PDA

View Full Version : Opening of the boudicca trail at mancetter roman fort

cathidaw
17-05-2013, 12:52 AM
The biggest day ever for Mancetter Saturday 19th May with the opening of the Boudicca trail at the Roman fort
FESTIVITIES include history of the ROMANS in the area. Learn to cook and play games the Roman way.See how they lived and
dressed.
This is their biggest day ever,:):hihi::D:p

rebbonk
17-05-2013, 07:52 AM
I nearly bought an old vicarage near Mancetter. - Long time back now!

I hope they have a great day, and the weather is kind to them

cathidaw
18-05-2013, 12:34 AM
The 2 vicarages have gone nowand the grounds are now covered with 'little boxes'
The one which used to be off Church walk had the most magnificent mulberry tree in the field next to it. Now gone forever.

Dun Scotus
18-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Fascinating.
There is some pretty good evidence that Boudicca'a last battle was fought near Mancetter.
Though the site has been known of for centuries, very little or no excavation work has been done.
It was probably one of the most important battles of the ancient world and could yield a lot of fantastic information.
She was known to have united the tribes of southern England against the roman invaders but really the only information we have about how these tribes lived comes from a roman historian and the site could reveal a great deal more.

cathidaw
19-05-2013, 07:22 PM
HI DUN SCOTAS,
Sorry to contradict, Mancetter has been excavated a lot in the past 20 years. Look on line at the May ed. CADAS (Coventry and district Archaeology Soc.)website. My son's latest article on Mancetter is in it.
He has dug there since he was about 16, under the tuition of Keith Scott After Keith died and my son went to university-to do archaeology-he carried on with Keith's work and by the now defunct Mancetter Arch. Society.
The big day was to show how important the site is. My son doesn't live in the area now but it is always in his research. He and his friend and fellow archaeologist discovered the complete Roman Villa.Lots to come about that
June 29th there is a national conference at Warwick University on -guess where.One of the 3 speakers is my son.
Also look on 'academia'

Dun Scotus
20-05-2013, 11:36 AM
HI DUN SCOTAS,
Sorry to contradict, Mancetter has been excavated a lot in the past 20 years. Look on line at the May ed. CADAS (Coventry and district Archaeology Soc.)website. My son's latest article on Mancetter is in it.
He has dug there since he was about 16, under the tuition of Keith Scott After Keith died and my son went to university-to do archaeology-he carried on with Keith's work and by the now defunct Mancetter Arch. Society.
The big day was to show how important the site is. My son doesn't live in the area now but it is always in his research. He and his friend and fellow archaeologist discovered the complete Roman Villa.Lots to come about that
June 29th there is a national conference at Warwick University on -guess where.One of the 3 speakers is my son.
Also look on 'academia'

Thank you very much indeed for that information, it's absolutely fascinating.
I would certainly check out the info. I didn't realize there had been local excavations.
What I was getting at was excavations on the scale of ancient Troy, and the work that teams of Germans have been doing there for decades now, not local work.
I would be very interesting in going to the talk on Mancetter in Warwick in June.
Clearly your son is now a leading light and expert in this area. Mancetter is a very, very important site and I personally believe, to quote the amusing phrase of John Romer in another context, 'When it's finally excavated, it will make Tutankhamen look like Woolworths', - woops, Woolworths has already gone, shows how old I am! But it is great news that your son is involved in that.

cathidaw
20-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks. I have lived with this Mancetter jargon for years.Have two large chunks of the villa floor and wall 'drying out' on my window sill, waiting to go to Warwick museum. and bits and pieces every where--well not so much nowadays. Half a roman pot lid with a dog pawprint. But he did Bermuda village too and has researched Hartshill Castle for many years. Lots in the Cadas bulletins . as I said before..