PDA

View Full Version : Livingstone road swimming baths to close.

cathidaw
10-03-2013, 11:32 PM
People outside Coventry maynot know of these baths. It was built in the 30s and has been updated in recent years.In one of the formally deprived areas of Coventry, smack bang in the middle of a mainly Asian community, it is however well used by folk from all over. I use it ,preferring it to the new one in Bedworth even though I have to pay.. I can park- go in and swim, with no hassle. It opens late too so up to 9pm and sometimes later.Bedworth closes at 6 ish unless there are kids swimming classes
A new one is to be built on the outskirts. How many will bother to get 2 buses from
Foleshill to take their children and themselves. A massive petition was sent to the council,but we all knowthe outcome was a foregone conclusion.The health of the Asian community all over the country has always been a worry. Now they are getting the hang of how important excercise and sport is for everyone , the facilities are being taken away.
The new place will be on the outskirts, in another deprived are which has a big sports center already and well used. But, this is the clever bit.On this sports centre site there is a large football area and field. Thats where the new pool will go. Right on the green lungs of the area.The football ground.
They will then have to travel on 2 buses to get back to FOLESHILL PARK-TO PLAY FOOTBALL.

rebbonk
11-03-2013, 05:51 AM
I used to go to Livingston Road Baths on Sunday morning with my dad. It was a great treat. I always preferred these baths to the central ones where I learned to swim.

But yet again our Councillors know what's best don't they? I really think they need a reminding that they work for us!

The question to ask, is just why are they so keen to close these baths; listen to the only radio station worth listening to:- WIIFM What's In It For Me!