03-2020, 10:27 PM
Well, it's all hit the fan. And people thought Brexit was going to hit us hard....