PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever?...

Shizara
22-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Have you ever gone through all the categories and threads and read all the experiences and stories or even re-read postings from some years ago? They make interesting reading. Sometimes you can pick up on a thread and continue it, years after it began, sometimes you find times have moved on and outcomes have changed.

When Gladys first started her Dalrymple search with little bits of information it soon exploded into a series of postings where doors opened, information was found, we oohed and we aaahed as each revelation came forth. Just because there is a last posting in that thread it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the story

Some of us like to knock a few rhymes together and indeed, some have been made into rhyming tales with each posting made by keeping in theme with the story.

We have seen stories put together by members in a similar way to the rhymes. There is currently a long running thread about an old hag and her cat - check it out if you haven't already.

There are opinions on various topics and events. Opinions are the perspectives of others and whilst they might not always agree with your opinion it makes for a bigger picture.

If you haven't visited for a while and for various reasons it can happen to any of us, then welcome back, we missed you!

Finally, if this is your first visit, welcome to Warwickshire Online!

cathidaw
23-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Actually when I thought WOL was closing I downloaded almost of the 'hag ' srory should it be lost forever. Also one of your poems I copied a few years ago to read to my grandchildren.
iI joined in 2006 and feel I have special friends, even if I dont 'know' them in the usual sense.
I often write rubbish but everyone is kind enough not to tell me.
I hope it carries on, and we get new members. I hate blogs and this is so different.
I'll make a sticker for my car if it will help
Thanks Shizara, Gladys, Mari and mustn't forget rebbonk.and anyone I have not mentioned.

Shizara
23-06-2012, 10:29 AM
cathidaw, you are so right. This is very different to blogs and even FB. Increasing the membership is a tricky one. Yes, we need to do it but also we need to keep topics lively and interesting. The 'games' such as the story and poem game keep us ticking over and I don't know about you but one of the first things I do is check to see if there is another bit of the story or poem.

Whilst we can get twitchy about the spider bots in a way, they can be a necessary evil as they crawl over the pages listing them so that when people Google or use any other search engine it has masses of data.

Thanks to you all for hanging in there, hopefully we can ride this one out and have an increase of active members.

cathidaw
23-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I belong to various clubs including 3 photographic ones. I find that, as with WOL-people come once or twice and then make up their minds. The ones who stay after the 2nd time are usually the ones that stay forever unless 'life ' gets in the way.
This couplets game and others are good to keep things swinging along but in between luckily is the serious stuff. But we do need both.
I'mm still chuckling about the clever couplets and the witches tale.
It makes my day, pathetic arent I?
I havent told you the one about my Dad who became a Lollipop man at 75. He always said he could'nt stand kids despite 4 of his own. He was so strict it was unbelievable .
However digressing as I do......
He had a few complaints the first few weeks , not from the kids but the parents. He'd shout 'Come you little...........I'm not here for the day' and they'd hurry. When he was reprimanded by the bosses he asked them when 'little beepers' became a swear word.
Of course it wasn't really that but he was cunning.
When he was eighty he damaged his leg falling off his motorbike and had to give the job up. All the children liked him and fought to hold his hand , even when he shouted at them and told them off every day.
Hdidn't like dogs either, but after this job ended he bought a dog, and worked as a watchman on a site near his home. He'd shout at the dog who just looked at him adoringly.