PDA

View Full Version : How does your garden grow.

Mari
20-06-2012, 06:44 PM
During March I purchased a rose bush [Rosa Europeana] from my local market stall.
It has taken well, and growing happily in the spot where I planted it, It was only about 2ft in height when bought, and now its grown taller than me, with plent of bloom. The only one thing is puzzles me though, it produces red and yellow roses. Could this be because the yellow roses have been grafted onto the 'mother' plant, so to speak?
I'm not a rose expert , but the Rosa Europeana is normally red , as far as I know.

Anyway it is looking healthy and was well worth a fiver.

The red rose is just beginning to open

Gladys
30-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Beautiful, Mari. I am not very good with plants. I did my hanging baskets in April each one with a pink petunia, purple surfinia and a red busy lizzie. One basket has sort of withered with only half of it in bloom unbalancing the rest. All plants were healthy when I put them in and all were from the same nursery so I have no idea what ails it. The others are looking very colourful and brighten up the garden which otherwise would be very bare as I don't go in for flower gardens with borders because of all of the weeding needed. There is a tall crop of lilies coming up in the pot at the head of the pond which has the most magnificent flowers with a wonderful scent. This should be right on cue in the next week or so.

Shizara
30-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I have no garden but do have a few pots on the balcony and need to plant some bee friendly flowers.

Shizara
30-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Roses generally do well if they are not deprived of water, have the deadheads removed and get a bit of fertilizer. At the end of the flowering and when they were generally ready for it I pruned them as well. Mari, yours are looking absolutely lovely so you must be doing a great job of keeping them happy.

cathidaw
01-07-2012, 01:26 AM
With all the rain I havent been able to mow all of my lawns- Last week I did two and it rained but I have some compensations. I have three most beautiful lawns of real buttercups, just like when I was young and we had a buttercup field near where we lived.I walked barefoot through the them in the rain yesterday.

Gladys
01-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Cathidaw, you see its the simple things that give children pleasure and the memories adults treasure. Incidentally, does anyone know how to prune an orchid? I have googled the care of them but I can't see anywhere where there is actual information on how to prune them. I do know you have to do it when they stop flowering and cut the stem at an angle but where on the stem do you cut it? Mine has just lost all of its blooms, so it needs doing now. Knowing my luck I'll cut it off at its prime.

cathidaw
01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
When my children were very little and the weather was wet, and miserable, and the children were driving us crazy, we would pile them into our old van-Got the picture? 3 kids - no money - and take them to the woods amile up the road, One hour walking through the dripping woods worked wonders, even better than a seaside trip.Othertimes we'd drive to a layby in the countryside nearby and let them climb over the fieldgate and run around in bare feet.or wellies if it was cold.
Children have so much these days they do not realise what it is to be really happy, always desperate for the newest toy..
I went to a niece's wedding some time ago. I hadn't seen her for years.She said she always remembered whenever she stayed with us as a little girl, and it was too hot to sleep we got them all up at near midnight and spray hosed them down on our lawn.
What a thing to remember . She only ever stayed with us once although she thought it was often.

My buttercups are thriving.

Orchids-- horrid little things. I used to have them bought for me . I prune them with scissors to the bottom of the flowered stem -- and they reflower.
I brought one back from the Eden project and it lived on- and on--and on. I put it in the garden in the end. and havent seen it since. It may still be there quietly multiplying to confront me one year with a bed full.

Mari
01-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks Shiz, Yes, the roses like plenty of water , but also good drainage apparently, but it seems to be doing well, it is amazing how tall it has grown about 7ft now, I since found out that the particular kind of rose I bought is susceptible to disease. So will have to keep a wary eye, as I am totally new to keeping roses. I think maybe next year I'll buy a hardy , resistant to diseases rose, I didn't even know you can get thornless roses.

Cathi, I smiled when you said orchid's are horrid and you snip the stems back . I think they are lovely plants. Do you know what colour yours are?

