PDA

View Full Version : Bad or eventful journeys

cathidaw
03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Have I ever told you how I went to Newcastle upon Tyne and ended up at Albert Dock.

I WAS SURPRISED ! ! !

ANYONE HAD A BAD OR EVENTFUL JOURNEY TOO?

rebbonk
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Albert Dock - Liverpool? :eek:

cathidaw
04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes !
As I said ---I was surprised too.
A long story.

rebbonk
04-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I can't match that.

I once got on the wrong half of a train split at New Street station.... Pales into insignificance when compared to your experience

cathidaw
04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Want me to say what happened --or too boring?

rebbonk
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Please tell. I never find people boring :)

cathidaw
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I had an appointment in Newcastle at midday. Started out at 5 am. Northbound M6 blocked by pile of planks off a lorry so my logic-ha-said go south and go north at next junction. I did- but further on a bridge was being dismantled -Sunday- so on a 15 mile detour. somehow missed the way but carried on-NORTHWARDS. Somehow missed the right way to bear diagonally up the map- logic again- but had no map. Lost again on gigantic quiet industrial estate - SUNDAY morning - not a soul about except a few cows at one end. Eventually got out and found another garage. No-one spoke English except his wife who could only say 'special offer for you' with a smile and gave me a cake from yesterday .Carried on for ever . Found another garage -Asian again who smilingly waved me on. (They are very kind)
After another age saw a sign Albert Dock 10 miles. Methinks, hmmm,surely thats not on my agenda never noticed that before.( I'm quick that way) Came to anothe garage Asian again and very friendly but didn't know the way to the motorway across the Pennines, but I was in luck, a grumpy chap in a sports car said he was going that way. 'Follow me' he said. He lost me after half a mile --Iwas in a camper van-- but I saw a a sign M63 I think and belted across the beautiful Pennines ) and arrived in Leeds.
Made my long way to Newcastle and got lost in the Metro Centre which was packed. By then it was 11.30.and couldnt stop because of the amount of traffic, so swerved in front of one of the million taxis full of shoppers. He wasn't pleased.mmmm.and said a lot about women drivers . I caught that bit -even tho'he was broad Geordie and who said I was the wrong side of the xxxxxx river. Arrived at 12.05
The others turned up at 12.30.

cathidaw
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
My mother in law told me this many years ago
when my husband was a little boy about 7 or 8 and didn't get his own way, sometimes he'd be angry and say he was leaving home. She'd give him a little suitcase and he'd sit on the step hoping she'd give in. She never did. so he'd stamp off to granny's, about 2 miles away. He'd walk , as he'd never been on a bus on his own. When he arrived his gran was always pleased to see him, gave him food and a drink-- and jobs to do. Cleaning out the shed, or sweeping up the yard. If it was raining, she'd give him some polishing to do, a hands and knees job with Mansion polish. Or some other chore to keep him busy like cleaning everyones shoes.
After a couple of days he'd say 'I think I'll go home now grandma.' She'd take him home on the bus, and no-one ever acted surprised.
Later in life he found out it had been an 'arrangement' between gran and his mum.
I often wondered why he hated the smell of polish.
My parents would not have done that- a psychological approach
A sharp slap was all we needed to jump to it.