PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner today

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mari
17-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I never know what do have for dinner from day to day, I don't get that inspired with food lately. Anyway we're having fish and veg, after rice pud. borin innit!

You see, we are very limited to what we eat, the only meat we have really, is fish or chicken or turkey. I will do a beef stew when my son fancies a change.

:)

rebbonk
17-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg. :)

Trouble is, I get the washing up!

cathidaw
17-07-2012, 06:00 PM
mari, I too only eat 2 legged meat.
My cooker has broken down and awaiting an electrician.
Surprising how much one can do with a microwave
Cheesy eggs and allsorts.!

Mari
17-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Yer right Cathi, the microwave is great for certain meals, such as baked potato , and heating up beans, etc.. I have to be careful with eggs and cheese though,because of cholesterol.

Mari
17-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Roast chicken, roast potatoes and veg. :)

Trouble is, I get the washing up!

Fair doos eh? ;)

rebbonk
18-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Fair doos eh? ;)

Quite fair (well, almost!)

Spag' bol tonight - Yummy

Gladys
18-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I have no idea as usual- I also get lack lustre with what to do for the evening meal. Last night was roasted spiced chicken legs and thighs, new potatoes and mange tout. (Don't know if I spelt that right) Tonight looks like a pancetta taglietelli in sauce or a chicken stir fry.

cathidaw
18-07-2012, 11:33 PM
It all sound so fancy nowadays.
Lots of Italian style food and Indian.
how I see some of it....

Fried potato skins ...we used to cook them for the pigs

Wraps.. leftovers wrapped in peasant pastry eg ..flour and water dough

spaghetti.. peasant food mixed with leftovers and spiced

curried veg... English veggie stew laced with curry powder / herbs

Bombay potatoes...as above but chillie added.

Mange tout ..weren't they called pea pods when we were kids and put in the pig bin?.

Dont get me wrong these are just cynical thoughts and I do often eat out.
Not wraps though .. too much like wet window leathers.
(Perhaps we weren't so thrifty in those days if we threw these 'delicacies' out)

I will admit that if I don't feel like cooking my food reflects my indifference

rebbonk
19-07-2012, 07:07 AM
I must admit I'm one for the "old" comfort foods.

I love bangers and mash, liver and onions, fish and chips, toffee pudding, rice pudding and the like. Basically all the foods that we loved as kids.

I think tonight I'll do a potato and onion pie

Gladys
19-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Cottage pie- yum. That's my idea of comfort food. Tonight is yet again an unknown at this point in the day. Sausages, mashed potatoe and peas I think seems to be a strong contender. ( Only butcher shop proper sausages though. I can't stand those supermarket bought packet ones that have very little of anything good in them.)

Mari
19-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Mmmmm, good old traditional food mentioned by Rebbonk and all.

This summer I haven't felt much like making salads, though I love them.
Today we'll have vegetable Quiche, Sweet potatoes, and more veg.

Gladys, Once upon a time , when I was young, I used to eat the pea pods that were grown in the garden, I loved the crispy but juicy and tender young pods.......I love peas too though , they are very good for you.
Right now, the weather is driving me demented, I've had my washing out and in and I'm going to hang it out again, it keeps brightening up then coming over all cloudy.
I do love the taking a big sniff of fresh clean laundry that has been out on the line.
Ok.. some folk are queer.:p

:D

Gladys
19-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Mari, I know the hang it out, bring it in again game- been doing it myself today. Its simply the most dreadful summer I can recall for ages. Well- since last year actually

Shizara
21-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Years ago I seem to remember a place that had something shaped like a ball and deep fried on the menu each Saturday. They were cheap and suspiciously I dissected one to see what was in it. This deep fried ball, for all intents and purposes, looked like sandwiches ripped up and rolled into balls. We gave them the name "Garbage Balls" and discarded them accordingly.

For me, dinner last night was a 'quick do' - a quorn cottage pie and it was yum.

Gladys
21-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Shizara, Quorn is such a brilliant protein very low fat soya product. I keep forgetting to buy it though. Now you've reminded me I will. However, as the sun is promised to us, I want to get some proper butchers BBQ spare ribs for this evening- we'll have them with salad.

rebbonk
21-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I think we're doing faggots tonight. :)

Shizara
21-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I am guessing faggots are what I know of as rissoles. I used to make them with chopped bacon, chopped mushrooms, chopped onion, chopped tomato and fresh breadcrumbs. Form balls, flattening a bit with a fork. dust with flour and put them into either a deep frying pan or an electric fry pan with a little oil to frighten the outside into browning. Take out, make gravy in the frying pan or electric fry pan. Put the rissoles into the gravy, turn down, simmer until vegies cooked. Makes them nice and tender.

rebbonk
21-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Here you go Shizara Faggot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29)

You weren't a million miles away. :)

cathidaw
22-07-2012, 02:10 AM
I decided to lose weight3 months ago. I 've sat around more than I've ever done, since I had my new ankle joint...so I took myself in hand. No bread , cakes biscuits-----no flour in fact.Its quite....(.Ive stopped saying 'amazing' now)..er..a feat of the imagination to decide what to eat , but I've lost 11 pounds-and can almost pat my own back-Never hungry either as i was with all these diet books.Lots of protien -never never do I eat red meat, only 2 legged-- and veg. Then my cooker gave up the ghost 3 weeks ago-the new one comes on Tuesday --so it was microwave or raw...well raw salads and chick peas, stuff like that. I dont like fish much -only tinned.
No need for those silly word games to keep the mind active when life is at stake. ! !.

rebbonk
22-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Well, last night's meal was very pleasant and enjoyable.

'Tis the good lady's turn tonight, and she's already muttering about beans on toast!

Shizara
22-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Baked frrrrts are full of protein :p

Gladys
22-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Lentils- isn't that what they are? Anyway, Well done Cathidaw, I take my hat off to you. I tried a minimal carb diet- just an odd baby potatoe was the only carb I'd allow myself but I really got withdrawal symptoms and pined for a hunk of bread and cheese. It lasted about 3 months and I slid back but I do intend to do it again; like now.
This evening will be a spatchcock which I stud through with garlic and then cover with oregano and rosemary served with broad beans and a roasted concoction of peppers, onions, baby toms, black olives.

Gladys
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Does anyone have any inspiration for today's dinner? I am really stuck and can't think what to do. I think I may be a bit lacking in lustre so any ideas would be a help?

rebbonk
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Not much help I'm afraid, but after a couple of pints I've got a quiche lined up.

Lex
02-09-2012, 02:56 PM
How about pasta & tomato sauce? When I make, I usually chuck a tin of chopped tomato in a pan with fried onion, chopped bacon (if I've got some lying about in the fridge) and other odds/bits and dried herbs knocking about my cupboard.

cathidaw
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Wow then, speaking of food, What about today's'happening' .:
I had soaked some lentils for 2 days to make lentil soup. Now real lentil soup needs celery which I hate , but I had bought some hoping it wouldn't taste. I put the lentils in my pressure cooker- then thought -I'll go on line for a bit-as you do-- I got on line didn't I giggling away at Gladys's-spidery adventures, until I could smell burning. The lentils were nice and black.
Hey ho-- I thought - these things happen, but I'd better do something with the celery which as I said , I hate. But no... I'd left it in Tesco.
Dinner today was lovely.Cheese omelette , half of a trifle and a white Magnum.
I'll bet your mouths are watering.!

Gladys
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Rebbonk,Lex2 and Cathidaw. I didn't see your posts as I got sidetracked so had to dash to the shop 10 minutes before it closed. I love the tomatoe pasta dish- often do that one. We ended up with a spatched chicken which I roasted and had baby potatoes, broad beans and home grown runner beans. It was quite yum. I got some rasberries, blue berries and cherries too so all in all, it went down well.

Celery is a strange thing. I do like it but not all the time. Its the best thing to compliment a Bloody Mary or a Virgin Mary. I can't have either without celery salt which is brilliant sprinkled all over potatoes with Cayenne pepper and then roasted. Just add chopped garlic 15-20 minutes before they're done. Hot and spicey and none of the strange taste that celery can add to things so good if you're a celery novice.

