PDA

View Full Version : Shottery Housing Development

Lex
26-12-2012, 09:04 PM
There seems to be a lot of anger building up around this. There was a point when I wasn't too bothered one way or the other, but through reading the Herald over the last couple of months, the new development actually IS looking too big & the accompanying infrastructure and facilities are just plain inadequate.

Richard Hyde, the deputy chair of the Shakespeare Trust, is currently sitting on the fence about whether to sell some of the trust's land, after the trust has previously opposed the scheme. I wonder if our Mr Hyde is negotiating with the developers for something to his advantage/to make himself look good.

Shizara
27-12-2012, 03:52 AM
I must be really dense because I see land being turned over into housing, yet, there are so many empty homes and buildings. Is it cheaper to build from new, are the older homes, refurbished not good enough, or is there some other reason that justifies the loss of land to such huge estates? I really think I must be missing something here.

massimo1987
02-01-2013, 05:31 AM
e wrote some of the most famous plays in history
We now could probably learn a lot from him
They are still finding writings by him

Lastly, do some actual research, you might learn something

Shizara
02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
As you say, the general point is why on earth is this going ahead when goodness knows there are so many brownfield sites in the country ( not Stratford of course ) that are crying out for developlment and these builders just aren't interested and continually seem to want our green belt land to put expensive houses up and not good, reasonably priced places for evryone.

I daresay, what lies behind this is MONEY... It likely costs a lot more to clean up and re-use brownfield sites. In some respects it is short sighted thinking. Who pays the council tax on those sites? Would it not make more sense to make the purchase and use of them for building more attractive and at the same time I would think that the amount of council tax into the coffers would increase making it a win-win situation.

cathidaw
04-01-2013, 10:47 PM
My daughter has moved to STRATFORD and lives on the Trinity Mead . A very attractive place as estates go. That also was built upon a greenfield area. The trouble is, the councils are extending the building area to possibly 3 times the size now which changes the whole project. Who knows how large it will be eventually.Fortunately there is now a community centre not far away, and people have got together to be a very social community.Councils should ,as shizara said make brownfield sites more attractive for builders so that those who wish to be near or in the Town, have that opportunity.
I'd like to live in that town, but even decrepit houses are expensive, so it's relatively cheaper to buy a new one on a new estate..
This country is recognised as having the smallest rooms in new builds in the whole of Europe..