PDA

View Full Version : Poll Tax or ' Bedroom Tax ' what do you think?

Gladys
11-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi all, I was just watching ' Question Time ' which is all about Mrs MT and the Poll Tax was brought up. I remember this and I actually liked it. If this was brought back instead of this stupid ' Bedroom tax ' I think things may work - what do you think? It would need tweaking with earning levels etc and house price differences against those in Social Housing (SH) but remember not all who live in SH are dependent on benefits either. Surely, this is a better option. I stand to be educated if you know more as I am quite simple minded.:)

rebbonk
12-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I had no problem with the theory of the poll tax. Everyone uses local authority facilities, so we ought all pay the same. What I did have an issue with was the way it was brutally implemented on those who simply couldn't (not wouldn't) afford it.

Gladys
12-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, That's why I say it would need tweaking to make it fairer.

rebbonk
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Likewise I have no issue in theory with the bedroom tax. However, has anyone actually verified that there are enough smaller homes for those that need to downsize? Because if there aren't, any people evicted due to non payment of this tax (can't pay, not won't pay) are likely to end up being housed in more expensive accommodation (B&B etc.) which will incur extra cost and we are likely to lose the money this was designed to save. Sadly, I don't think things have been though through properly.

Gladys
12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Sadly it doesn't seem that many of this Government's ideas have been properly thought through. What I am hoping for (I won't hold my breath waiting) is that they realise it and do something intelligent like think again!

cathidaw
14-04-2013, 10:14 PM
there certainly aren't enough single bedroom council houses left.

Gladys
14-04-2013, 11:16 PM
No but there are plenty with one or two old/elder person/parent(s) whose offspring have flown and their bedrooms lie empty. This having been the family home.

Lex
15-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Sadly it doesn't seem that many of this Government's ideas have been properly thought through. What I am hoping for (I won't hold my breath waiting) is that they realise it and do something intelligent like think again!

I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of the government's ideas and policies are just badly thought out knee jerk reactions designed to get some good publicity/headlines.

Gladys
15-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes but they aren't getting good reviews- only the publicity to show how unpopular they are because they are not setting right what they say they are out to correct but rather affecting decent subjects who are trying to keep their heads above water to survive. These are people like you and me who are law abiding, paid our way through thick and thin but still we get slammed. ' You can't do this and you have to that, only breath when its you are in this area otherwise you must pay for the air in that zone' It'll come to it before long that we'll have a card or worse still a microchip which will be scanned to see if we've paid our dues or owe for some or other tax or levy. Sorry folks- I am just a little cheesed off with how our current not so great Britain is shaping up.

rebbonk
15-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Big problem with UK politics is the 5 year election period. All they're doing is the bare minimum (and not necessarily in the Country's best interest) and to try to get elected for their next term.

Gladys
15-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Well, I'd hate to see this lot in for any longer and the last lot for that matter. What could be done to make a fairer and more robust term of office? Would a 2 year probationary period of ' Do what your Manifesto said you'd do ' and then the populace can decide if you stay longer or go now?' type of term help? If so, how much longer? I definitely think they need some sort of probationary period where they should demonstrate with hard delivery and evidence to support it what they were elected into power for. The people seem to have no voice with this shower and it is supposed to be the peoples' choice who speaks and delivers for us. Or is it that the people are no longer heard? Yes, I think that is what it is. They don't hear once they get into Parliament - its all lip service to get there then.