Mari
04-09-2012, 05:01 AM
I love crunchy celery! ;) Have you tried a stalk of celery with cream cheese or peanut butter spread on it . ie. spread in the groove. Delicious!

I always buy British veg and organically grown when I can.

Mari
04-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Cathi, well done loosing weight they way you did, I can do without cakes, buscuits, chocolate etc.. but I do enjoy my two slices of toast in the mornings.
What did you replace for your bread, Rivita?

cathidaw
04-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Nothing.
For carbs I wanted minimal so ate butter beans , chick peas, and not many of those.Mostly eggs chicken, tinned fish. salad and tomatoes and vegetables.
It's surprising how easy it is to cut out carbs such as bread cakes biscuits, pizza's and chips.Protiens fill you up..Chocolate,trifle, and ice cream for a treat.
If I dont feel like cooking there is a takeaway in Longford which does fresh tandoori chopped chicken and salad. I dont like wraps they taste like window leathers and ryvita to me smells likrke rabbit food

rebbonk
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, tonight I've gone for a Chilli and rice.

Shizara
27-12-2012, 03:40 AM
I had a nice, peaceful day, but as for turkey, no thanks, have never been a fan. I had fish, which is hardly traditional for the time of the year but enjoyable all the same.

Shizara
27-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Jacket spuds tonight! - Always a favourite.

rebbonk
28-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Fish fingers!

...and for tonight, Sausages, chips and mushy peas! - Lovely!

rebbonk
28-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm only a fan of HP sauces, but since they moved production away, I've refused to buy it.

rebbonk
28-12-2012, 03:34 PM
From Aston to Holland

source : Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224748/HP-Sauce-Britishness-campaign-slammed-Facebook-page-condiment-Holland.html)

cathidaw
30-12-2012, 12:17 AM
I noticed that Heinz tomato ketchup in a glass bottle is the original. All that squeezy bottled stuff is vinegary.

I had a trifle for dinner today.

rebbonk
30-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Well, last night I had prepared chicken kievs to go with savoury rice.

As we'd been out for an early drink, the good lady offered to cook. - Ever had "sticky" savoury rice? http://userimages01-akm.imvu.com/productdata/images_2332362a3e4d32e8d4861ed998e21d77.gif

rebbonk
18-01-2013, 05:50 AM
I can't see my avatar? - Boo!

Oddly enough, I made a large beef stew for last night... It will last for tonight as well. Nothing better is there?

I used to cook my stews in a slow-cooker, but have recently gone back to using the oven; somehow it seems a lot tastier.

cathidaw
18-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Today I decided to use a pizza from my freezer which I bought as a top up for when my grandchidren come 9 after they've eaten the meal. However I had one left so I cooked it and didn't fancy it so ended up with 2 boiled eggs and salad. My pizza-- chopped up for my scruffy, part white blackbird and his mates out in the snow..
Then I felt guilty. What waste when half the world is starving--

rebbonk
19-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Second warm up of a stew, always best!

Likely a light meal for Saturday, not sure what yet.

cathidaw
20-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Oh dear, I hope you are feeling ok rebbonk. I love your new avatar by the way. :)

I made a lovely big pot of stew yesterday and enough for today, I added leeks, onions, carrots, parsnip, turnip, some spuds and garlic. my husband liked it, he said it reminded him of the stew when he had school dinners. :eek: I hope that was meant as a compliment!
Mind you, in Scotland I used to enjoy school dinners, I loved the creamy custard when it wasn't being flung about! ;)

How I loved those school dinners.Hot from one of those metal containers delivered from the school kitchens somewhere in Cheylesmore.Real food Stew and veg, Jam sauce and custard, Chops and veg with gravy, Sometimes liver and onions, rice pudding with skin on, Fish and white sauce with mash and peas,....I wont go on I'm salivating.
No pizzas, burgers and chips then. wraps, spaghetti. wE ALL CALLED THEM NAMES AND SAID UGH ! BUT REALLY ENJOYED THEM. sECONDS TOO IF YOU EMPTIED THE PLATE IN TIME.

rebbonk
21-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Anyone got any old school recipes we could share? I remember one meal with mince in a savoury pastry case that was quite tasty.

cathidaw
21-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I forgot to mention in the school dinner saga----real tapioca pudding-the big stuff we called frogspawn.
I once worked at a day nursery and the cook was inspired, and had some specials of her own. So rebbonk-- here's a 'sweet' for you (pronounced 'pudding' in English)
Bake a pastry case blind. For the filling,make some white sauce with milk and normal flour-nice and thick. boil well, then add a full tablespoon of golden syrup- beat up and pour into pastrycase. Leave to cool. It will slice. Unbelievable ! !
My children and grandkids love it. I made my daughter one on her birthday last year.
Toffee cream pie it's called.
Who cares about calories all of the time

rebbonk
21-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Sounds tasty. I might give that one a try. :)

cathidaw
21-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I dont know-worth a try although the golden syrup takes up a whole new flavour in this--and I dont like honey.
No-one ever guessed how it was made.

cathidaw
03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I went to a Burns night 'do' last week in a village hall. It was a good 'do' too but I dont ever remember food being like this was. (grammar)
Tatties and neeps -watery, Cockaleekie soup, very pink and 'fleshy looking' ugh
But the vegetarian haggis was sublime. Never heard of it ? neither had I but as an almost veggie, and my family full veggie's it was great to think that someone cared enough to think of others.
Tha atmosphere was perfect.

Gladys
14-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Good Morning- I have no idea what to do for today as I am still swathed in the comfort of the yummy meal my friend did for 8 of us last night. Really meaty lamb shanks that she'd left to ' do ' in the crock pot in a red wine , garlic & herby sauce served after about 4 hours with mashed potatoes and green veggies. We had to wash it down of course with several glasses of wine. It would have been very rude not to. The meal was finished off with a cheese board with a camenbert that just trickled as you sliced through- heaven. The whole process took 6 or so hours of fun and laughter added to by a game of Trivial Pursuits. The questions seem far to obtuse these days compared to how I remember it used to be but some of our answers (after the medicinal drinks) were ridiculous. We managed to sway homewards around 2am.

rebbonk
14-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Last night I left a Shepherd's pie cooking whilst I ventured out for a couple of drinks. I must say, it was quite delicious.

I have no idea about what we'll eat today, something light I hope....

Tomorrow the good lady has a roast chicken planned and on Tuesday I'm doing a rather hot Chilli.

Gladys
14-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Comfort food- good old traditional British grub Yum. Shepherds pie is just one of those classics. I think this evening all I'll do is a spaghetti in sauce. The sauce is made from smoked bacon lardons- fried until crisp with onion and garlic, oregano, black pepper, then a tin of chopped tomatoes is added with some basil. The cooked spaghetti goes in when this has simmered for about 20 minutes, its turned down low and fresh spinach is added to it with the lid on to allow it to wilt. More freshly ground black pepper and Parmesan cheese on the top to serve with garlic bread on the side.

Lex
14-04-2013, 02:31 PM
We've got roast pork today. I've put so much salt on the fat, we might need a pneumatic drill to cut the crackling.
:)

cathidaw
14-04-2013, 10:09 PM
As I only have only ate poultry for the past35 years and I love the smell of bacon, I have discovered turkey rashers by Mattisons.
At first I fried them, then being lazy put them on a plate in microwave, just as good. They are delicious-smoky ones are the best.Very low fat and high protien too.

Gladys
14-04-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm going to look them out. I haven't seen these before. Thank You .

rebbonk
15-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Turkey rashers are quite nice; when I worked in the Middle East we often had them.

Gladys
26-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I haven't tried chicken sausages but I do have a great big bag of Welsh dragon sausages. They are from our butcher friend. He makes them from scratch and no sooner has he done so they sell out.They are so meaty made with pork- not rough end cuts either. They are mixed with herby concoction and some chilli to give a very subtle kick and there's no fat in them or next to none. I think I'll wack a few on the BBQ later and we'll have them with salad and jersey new potatoes.

rebbonk
26-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Corned beef hash and baked beans today. - Easy and light.

Gladys
26-06-2013, 11:12 PM
I could never get my head around corned beef. I only met it at school aged 11-18. I still can't. Rebonnk, I'm sure you enjoyed it anyway? x

rebbonk
27-06-2013, 06:48 AM
I did Gladys.

