PDA

View Full Version : Money for Rugby Town Centre

Lex
30-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Rugby's getting a grant to help increase footfall in their High Street:

http://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/major-new-campaign-launched-by-council-to-help-boost-town-centre-1-4732529

cathidaw
30-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I read this in a hurry --thought it said to increase football in the high street.

However, Councils have courted these large national companies for years now to get their big money, completely ignoring the small men -or women with their smaller shop. Now they going to the wall thick and fast they are trying to woo them back.
It'll take a lot more than a grant to do it. Lower rates cheap parking -if they must charge-lots of smaller enterprises and units.Whoever wants to go shopping in a town where every other shop is empty as in some towns I've been to.The owners should be forced to let them at a nominal charge, perhaps temporarily rates reduced accordingly.Many councils say their hands are tied as the premises belong to outsiders -probably Arabs or Americans I'D SAY.
They can do it for charity shops so why not others.
on another point (of grievance). I have cancelled my DD to amnesty international now that I saw in Saturday's Times that the director and-I think secretary -who have now retired received a sum between them of £850,000 AS A handshake
Some of that was my hard earned dosh.

rebbonk
30-01-2013, 04:17 PM
The high street has been in decline for years, and this isn't going to turn things around. WE have lost the wonderful world of the independent (our loss) due to high rents, disgraceful parking costs and in many instances, pure greed.

As regards charities, I stopped giving a long time ago. My eyes were opened by a pub land-lady who discovered that the boxes placed on her bar were a commission earner for the person that placed them there.

cathidaw
31-01-2013, 01:00 AM
If the councils offered low rents and rates for main street shops which have closed-and have been closed for a long time ,it would make sense to let them to people who want to start a business.We need the independant shops and people know it and would use them.
If charity shops can use them , why not someone who is prepared to pay a rent.
In Bedworth we have many charity shops, some very upmarket ones right on the main area -not tucked away in som alley, with brand new and expensive fittings, costing thousands, And they are bright and well heated. Something's wrong somewhere.