PDA

View Full Version : Fag ends could incur a hefty fine.

Margaret
18-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Littering proves to be a costly act

Written byKELLY WARDEN

A WARNING is going out to smokers to stub out sensibly or risk being hit in the pocket.

North Warwickshire Borough Council is reminding residents to think of the environment when disposing of their rubbish.

They are advising careless litter louts that tarnishing streets with trash could prove to be costly.

The urgent message follows an incident in which a male driver was fined £80 for throwing a cigarette out from his car window in an area of Wood End.

He was issued with the fixed penalty fine under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 legislation on Wednesday morning after council officers tracked down the offender through the DVLA.

A spokesperson for North Warwickshire Borough Council said: “An officer witnessed the offence and after noting the vehicle’s registration the man was traced through the DVLA.

“He will now have chance to admit liability and pay the fine.”

If the offender pays the fine within seven days, it will be reduced to £50, although in total there are 14 days in which the full amount can be paid.

In the event that it is not paid by the driver in question, the matter will be taken to court where if found guilty, the suspect could be hit in the pocket to the tune of up to £2,500.

The council spokesperson added that the example should act as a warning light to anyone else who has carelessly dumped their rubbish out of car windows or anyone else in public.

They said: “The council has a zero tolerance policy to littering and anyone who is caught in the act will face a fine.

“Littering is an offence and if the matter has to go to court then people can face court costs and personal costs as well as a larger fine.”

Read more: http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/News/Littering-proves-to-be-a-costly-act-20131017165559.htm#ixzz2i4KGwhk0

Gladys
18-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, policing this is going to be the problem. I doubt they'll catch up with many. Aren't cigarette ends biodegradeable anyway? I thought they were over time unlike plastic wrappers and plastic bottles.

Margaret
18-10-2013, 05:56 PM
You're probably right about fag ends being biodegradable Gladys, but I have seen folk just tip rubbish and paper stuff out of their car before driving off.
Last week while waiting for a bus by parish church, there was a vagrant sitting on the steps with a small pile of cigarette ends that had been discarded and he had obviously collected them, he was carefully unwrapping what was left of the cigarette and painstakingly collecting all the tobacco into a plastic bag, presumably so he can re use it, for roll ups.
I have seen these street people picking up discarded fag ends, but never realized they collect any tobacco that may be worth salvaging from them.

Gladys
18-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Desperate comes to mind. I have met some of these street people. ( The Late Princess of Wales supported a charity for them) I think if you have to resolve to be this ' resourceful ' then the society in which you live has let you down at some level. (' Do not Judge unless you be Judged ' comes to mind- I think of this as I now face an electricity bill that I have no idea how it came to be that much and what is more, how I am going to pay it!!!)