Only one problem, I mucked up setting the oven before I went out for a drink: got home and it was stone cold. Shall we say I received a few stern words from the other half?

Still, once heated through it was lovely.

I have a sweet potato chilli planned for the weekend. Mmmmm!

rebbonk
27-06-2013, 05:20 PM
I love sweet potato. I'd be interested your recipe rebbonk, as long as its not too hot.

As long as it works out right, I'll post it here midweek ;)

rebbonk
30-06-2013, 04:32 AM
I cooked the chili early this morning, and I must say, it tastes a treat. :)

I always think a chili tastes better after being rested before being eaten, rather like a good stew.

The recipe will do the two of us for two days when served with rice.

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Half a dozen stalks celery, chopped
2 largish sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tea spoons chili powder

Cook gently at 160 for about 11/2 hours

I'll add a few chopped spring onions when I warm it for serving.

If you don't like it too hot, perhaps add the chili powder later and gradually?

Gladys
30-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Yum- sounds lovely. What time are you eating? I haven't decided on our meal yet. It'll be hard to follow last night's though. The most yummiest meal cooked by our friends and shared with 8 in total. To start, nibbles in the form of olives, gherkins, nachos with jalapenos etc washed down with a glass of fiz, then a whole leg of lamb that had been studded with garlic and rosemary served with crushed new potatoes sprinkled with rosemary, ( You have to like rosemary or you'd be stuffed) finished off with fresh green beans, sprouts and carrots and of course a light but tasty gravy if you wished. Then as if that wasn't enough- rhubarb and mandarin crumble with ginger ice cream and or custard and cream. I missed that bit- I'm not a rhubarb fan but I did par take of the cheese and biscuits which included a whole Camembert studded with garlic and (guess what?) rosemary baked until runny. Simply magic.I think we wended our way home around 0145. If it is going to be between 24-26 degrees today, I think its going to be a salad with a couple of steaks on the BBQ.

Gladys
02-07-2013, 10:29 AM
well that's it- BBQ has gone. I'll probably do stir fry chicken and will use some spring onions in that too. They really do add something to it that I notice is missing if I don't use them.

rebbonk
18-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I did a Jamaican style corned beef meal last night.

Corned beef
Red pepper
Tomatoes
Onion
Spring onion
Sprinkle of chili powder

Served with white rice and cucumber.

Even Mrs Rebbonk was impressed!

Gladys
18-10-2013, 05:05 PM
I've made a beef Jalfrehzi from scratch for tonight. I uusually do it with chicken but thought I'd give it a go using the beef. Its smells and tastes delicious- just simmering on low now.

Margaret
18-10-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm doing onion and corn omelette and farm house sausages, veg on the side, peas and broccoli.
plain and simple today.

rebbonk
18-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Mrs Rebbonk is cooking tonight, I guess 3.00 am indigestion will be the result.

(She's just bashed me for that... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent001.gif )

Gladys
18-10-2013, 10:46 PM
OMG- Dear and Oh dear- I suggest you cook- let her relax.

Gladys
15-11-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm doing lamb in a Blanket.

Lex
16-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Sounds interesting; what's the recipe?

Margaret
16-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Is the the lamb in pastry, Gladys?

For a little birthday treat the other day, I was taken to the House of Fraser restaurant, where they are serving a very nice Christmas dinner, so I really did enjoy the turkey with all the trimmings and veggies, and for afters I indulged in Christmas pudding with custard. Yummm!

Lex
16-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Ooh, that's got my mouth watering!

Gladys
16-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Hi Lex and Margaret, The Lamb in a Blanket is a play on Beef Wellington without the pate.Its a recipe I developed a many few years back. Basically it IS :- a fillet of neck of lamb, seared and set to rest.Smear the lamb after cooking with mustard- English or Dijon- leave it rest and to cool.Then make a mix fried and made up of onions, mushrooms, garlic, oregano and rosemary, pepper and salt. Set that side and let that and the lamb cool whilst rolling out puff pastry. Cut oblongs large enough for the lamb with at least 2-3 inches either side of the fillet. Lay fresh spinach deep in a line in the centre and then put the mushroom mix along that with the lamb laid on top. Beat an egg and use this to seal the edges of the pastry around the lamb log like a pasty and paint the ' log ' with the egg. Turn it over and put it on an oiled baking sheet for 35-45 minutes at gas mark 7( no idea what that is in electric) or until the pastry has risen and is golden.Yummy, yum yum,yum xxx Serve with a gravy on the side with favorite veggies,.

Margaret
17-11-2013, 03:13 AM
Gladys, that is a meal fit for a King!
Though lamb it is too rich for me, I would try it with beef.

Gladys
17-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Yes, it certainly hits the spot. I did Beef in Ale pie last night. That was also delicious.

Lex
17-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow, that sounds fantastic Gladys!

Gladys
17-11-2013, 02:39 PM
It was a bit scrummy. I've just taken one round for my Mum to have tonight. We're off out to a friend who is doing roast beef with all the trimmings. I am looking forward to that on this horrible cold, grey day.

Margaret
17-11-2013, 02:51 PM
It was a bit scrummy. I've just taken one round for my Mum to have tonight. We're off out to a friend who is doing roast beef with all the trimmings. I am looking forward to that on this horrible cold, grey day.

Sounds delicious Gladys, just the thing for a cold winters dreary day.

Today I concocted another pot of chicken soup using what was left over from Saturday roast chicken .
I added the usual, veggies like swede, carrots, onions, parsnips, a few new potatoes,leeks, some red and yellow peppers, and this time I used a whole garlic , which was about 7 or 8 cloves, some sea salt and black pepper. Lovely flavour it was.
For main meal I made an omelette with peppers, leek and onions . served with peas and spinach.
For pud, we had strawberry yoghurt.

Gladys
18-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Yum, Margaret. that sounds like a super healthy scrummy concoction. I always get the quantities wrong with soup. I seem to end up making buckets full, it goes on and on and on. Our friend did the roast beef last night which was fab but today I am rather stuck for ideas for tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Something simple to do as I am not in cooking mode.)

Lex
18-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I made myself bangers & cheesy mash for dinner on Saturday.

Gladys
18-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Lovely, Lex but what are you having tonight? I am still stuck; just don't seem to have any inspiration. Maybe its the grey, cold day? If I did sausages, they would have to be the butcher's own ones we get and I haven't got any. I dislike (with a passion) super market shop bought pre-packed ones. Perhaps, I'll grab some chicken breasts and do fajitas. I don't know- something like that I think. They are quick, easy and tasty.

Lex
18-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I've got cold chicken and bubble & squeak tonight. We always do a double amount of veg. on a Sunday so we can have B&S with our cold roast on a Monday.

rebbonk
18-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Steak pie and mash tonight.

Sadly, a bought in pie.

Gladys
18-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Steak pie still does it for me bought or not. I have opted for a chicken Jalfrehzi- made from scratch because its quick and I have perfected it. The main nuisance is chopping the veggies that go into it. Still 20 minutes later and job done . Now its just bubbling away slowly.

Margaret
26-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Steak pie and mash tonight.

Sadly, a bought in pie.

Nothing wrong with a bought pie, some are very good quality ones. M&S do a nice beef and ale, and chicken and leek, the pastry is nice too.

Margaret
26-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Steak pie still does it for me bought or not. I have opted for a chicken Jalfrehzi- made from scratch because its quick and I have perfected it. The main nuisance is chopping the veggies that go into it. Still 20 minutes later and job done . Now its just bubbling away slowly.

Have you got the recipe handy Gladys?

rebbonk
26-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Last night I did an Apple, sultana and sausage casserole served on a bed of rice. - Not half bad!

Lex
26-11-2013, 04:00 PM
that sounds really nice Mr R! Had my 1st attempt at shin of beef over the weekend - it turned out a lot better than I hoped :D

Gladys
26-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes Margaret, I'll type it up later and will copy and paste it on here. I'm just doing a bolognese tonight and will revamp the remainder into a chilli for tomorrow.

Margaret
26-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes Margaret, I'll type it up later and will copy and paste it on here. I'm just doing a bolognese tonight and will revamp the remainder into a chilli for tomorrow.

