PDA

View Full Version : THe House of Lords

Gladys
27-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi, I just heard on the news about the Governments decision to make 80% of the Lords voted peers. Mmm- whose vote I must ask? Also, isn't The Lords by way of born to be exactly what England- Britain is all about? The Monarchy is at its top, so what really lies behind this move? Whether you're a Royalist or not, I can't see that having a Lord Tony Blair, Lord David Cameron and other such likes will balance our voting position for the future. Any ideas?
Ps- I thought the original idea of putting Life Peers into The Lords was to make it a House with Peers who are more in touch with Real Life rather than Peers of old who had no idea what it is tolive in the Real World but who did have the power to make decisions on how we live as with changes to our Judiciary for example. The trouble is from what I can see, Roles are reversing - the life Peers largely now don't seem to live in the Real World but the Born to be Peers often do as they struggle to run businesses to maintain ramshackled old houses as just one example of what I mean.

cathidaw
27-06-2012, 09:23 PM
I reel in horror. Lord Blair/ Lord Cameron.
It's certainly what Blair aimed for.