PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus & the Eurozone

Lex
25-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Even though the UK's not in the Eurozone, this will still have a big affect on out economy, both nationally and locally (eg fewer visitors from Europe)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21920574

Dun Scotus
26-03-2013, 09:03 AM
The basic problem is a failure by the political elites and many of the people of the eurozone to face reality.
A child could tell you that the EU must be broken up and countries free to rule themselves and take control of ther own lives.
But the communists that run all the EU governments don't want that - they will persist in their dangerous fantasies.
The people of Cyprus, like those of Greece, Ireland, Spain, will bear the burdens.
They didn't take out the loans but they have to pay for them.
Le Grande the head of the IMF said the Cyprus deal is "fully funded."
By whom?
G.K. Chesterton once said, the problem is we dont hang politicians.
The message to the people of the eurozone is surely - there's nothing worse on this earth than being stupid.

rebbonk
26-03-2013, 10:48 AM
I think we've seen a very dangerous precedent being set.

What happens net time the EU are a bit short of the readies; do they simply raid the bank accounts of all the EU citizens for a few quid?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; the EU never has been, nor ever will be, any good. The only decent thing to ever come out of the EU, is the transport back to the UK.

Gladys
28-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Rebbonk, I agree except as things stand everyone from EU countries will be on that transport to the UK!

rebbonk
28-03-2013, 11:48 AM
IMHO it really is time to shut the doors to further immigration. We can't cope with what we have now; how the Hell can any sane person expect us to cope with more?

Governments of all colours have patently disregarded the wishes of the electorate, I think they're about to pay a heavy price.

cathidaw
28-03-2013, 04:10 PM
I believe our government is about to pay the price.It' a about time CAMERON stopped digging the hole he's never getting out of. What will be his next half thought- out fly by night law will he come up with next?

Gladys
01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Its undercover Communism - a controlling nanny state that harnesses the poorest and least able to fight back but gives free reign to those in affluent positions to do as they wish at the expense of the poor and down trodden. I totally agree with the concept that is to look after our own before any more influx from across the pond. However, we are not seeming to do that. The door is still wide open for more to add to the over burdening of our country. Back home on Terra firma - hauling in those who have free loaded for no good reason is also a good premiss on which to build a better nation. However, one size does not fit all. There are those who live on benefits because they have no option. For example - There are little job prospects for them where they live and high social deprivation. Stop attacking the systems that work or did before the Government got hold of them. (The NHS debacle in all of its forms) Stop attacking the disabled. If a person has a disability then they do whether it is obvious to the naked (and untrained) eye or not. They didn't choose to have the problem that caused the disability and they have to live with it now stigmatised and deemed as lazy. If a person from the Eurozone comes here with a disability are we going to support them when our own disabled are being shunted stage right? Where and what has happened to our industries, our growth and development? Shipped off abroad for cheaper labour etc. I know this is a very simplified potted snap shot of the problem but still. The country isn't falling apart it has fallen apart. Where is Great Britain anyway- has any one been there, any ideas?

cathidaw
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
21 years ago I went to Cyprus for Christmas. I met many elderly ex pats who told me that any of their money- including pensions and bank money brought into the country was taxed at 20% None of them minded as the food heating was cheap and lifestyle perfect.
I'm wondering if the new proposed taxation is on top of that.

Gladys
22-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I've just picked up a flyer off the doormat and away from the post killer jack Russell called Gizmo. It is a UKIP flyer and all about the Bulgarian and Romanian influx to the UK. It states the Government knows it will happen and can't stop it. Part of me is concerned that we are tarring decent people. Not all Bulgarian and Romanian people need the cart blanc label this flyer seems to suggest they are. We should be using the same attitude on British people who scrounge from the system with out ever having any intention to put something back into it. I agree that Britain needs some tight controls to keep the British in it but we go abroad and after all we invaded India and then got out of it. Any ideas how to learn from others without prejudice?

rebbonk
22-04-2013, 05:03 PM
My answer is incredibly simple (and would work anywhere in the world). I don't care who you are, or where you come from; you must either have a job or a means of supporting you and your family if you want to come here. There would be no state support (of any kind) until you have contributed to our system for 5 years. I would also remove all state paid interpreters; you either learn our language or pay for your own interpreter.

Gladys
22-04-2013, 05:29 PM
That makes perfect logical common sense Rebbonk. What's the name of your party? I'll vote for it.