Thanks Gladys, I'll check in tomorrow.:)

Margaret
06-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Here is a simple but hearty recipe someone gave me to try.

Chorizo and Butter Bean Stew (serves 4)

700g new potatoes
60ml olive oil
1 red onion peeled and chopped
500g chorizo sausage, sliced
4 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
400g can butter beans
410g can chopped tomatoes
150ml beef or chicken stock
Chopped parsley for ‘décor’

Method
- Cook potatoes until just tender (10 mins?);
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan/wok;
- Add onion and cook for 4-5 mins until just softened;
- Add chorizo and cook until it starts to turn golden;
- Transfer chorizo mixture to a plate and set aside;
- Add garlic + chilli to the pan/wok and a few seconds, and then add the potatoes, butter
beans, tomatoes and chorizo mixture;
- Pour in stock, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 mins.

Gladys
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
That sounds delish Margaret.Is that what you're having tonight? I said I'd give you the recipe for the jalfrehzi. Here goes.
Chicken Jalfrehzi - serves 3 or 4 people

The recipe flavours are best if left to develop and eaten after a few hours or the next day. The spice quantities can be adjusted to taste.

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts or deboned thighs with skin off - chop into chunks
1 Large onion chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic or as much or as little as you like- chopped finely
Fresh ginger matched in size quantity to equal the garlic cloves chopped finely
3 or 4 peppers rough chopped into chunks/slices ( I use one of each colour)
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
A glug of sunflower oil to fry the above
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 of a 220 gram jar of Red Thai curry paste
50mls of water or more depending on how dry the mixture seems
Small bunch of fresh coriander to finish (Optional)
Basmati rice
Naan bread
Method

Heat up the oil in a large frying pan or wok
Add the cumin seeds and allow them to begin to pop
After 40-60 seconds add in the onion, peppers, garlic and ginger and cook until softening - around 5 minutes
stir in the red curry paste and fry all together for a further 3 or 4 minutes.
Add in the ground cumin, ground coriander and chilli powder and water blending these through and frying for another 2 minutes or so.
Add in the chicken and cook for 5 minutes
Stir in the tinned tomatoes and place a lid on the curry and leave to cook through for another 20-25 minutes.
Finish off with fresh coriander to taste at serving point
Serve with Basmati rice & Naan bread.

Margaret
06-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks Gladys, that is a must! I need to try something different.

rebbonk
06-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I did a Burmese egg curry the other night. Very tasty!

6 eggs hard boiled, allowed to cool and shelled, then fried in turmeric laced oil. Gives a very nice crispy outer skin.

Onions, garlic, chilli powder, tomatoes and a sliced chilli fried up

Halve the eggs (lengthways) and add to the mix

Serve on a bed of fluffy white rice

(Ingredients can be altered to suit personal taste)

rebbonk
06-12-2013, 11:57 AM
If only Stilton didn't aggravate my gout...

Clicky bit (http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-D066A376-4477ED39/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/4390.htm)

Gladys
06-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Rebbonk, That sounds like heart attack on rice but very scrummy all the same. I have no idea what we'll have tonight. I think I feel a good old bit of steak coming on with a salad. Himself has to have the customary chips with it though.

rebbonk
06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Gladys, it was to feed two of us: I guess I ought have made that clearer.

Tonight we'll be having steak 'n ale pie with chips. Sadly, bought in pie and ('orrible) oven chips. - Mrs Rebbonk doesn't much like cooking!

Gladys
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Steak in ale pie bought or made does it for me. I have a feeling the jalfrehzi is a contender for tomorrow evening as we have friends to feed. Curry on a Saturday night just fits the biscuit.

rebbonk
11-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Well, I was in the dog house yesterday. I went shopping and 'forgot' things, even though I had a list! (I must be going even more senile!)

So, as a placatory gesture I did my version of Würstchen im Schlafrock ("sausages in a dressing gown"). Good quality Cumberland sausages wrapped in pancakes and sweetened with a few spots of honey. - Delicious!

Margaret
11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
That does sound nice rebbonk.

My husband has gone out shopping today, so what he gets for dinner will be a wait and see surprise .:p

Lex
14-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Had a go at drying parsley this morning. We had some in the back garden that was just starting to turn due to the season, so I decided to cut it up fine and stick it in the oven at a low temperature for an hour.

Margaret
14-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Hi Lex, glad to see we are back online again.
I have heard that fresh parsley eaten, can get rid of the odour if you have been eating garlic.

I get a lot of mint growing in the summer, and not sure how to dry it or use it fresh, I love the scent it has.
I suppose I could make fresh mint tea.

Lex
15-12-2013, 07:37 AM
If you're a lamb fan, how about making some mint sauce? I made some a couple of years ago and froze it; can't remember the exact recipe, but it basically just involves fresh mint, malt vinegar & sugar.

Gladys
16-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm doing pig in a blanket which is my other version of lamb in a blanket.It isn't little sausages wrapped in bacon either. I'll write the recipe down if any one is interested.

rebbonk
21-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Tonight we had chicken, leek, potato and mushroom pie. - all cooked by myself. I must admit, it was scrummy!

Margaret
22-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Tonight we had chicken, leek, potato and mushroom pie. - all cooked by myself. I must admit, it was scrummy!

That does sound good, rebbonk.
I've got chicken soup to make , and salmon with veg later today.

rebbonk
22-12-2013, 09:52 AM
As I fancy a drink tonight, I'll prepare Louisiana rice and warm it up when we come in.

• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 pepper, deseeded and chopped
• 12 small chestnut mushrooms, washed and halved
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1 can (400g) of chopped tomatoes
• 11/2 cups of white long grain rice
• 3/4 pint of vegetable stock
• 1 tbl spoon of marjoram
• 1 cup of frozen peas
• 1 cup of frozen sweetcorn
• 1 can (400g) kidney beans drained and rinsed

Now that will put a smile on my face

Gladys
22-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Now that does sound nice Rebbonk. I must admit I am struggling with what to have later and for tomorrow given that Christmas Eve will be steak and salad. Can't do a roast tonight- had one last night at our friend's.Maybe a shepherds pie or cottage pie which will stretch through tomorrow as well. yes, I think that'll be the one.

rebbonk
24-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Tonight will be a light Veggie curry.

I've used up all the bits of veg that accumulate and cooked it slowly in my own curry sauce overnight.

I'll serve it with a few chips I think, just for a change.

Margaret
27-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Good, just used up the last of the turkey and made turkey soup.
We had turkey sandwiches and salad too.
I must say it was a nice turkey, but glad to see the end of it!

rebbonk
27-12-2013, 03:37 PM
We only had a turkey 'joint' but it still lasted two days.

Last night it was cold turkey, pickles, pork pie, scotch egg and a few chips. Quite enjoyable really.

Tonight will again be 'cold fayre' but with ham instead of turkey.

Gladys
29-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Our turkey crown went like a shot. It is the first time I've had one and it won't be the last because it was hassle free and moist. Tonight will be Boeuf Bourgignon. I have been marinading the beef since last night so it should be about right to get it under way about now.

rebbonk
29-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Since I fancy a pint tonight, it'll likely be a Ginster's pastie and a few chips.

rebbonk
29-12-2013, 09:47 PM
OK, when did Ginster's shrink their Pasties? I won't be buying again!

Gladys
29-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Mars Bars did the same , so did lots and also packets of Walkers Salt and vinegar crisps, Sad country we live in. ' Pay more for less ' is our motto or should be!

rebbonk
30-12-2013, 06:43 AM
It's a 'hidden' inflation Gladys :mad:

Gladys
30-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Isn't it just? I wonder when they will start messing around with Imperial measures against those liters, kilos etc? Rebbonk, your pint may shrink as the glasses they might bring in will only hold 500mls ( 1 pint is 0.56826128524935 mls) The cost won't though.

rebbonk
07-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Well, I had a bit of a disaster last week with a Boston hotpot. (Basically, beans, gammon, chipolatas celery, onions and garlic) Mrs Rebbonk complained it tasted too salty and gave her wind! I actually enjoyed it and I had no problems with it.

So, last night by way of redemption I did a toad in the hole, with a difference! Thick pork sausages and apple slices. Served with small Charlotte potatoes (waxy so don't break up) peas and onion gravy. I am now back in Mrs Rebbonk's good books, though not the dog's as she didn't get any.

rebbonk
07-01-2014, 04:08 PM
chilli con carne tonight, complete with garlic bread. ;)

Margaret
07-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Mmmm, nice warm garlic bread.

rebbonk
16-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Homemade steak and mushroom pie! - Just browning nicely now :)

Gladys
16-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I have no idea what to have today. Home made steak and mushroom pie sounds lovely. However, I am not feeling like doing all the prep so it has to be something quick - stir fry maybe.

rebbonk
16-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I love stir frys Gladys

I had a few mushrooms left over so did a mushroom pasty. Served it up to Mrs Rebbonk with a cuppa in bed. I think I'm in her good books for the moment.

Gladys
16-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Rebbonk, how nice was that- well done. I didn't do stir fry but ended up with a complete 'U'turn on my not feeling like preparing stuff. I did Chicken Kievs from scratch except I now know I need to practice as the innards leaked out of one of them. I'd cut the pocket in the chicken breast too thin and it split. It was still lovely though.

rebbonk
17-01-2014, 08:29 AM
As I'm still in the good books, Mrs Rebbonk has offered to take me for a drink tonight and treat me to sausage and chips. (I got got some decent quality, thick, pork sausages when I was in town the other day.)

I must admit, I do like a good quality sausage, simple comfort food, that hits the spot. I'd prefer them with mash, but as I'm being treated...

I bet that'll go down nicely after a pint or two though. ;)

Gladys
17-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I only get our butchers special sausages. That sounds like a lovely evening ahead for you both Rebbonk.

rebbonk
18-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Tonight ('cause I managed to twist Mrs Rebbonk's arm for another few drinks) I've done us a shepherd's pie with apple mash on top.

I'll set the oven whilst we're out and we'll come home to the smell of freshly cooked shepherds pie, and no waiting to eat. :)

Gladys
18-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Mmm- what's the recipe for apple mash? I did beef mince, onions , mushrooms and gravy with (black pepper, thyme, sage, bay leaves and oregano- These were added to the onions and mushrooms with the beef mince as it bubbled away) , baby potatoes and shredded spring greens tonight. Lazy I may be but quick and very comforting it was.

rebbonk
19-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Mmm- what's the recipe for apple mash?

Nothing special... Just add a diced and gently cooked (softened) apple at the mashing stage. Gives the mash quite a nice tang.

rebbonk
24-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Lamb stew tonight!

A few pieces of neck of lamb, cooked slowly overnight. Just right for warming tonight after a couple of pints. :)

Gladys
24-01-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm dining out with friends at our local Italian Restaurant. I don't know what's on the menu yet but I hope there will be Gnocchi as I love that.

Margaret
25-01-2014, 06:21 AM
I thought the food forum might be the best place for this informative video link on fake blueberries in cereals.

http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=7EC06D27B1A945BE85E7DA8483025962

rebbonk
25-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Still got some stew left for tonight http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/befje/smileys/bth_bf-mesvorksmiley.gif

Gladys
25-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Home made chicken kievs.

Lex
25-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Got faggots tonight - decided to casserole them.

Gladys
29-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Chicken Jalfrehzi. Yum- made from scratch other than the red thai curry paste. I haven't got all the gubbins for that , nor the know how.

rebbonk
29-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Sausage and chips tonight (Mrs Rebbonk is 'cooking').

I'll do a shepherd's pie tomorrow.

Lex
30-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm dining out with friends at our local Italian Restaurant. I don't know what's on the menu yet but I hope there will be Gnocchi as I love that.

Did you have gnocchi Gladys?

Gladys
30-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Yes, Lex. It was scrumptious. I just can't get past it. I had it as a starter and this time it was with chicken breast pieces in a lovely creamy, herb and garlic sauce.

Lex
30-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Wow, that sounds amazing!

Gladys
31-01-2014, 05:37 PM
That's why I can't get past it. They do it in various sauces. I don't eat tentacled species and am not good with fish but for those who do they say the squid or baby octopus version is to die for. I've done Moussaka tonight but worried it will be a bit of piste as I haven't made it before and haven't cooked aubergines for a very very long time. It tasted alright or the sauce did so I'll let you know.

rebbonk
03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Well, after a disaster with jacket potatoes last night, I'm doing a steak and onion pie tonight.

Mrs Rebbonk's mum is in hospital. Mrs Rebbonk was offered a lift up to the hospital. When she returned home she was a touch upset about things and wanted to go out. As ever, I obliged. Had to turn the potatoes off though and re-heat them when we came in. They just weren't right somehow. Dog was delighted though!

Gladys
03-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Mrs Rebbonk's Mum. I hope things improve for her and she is at the least very comfortable and they are caring for her well. I'm doing a quick fix tonight by way of tomato pasta . There's some Moussaka left but I'm afraid I didn't go much on the aubergine part of it so I'll pass on that.

rebbonk
04-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks Gladys. Mum's OK and reasonably comfortable. I believe she still has a dislocated shoulder to be sorted. Sadly, the relationship between her and Mrs Rebbonk is unlikely to improve.

Well, for tonight I intend redeeming myself with jacket potatoes, sausages and cheese sauce. (Picked up some pork and apple sausages in town yesterday and they look scrummy).

Gladys
04-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Ouch, nasty one that is.(Dislocated shoulder) Anyway, I hope the sausages etc do their magic. I am pondering on what we'll have. i have a distinct lack of enthusiasm for cooking at the moment. I think it'll be another quick fix so fajita's will probably be the one tonight.
Second thoughts, I feel the need for comfort food tonight as the storm builds outside. Its going to be home made chicken kievs, chips and peas.

Margaret
06-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Has anyone tried Bernard Matthews Turkey steaks? They're really quite tasty. Nice and quick if you don't want much fuss cooking. I serve them with lots of vegetables, spuds, leeks, carrots , swede and peas and oh yes, gravy .

rebbonk
06-02-2014, 05:33 PM
I've just put a lasagne in the oven and I'm off out for a pint. That'll go down nicely later.

Anyone tried Quinoa? I'm going to try a chicken and pineapple quinoa recipe next week.

Lex
07-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Sounds interesting Rebbonk. I've never come across quinoa (just had to google it); you'll have to let us know how it goes.

rebbonk
07-02-2014, 09:12 AM
you'll have to let us know how it goes.

Of course. ;)

Last night's Lasagne went down very well.

Tonight Mrs Rebbonk will cook, so I guess it'll be something quick and easy.

Gladys
07-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I bought a packet of Quinoa a few years ago because I was told it is the ' new ' food to try. I had no idea what to do with it and still don't.; Hence it remains in its packet right up now. Thanks for the reminder Rebbonk. I'm not a lover of cooked pineapple so not quite sure of your recipe but please let us know how it goes.

Margaret
08-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Big pot of stew today with all the usual veg added, onion, garlic, carrots, swede, celery, dumplings.
Just got to do the spuds and savoy cabbage to serve with it.

Gladys
08-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Margaret, comfort food for this awful weather- I hope you enjoy it. I am not sure what we'll have. Our local butcher gave me a huge slab of steak and some of his very special sausages. These are the options but still not sure which to go for.

Margaret
08-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Perhaps you could make Toad-in-the-Hole with your sausages, Gladys, and have your steak for Sunday dinner.
It's great you have a local butcher like I have.

Gladys
08-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes, the butcher is a godsend. His meat and these sausages are all top quality. I have to say also that these sausages are literally the best we've found yet. I am not a great fan of toad in the hole but that's just me. Maybe I'll do them with good old mash and onion gravy with green beans. The steak is absolutely huge. I've measured it to be 11''x8''x 1''. I just asked him for a piece of steak and this is what he came up with- that and 2lbs of sausages for £10 which to my mind is pretty damn good value.

rebbonk
15-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Quinoa tomorrow.

Tonight I'm doing a potato and leek bake. - Yummy!

Margaret
15-02-2014, 08:08 AM
I like the idea of potato and leek bake, Rebbonk, you seem to be a dab hand at cooking.
If it doesn't require mashing the potato, I would like the recipe. I love mashes spuds, but my husband doesn't, so maybe there is a way of just slicing them?

rebbonk
15-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Margaret,

You are most welcome.

I used this recipe as a base... click (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27583/potato+and+leek+pie)

Mine goes in a pie dish, I add Campbells condensed mushroom soup on top of the leek layer and I swap the rosemary for basil. I also cheated this morning by using a packet of frozen pastry. But it's looking good, crisping off nicely!

I'll have it gently heated whilst I'm out tonight and it'll be just right.

I love taking tried and tested recipes and playing with them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; but that's half the fun. I find that seasoning and herbs/spices are particularly personal. Mrs Rebbonk suffers from scleroderma so I have to be careful I don't create anything too herby or spicy.

Just a quick point, if it was left to me, I'd use a cheese sauce rather than the mushroom soup. But, Mrs Rebbonk doesn't like cheese and it tends to aggravate my gout!

Gladys
15-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Its Beef Bourguignon , mashed potatoes and broccoli for us tonight.

Margaret
16-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Nice dinners on offer, Gladys and Rebbonk.

Does anyone actually eat 5-7 servings of fruit daily as recommended by doctors?
I hope the 7 servings includes vegetables. I don't think I can manage all that fruit in a day.
Though I haven't done too badly today, I have eaten two apples and a Clementine which was a bit on the sour side but I forced it down.

rebbonk
16-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Tonight I'm doing Quinoa. I've changed my mind from chicken and will use ham instead. - I'll let you know how it goes...

Now, as regards that 5 a day malarkey; did you know it was no more than an advertising slogan that got out of hand? (source (itself referenced from the Times) (http://john-ray.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/how-now-discredited-five-day-mantra-was.html))

Gladys
16-02-2014, 04:10 PM
The guest chef on Saturday Morning Kitchen did Quinoa burgers yesterday. It was several types of Quinoa all mixed up with various sauces,Peruvian spices or chillies etc. It looked lovely but I haven't the faintest idea what the ingredients are or where to get them. Rebbonk, please share your Quinoa recipe. I still have a packet of the stuff and no idea what to do with it.
Its roast beef for us with cabbage, carrots, roasted parsnips, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted onions and the obligatory roast potatoes not forgetting the Yorkshire puds. I don't think all of these qualify as healthy options but they taste nice in any event.

rebbonk
16-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Quinoa went down very well, recipe to follow tomorrow

rebbonk
17-02-2014, 09:39 AM
• 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed very thoroughly
• 3 cups of liquid to cook the quinoa (I used 2 cups of water 1 cup of pineapple juice)
• 1 onion, sliced
• 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
• 1 cup of diced pineapple
• 1 cup of diced ham
• ½ cup of frozen peas
• ½ tsp of chilli powder
• 2 eggs, beaten

1. Cook the quinoa with the 3 cups of liquid
2. Fry the onions, garlic and chilli powder until the onions are just softening.
3. Add the pineapple, ham and frozen peas to the onion mix, gently warm through, until the peas are thoroughly thawed, but not cooked. – They have that just picked fresh taste.
4. When the quinoa is cooked, (liquid is absorbed and it has the consistency of porridge) remove from heat.
5. Add the eggs to the pineapple mix, turn up the heat and stir until the egg is scrambling.
6. Add the quinoa, stir thoroughly and serve on warm plates.

Quinoa (uncooked) is a dreadful commodity to use. Spill it and it runs around like ball bearings on a teflon surface. It is virtually impossible to pick up.

The verdict from Mrs. Rebbonk was that it was a little too "sweet and sour" for her liking and when we do it again, we'll miss out the pineapple.

Gladys
17-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Thank you Rebbonk. I must admit that sweet and sour hasn't been on our menu and its something I had forgotten about. Now I have this we'll give it a go.

rebbonk
18-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Slow cooked (all day in the slow-cooker) chilli, rice and garlic bread tonight. - Smells superb at the mo'.

Gladys
18-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Mmmm... Yum. What time is dinner?

rebbonk
18-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I reckon about 9.00.

Mrs Rebbonk has done the shopping, so I think she'll likely want a drink later.

Gladys
18-02-2014, 04:13 PM
If I set off now, I should be just in time to catch a small glass of wine with you and then join you for a scrummy dinner. Mr Gladys can get fish and chips tonight!

rebbonk
23-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Beef madras curry tonight. Cooking very gently in the slow-cooker at the mo'.

Gladys
23-02-2014, 03:50 PM
I did the jalfrehzi chicken curry last night but this evening we're eating at our friends'. I believe its spag bol.

rebbonk
03-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Pork and apple casserole tonight. That'll go down lovely after a couple of early pints. http://www.augiedoggy.com/Smilies/eating.gif

Gladys
03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
2nd attack at the Roast leg of lamb and all the trimmings for us tonight.

Gladys
09-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Goulash, mash and green beans. Yum.

Margaret
09-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Sounds yum Gladys!

I'm just doing leek, onion and pepper, omelette and baked spuds today, with the usual veg.
for afters , fresh pineapple and vanilla yoghurt. think that is the correct spelling.

Gladys
09-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, that's nearly a Spanish Omlette Margaret which I love; Enjoy. (I get so caught up with the spelling problem myself as I have Dyslexic traits anyway.)

Margaret
09-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Well, that's nearly a Spanish Omlette Margaret which I love; Enjoy. (I get so caught up with the spelling problem myself as I have Dyslexic traits anyway.)

I've just corrected some typos in my post, I can't believe I made such errors , I have noticed lately I am very careless with my spelling without meaning to be, whereas in the past I was very fussy about spelling. I'll put it down to my age, a good excuse as any I guess.
:o

Gladys
09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Spelling and English grammar used to be my forte. Not so these days and I too make an allowance on a similar basis. I try to correct as I go but often miss glaring errors. Apologies now to all who may find terrible typos and mistakes in my jottings.

rebbonk
09-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Mrs Rebbonk is doing chicken and chips for this evening.

Last night I did a vegetarian pasta dish that went down quite well. - Unlike my attempt at Pizzoccheri earlier in the week. I actually liked it, Mrs Rebbonk was not impressed.

Gladys
09-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Lovely except I had to look up Pizzoccheri as i hadn't heard of it before. I did Rigatori with a sort of alfredo or carbonara garlic sauce in the week. It went down very well.

rebbonk
09-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Well, the Pizzoccheri worried me because of the cheese, but it didn't affect me. I must admit I did enjoy it.

Mrs Rebbonk complained that the dish was 'bland'! Yet if I use lots of spices or herbs she complains. - Ho hum, some you win, some you lose!

I now have half a cabbage to use... colcannon potatoes? (Mrs Rebbonk rather rudely describes that as a Paddy potatoes! Interesting, as I believe my family do come from Southern Ireland.)

Margaret
09-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Well, the Pizzoccheri worried me because of the cheese, but it didn't affect me. I must admit I did enjoy it.

Mrs Rebbonk complained that the dish was 'bland'! Yet if I use lots of spices or herbs she complains. - Ho hum, some you win, some you lose!

I now have half a cabbage to use... colcannon potatoes? (Mrs Rebbonk rather rudely describes that as a Paddy potatoes! Interesting, as I believe my family do come from Southern Ireland.)

Bubble & Squeak tomorrow?

rebbonk
09-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Bubble & Squeak tomorrow?

A distinct possibility Margaret.

Margaret
09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
A distinct possibility Margaret.

I was just about to add a chef gif, but you posted before I could.
Looks like me with my big pot of soup, only I use a separate spoon if I need to taste it.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cook/chef-2.gif

rebbonk
13-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Pasta with a rich mushroom sauce tonight.

Gladys
13-03-2014, 11:40 AM
The Rigatori dish with Pancetta looks like it might be on the table tonight. Either that or chicken fajitas.

rebbonk
24-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Shepherd's pie and green beans for tonight.

The pie is already made and will only need browning.

Gladys
24-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Oh Yum, I just love shepherd's pie, that is real comfort food. I attempted a Beef Stroganoff yesterday and there's some left so I think its going to get revamped with rice instead of the french fries we had it with.

rebbonk
27-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Steak and ale pie tonight, with roast potatoes. ;)

rebbonk
29-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Last night I did a courgette and mushroom frittata. I don't think we'll try it again.

Tonight I've got a couple of large potatoes for good old jacket spuds.

rebbonk
30-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Had a friend visit Scotland last week, she brought us back some 'real' scotch pies.

I guess that'll do nicely for tonight.

Gladys
30-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Both children were home for the weekend but both have now returned to their respective corners of the globe; one to Bulgaria on the 0610 flight and the other to Warwickshire at 1pm. We all enjoyed a lovely Chinese takeaway last night and as there was so much of it, we'll be finishing it off tonight. Yum.

rebbonk
31-03-2014, 07:09 AM
The Scotch pies were ace! Much better than the local stuff, and much more generously filled.

Chicken tagine for tonight. Already prepared and gently marinading.

A warm through and a cup of rice to do later...

rebbonk
01-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Well, the Tagine went down very well.

Mrs Rebbonk is cooking tonight, she's already made mutterings about corned beef hash.

Gladys
01-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I struggled with 5 portions of fruit and veg per day as the daily allowance. Now they are saying it should be 7. How on earth do you get all that into a day's food intake? Also, do potatoes count? I am wondering what to do for dinner tonight and am even more confused by this which isn't helpful.

rebbonk
01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Gladys, whilst fruit and veg is no doubt good for you, I believe that the 5 a day malarkey came about from a marketing slogan used by the industry. I've yet to see and conclusive evidence of its veracity....

Just saying, like!

Gladys
01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2593791/Forget-five-day-eat-SEVEN-day-long-life-Eating-portions-fruit-veg-cut-risk-dying-prematurely-42.html

Yes, Rebbonk. I'm sure there's another agenda to this like the the anti-red meat brigade for example. 7 a day isn't doable unless you spend all day munching on lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, broccoli,beans, pulses, oranges, bananas,apples,grapes blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. For one, how expensive is that for the average person let alone a family and then if it wasn't for 24 hour supermarkets and the unseasonal demand, you wouldn't be able to get most of it.

Gladys
01-04-2014, 09:55 PM
I was so aware of the 7 daily requirements that I went to our local shop that sounds like 'so what ' and bought, apples, pears, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries as well as a green Thai chicken thing with spinach and sugar snap beans for two. It was absolutely lovely. I'll learn to replicate it and will add extra spinach etc to buffer it but we followed it up with a mix of the berries and cream. Scrurmmy ,yummy but I have to ask again- it isn't cheap and would the average family be able to eat that or similar daily? I think the answer is ' No.'

rebbonk
02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Gigantes Plaki for tonight.

Butter beans, tomatoes and kale. Spiced and served with rice.

Gladys
02-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Rebbonk, you eat such different things. I have never heard of that and had to look it up. It sounds lovely . I'll give it a go one day. It will agree with the Veggie/Vegan Brigade as well. I am going to try to make a Chicken in Tarragon and white wine thing. ' Thing ' being the operative word as I am not sure where to begin at this moment in time.

rebbonk
02-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Rebbonk, you eat such different things.

I now have time on my hands so can experiment a little. Generally, I love Mediterranean style foods as well as the good old comfort foods from when I was a nipper.

When I was younger, I had ideas about opening a small restaurant. It didn't come to anything for a variety of reasons. Perhaps just as well seeing how many go bankrupt!

At some stage I might put my better recipes together as a booklet.

Gladys
02-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Well, I hope the Gigantes Plaki is a success tonight. I've passed on the Chicken and Tarragon thing for tonight and will do a quick Chicken Fajita dish instead. I think, I'll try the other dish when I have more time and inclination. It isn't difficult to do, just that I haven't tried it before so am not confident and we are hungry so I don't want a disaster this evening.

rebbonk
02-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Went down very well. Mrs Rebbonk is sitting there with a contented look! Only thing I might do different next time is to tone the chilli down a little.

Gladys
05-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Felt like comfort food was in order as its cold and wet outside so its minced beef, onions, celery and herbs in gravy bubbling away now. I'll do it with potatoes, green beans and carrots on the side which makes it a bit like a deconstructed shepherds pie or cottage pie to be politically correct. Mmm- with Worcestershire sauce added to the mince of course.

rebbonk
05-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Bangers and mash tonight!

Gladys
05-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Bangers and Mash must have been lovely. Our Minced Beef thing was also. I do wonder though how we're meant to get 7 portions of fruit and veg into us daily? That meal contained just 4 veggies but I didn't include the potatoes. If they count, then we had 5 sorts. I was stuffed and couldn't have fitted anything else in. I had a pear earlier today and a tuna pasta salad which contained a few olives and a smattering of tomatoes. Do they count?(There are a few strawberries left but there is in no way I could have eaten them.) So, if you count the pear and the potatoes, I've had just 6 portions. Does this show how hard it is to achieve what they say? Is it achievable?

rebbonk
07-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Quinoa and 'winter' veg tonight.

Not going to be very 'wintery' but cauli, broccoli, carrots and onions as a start. Add in some garlic and a few tomatoes and it starts to look interesting...

rebbonk
09-04-2014, 10:13 AM
I was in town yesterday and found some good mushrooms and tomatoes. So last night we had pasta and mushrooms in a very rich tomato based sauce.

Tonight it's going to be sausages wrapped in pancakes with plenty of plum tomatoes.

Gladys
12-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Bangers, mash and beans - of the ' fine green ' variety.

rebbonk
12-04-2014, 04:23 PM
A small casserole with dumplings tonight.

rebbonk
14-04-2014, 07:17 AM
The casserole went down very well. Mrs Rebbonk had bought some Knorr stock pots (as advertised by Mr Pierre-White) and they certainly added to the flavour.

Apple and potato bake with belly pork tonight. Not sure whether to serve with cheese sauce or gravy. I'll have to see what mood Mrs Rebbonk is in when she surfaces.

rebbonk
15-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Had gravy in the end last night. The apple and potato bake went down a treat.

Mrs Rebbonk has just returned from town with a few links of sausage!

Sausage, chips and mushy peas tonight. - As a bonus, the good lady has offered to cook it!

Catch is, I have to do Chicken tagine tomorrow. - Small price to pay I reckon. :)

Margaret
15-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Salmon and Chips with vege's , then afters we've got fresh fruit salad and plain yogurt

Gladys
16-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Salmon- lovely Margaret. Enjoy it. I am spatching a chicken tonight as we have a friend coming round. I stud the meat with cloves of garlic and cover the skin with a mix of oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper, slow roast it whilst roasting a tray of different peppers,tomatoes, onions and herbs with olive oil and a separate one of potatoes in celery salt and cayenne pepper with garlic. We'll follow it up with fresh strawberries and raspberries and cream.

rebbonk
16-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Chicken Tagine was cooked before 6.00 this morning. Only needs warming and rice cooking. :)

Gladys
16-04-2014, 12:08 PM
That is seriously organised, Rebbonk. It sounds lovely and a recipe I have been meaning to try but haven't yet. I hope you enjoy it.

rebbonk
19-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Last night I did pasta and mushrooms, it was very nice.

Tonight, Mrs Rebbonk has said it's going to be a 'bitza' meal, as she starts clearing the annoying small left-overs from the freezer.

Margaret
19-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Spatched chicken , yummy, yum, I must try that. I don't have a cook book these days, I usually just make it up as I go along. I have bought some Garlic infused Olive Oil from M&S, so must try that next time to baste the chicken with.
Today though I shall be doing my pot of chicken soup, like Rebbonk's wife , with bitza everything, onions, carrots, parsnips, some swede looking forgotten, so that will go in. leeks, sweet potatos, plenty of garlic, ground black pepper and salt. I try to be sparing on the salt. Shop bought soups are far too salty and they add sugar and cream to some.
M&S are notourious for that adding cream to nearly everything, so I said to them one day, are you trying to kill us off, where's the choice for people with cholesterol and blood pressure, they replied back that they try to cater for everyones tastes. They are always promoting healthy eating, but when you read the ingredients in some of their soups and main meal dishes, it usually high in salt etc. We do buy ready made meals for convenience sometimes, but most of the time I cook my own. When you get to the check out, they are promoting some unhealthy offer like walnut whips or some other chocolate delight that's probably coming to the end of their shelf life. I must be their worst nightmare when I go there. :D

Gladys
19-04-2014, 11:32 AM
For the bank holiday, our butcher got us some of his lovely Welsh Dragon Sausages and a huge slab of Aberdeen Angus Rump steak. We were otherwise detained at our local last night and by the time we came home it was too late to bother with any proper cooking so we made a sausage sandwich feast- so comforting. ( Naughty but very nice ) We'll be having the steak this evening with salad. Tomorrow its a lovely leg of roast lamb with all the trimmings.

Lex
20-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Just put a joint of beef in the oven for our Sunday dinner. :-)

Gladys
20-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Such a nice surprise- we went to meet some family for lunch at the haunted pub I've mentioned on the Ghost Story thread. So the leg of lamb went in the freezer for another day.

rebbonk
01-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Last night I did a beef chilli with chocolate. Cooked slowly for most of the day in the crock-pot, served up with fluffy white rice. - Mrs Rebbonk did approve!

Lex
01-05-2014, 09:00 AM
What! Mrs R is happy & you're not in the dog house?

rebbonk
01-05-2014, 11:57 AM
For once Lex! It won't last though...

rebbonk
01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
For once Lex! It won't last though...

I knew it! - All my fault it rained when she walked to Tesco! Rather frustratingly, I had informed her that a storm was imminent! :rolleyes:

Lex
01-05-2014, 08:23 PM
I hope Mrs R. has forgiven you & you enjoyed whatever she bought.

rebbonk
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Sausage batches! and no, I'm still in the dog house!

I'd got steak and chips with mushrooms planned for tomorrow, I'm rapidly losing the will.

Lex
02-05-2014, 07:49 AM
If you're allowed back in the kitchen long enough to cook your steak, I hope it appeases Mrs R.

rebbonk
02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Hopefully, when she rises today she'll be in a better mood.

Steak's still on the cards for tonight and Iman Bayaldi (sometimes Imam Bayaldi) for tomorrow night.

Gladys
02-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Rebbonk, Steak for us too, I bought the M&S ' Dine in for two ' deal.

rebbonk
03-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Well, our steak was a little tough, but otherwise the meal was a success. I roasted the mushrooms (never tried that before) and they were bl**dy lovely.

Got the aubergine for tonight standing in salt, and the sauce on the go. I'll pre roast everything, then set it in the oven before we go out tonight. - Looking good!

Gladys
03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Our Steak dinner was simply yum- so tender and at £10 for the deal with a bottle of wine, I rather think it was a bargain. Tonight we're having Sweet Chilli Chicken Thai style with rice.

rebbonk
03-05-2014, 09:24 PM
B*gger, seems to have put Mrs R in an amorous mood. I'll not be doing this one again in a hurry!

Gladys
04-05-2014, 09:18 AM
' The screens, Matron. Bring the screens. ' :eek: Rebbonk, what was it, the aubergines, the roasted mushrooms or the steak?

rebbonk
04-05-2014, 09:53 AM
I think, "Nurse, my pills and quick" might be nearer the mark. I think it was the aubergines :eek:

Gladys
04-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Wow, some would say that was a result! I'm not sure I like them or rather the Moussaka I made a while back just didn't seem right. I put it down to the aubergines because they had what was like a slimey quality. Himself didn't seem phased though, he had seconds.We're off to dinner at our friend's tonight so no idea what it'll be.

rebbonk
04-05-2014, 10:50 AM
There'll be no shenanigans tonight, I've got a couple of Cornish pasties ready for the oven!

Gladys
04-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Rebbonk, it could be just simply the fact that spring is in the air. I'm afraid, pasties won't protect you.

rebbonk
04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Rebbonk, it could be just simply the fact that spring is in the air. I'm afraid, pasties won't protect you.

Oh dear, I hope not.

Now, as regards your aubergines...

The reason they turn soggy or slimy is usually because they absorb too much oil when being cooked. Try salting them for a couple of hours before using. Just cover them with a thin layer of salt, leave them then wash the salt off and dry prior to use. This also removes the bitter taste that they can have. I also find that 'dry' grilling or baking them is preferable to cooking in oil.

Gladys
04-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks Rebbonk. I knew that aubergines used to have to be salted and then washed and dried before cooking because of that bitterness but heard that is now bred out of them so its OK to just go ahead. Obviously this isn't true so if I pluck up enough courage to have another go I'll do as you suggest.

Gladys
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
I have never felt so spoilt as I did yesterday. We arranged to go to a watering hole just up the way and within walking distance prior to having dinner with our friend. The place is a traditional old proper pub that dishes out good old fashioned decent food and it was buzzing. The Landlords are gay and have a flair for all things welcoming and I hadn't seen one of them in quite a while. He greeted us immediately and not long after appeared with an ice bucket complete with Veuve Cliquot and 3 glasses. Promptly opened the champagne and poured it for us. I was absolutely taken aback. Mr Gladys decided to let our friend and I enjoy so he stayed on his beer. Not long after another chap came to talk and had a glass with us. He then ordered another bottle (this time pink champagne) and we all three supped quite happily allowing the bubbles to do their magic. My smile had become broad with giggles and laughter shared by all, after which the Landlord brought out a platter of Naans, curry and rice to soak the bubble effects up. We had explained we'd called in prior to steak dinner but he insisted it would help the proceedings for 'driving the cooker' I'm so glad he did because we wobbled along and after much mirth later sat down to a superb sirloin steak dinner. I am swathed in such a nice happy feeling today. No headache at all just a warmth in the knowledge that there are nice, kind people on this planet. As for dinner today, I haven't got a clue.

rebbonk
05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Glad you had a good time Gladys.

Interesting, gays seem to often make a success of pubs where others have failed. I did a serious study on this as an MBA project a (long) while back. Often it seems their personalities that makes the difference. We have a pub round here run by two gays, and most times, you simply cannot move in there. Tellingly, the prior landlords all failed!

Tonight, we have steak and ale pie. - Sadly bought in, not one of my home made masterpieces.

rebbonk
05-05-2014, 03:36 PM
A touch naughty but it made me smile...

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10294336_678615758866541_9079307168554769006_n.png

Gladys
06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Eeek- Terrible. I can't eat rabbit for the fact they are so sentient and very misunderstood. The answer is from neither.

rebbonk
06-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Settled on Spag Bol for tonight, sausage casserole tomorrow.

Lex
06-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately, I'm on the other end of the scale, Gladys. I've got a rabbit problem in my garden, and consequently have a nightmare trying to grow vegetables (to the point I've given up even trying!), plus I have had connections with the farming community over the years, and know what they can do to a field of crops.
I've come to the opinion over the years that the fewer rabbits there are the better - and eating seems a good way of controlling them (in fact, the Normans introduced them into England as a source of food).

Gladys
06-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Lex, I meant to specify the rabbits that are domestic and those bred for the table. The latter live a miserable existence and a stressful delivery to the end point. I have a respect for the land and for farming and I do understand the husbandry involved in crops etc. Wild rabbits are free to live as they do and culling them in a controlled way with a shot gun is to me more acceptable and far kinder than in a slaughter house. Then with missed shots etc, they at least get a chance to get away to chomp another day. The other creature that suffers a miserable life is the battery hen. Free range chickens at least live outside and roam as they should. We should all try to buy ' welfare ' labelled food. I just hope the labels are what they say they are.

Lex
06-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Looks like we're more-or-less on the same wavelength Gladys!

rebbonk
09-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Well, last night I'd planned a sweet potato stew. Changed my mind at the last minute and turned it into a sweet potato curry. - Delicious

Gladys
09-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Mr G is away, so I went to a local watering hole with a friend and enjoyed a very good rump steak at £12 with all the trimmings. Needless to say, I ate the steak but couldn't finish the trimmings. Very very good value for money and an enjoyable evening all round. He's back this afternoon but at this point I have no idea what the evening meal will be.

rebbonk
13-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Last night I did a balti pie. Think shepherd's pie with sweet potato topping and balti flavoured filling. I enjoyed it, but Mrs Rebbonk reckoned it was too 'stuffy'.

So tonight, it's sausage and chips... possibly with a fried egg!

Gladys
13-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Just bought some chicken breasts and am thinking of doing Chargrilled marinaded chicken breasts with salad. Otherwise, its Fajitas again.

rebbonk
13-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Apparently, there's to be no fried egg! :(