Gladys
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Cathidaw- may be this is another Story- The Orchid Story; like the Triphids-the one that wouldn't die!!! I'll try cutting it back hard then. I just love the beautiful blooms. I have no idea what strain I have. There are two plants, one has white flowers and the other has pink/purple ones.

cathidaw
02-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Mine are--were -pinky purple. I didn't really dislike them -I'd better say that if they're ganging up out there with my buttercups- I found them incredibly boring--They never changed, just sat there on the windowsill -looking. Even when the blooms dropped off the colour never changed.
I had a cyclamen like that once. It did grow though-spread across the wide pot it was in, and then in a wider pot. I had it for 2 years.One day I pulled up the venetian blind -and up it went --trapped. There was only about half an inch of soil attached to the roots ,perching on top of the rest of the soil, like a plate of flowers.
I put it in the garden and for a few years we had lots of mini ones spreading.They were quite pretty. A cold winter finished them off.
Now-roses I love them. I neglect them but love them. I give them a trim if they get out of shape, like a hair cut, but always they come out blooming lovely.my favourites are yellow.
My garden is startling at present with a giant--12 foot mock orange in bloom right now- keeping my mind off the weeds.
Mari your roses look perfect. I'm sure your garden does too. I'm not much of a gardener but I do go out wth my scissors and dead head stuff. I like tiffling.-- also I collect ancient bricks.

Shizara
02-07-2012, 07:28 AM
A slight diversion from the roses, orchids and cyclamen but in the last week I called at Dartmouth and on the way out of the town passed Lidl, then further up the road I noticed a bed of wildflowers. I was beside myself that the council or somebody had thought to plant with bees in mind. A little bit further and all was revealed. Sainsbury's eco store. Arriving in the car park I looked around. Lots of wood in the building and outside signage apparently from renewable sources. The signs were informing visitors / customers about the ways in which the store was eco friendly. 60% of the water used in the store was harvested rainwater, 100% of power used to run the checkouts where your money was swallowed up was provided by wind turbines, but the thing that had the greater effect was the planting of the wildflowers and I thought, why can they not be planted in more places especially roadsides? The bumblees and other nectar / pollen gatherers would be very thankful.

cathidaw
02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I went to the Eden project a couple of years ago.What they were doing but on an immense scale was like your Sainsbury's project, Shizara. They were hoping that many of their ideas would be taken up. The problem is that most companys cant be bothered, Yes they can recommend not using plastic bags, look how that fizzled out - and stuff like that but not the real issue..Rainwater could be used for flushing toilets and for cleaning,for example. I saw how it was done at the Eden p and it wouldnt have cost too much in proportion to what they spend on over advertising their stores. --and all those lights!!!
Years ago farmers had what they called clover fields-so beautiful. How nice if we could have beds of them around the stores like that Sainsbury's store Shizara mentioned.but it wont happen , they are classed as weeds.
Another thought --when does a plant become a weed?.

Shizara
02-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Clover is so beneficial for the bees and for farm animals.

As to cathidaw's thought about when does a plant become a weed? That's a good question because it is still a plant but it's about whether it is wanted or not. There's a however though, because sometimes the unwanted plant or weed can become invasive and take over, choking out the plants you want to have growing and some are very poisonous like deadly nightshade for example, especially the berries.

Gladys
03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
I long to see meadows of clover like there used to be. What has happened to them? Anyway, that aside, some of the weeds have medicinal uses. They have compounds used to treat conditions and many form the basis of homeopathic treatments.

Shizara
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Until I left NZ I had a big, very thick, black book called Vitalogy. Think it was first published at the end of the 1800's. Open up the cover and there were pages that were a head and each page showed you the different layers. Next was the human body. You could open each piece eg the ribs and underneath were the appropriate organs. An excellent learning tool. There was much advice on wholesome and happy living at the time but there were also a lot of photos of what people term as weeds, which, as gladys rightly pointed out. were used to form the basis of homeopathic treatments. My mother referred to this book many times for advice when my sister and I were growing up.

Gladys
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Shizara,Have you still got the book? I wonder if my Mum remembers it, I'll ask her later.

Shizara
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
No, sadly, I don't.

Mari
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
I long to see meadows of clover like there used to be. What has happened to them? Anyway, that aside, some of the weeds have medicinal uses. They have compounds used to treat conditions and many form the basis of homeopathic treatments.

I let clover and daisies grown in my garden, but a bit careful with dandylions , they spread like wild fire.
I don't think of them as weeds, but they are really wild flowers, and some have been cultivated into other fancy flora.
I love May time when the woods are full of bluebells, and forget-me-not.
I believe some wild flowers are protected and we are not meant to pick them.

Shizara
03-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Puha is a milk thistle and native to NZ and looks like dandelion but more accurately looks like a cross between a dandelion and thistle. Often used in a boil up with pork bones and adds extra flavour, My mother used to sneak it into the cabbage and not tell us then serve it up. Being suspicious we would carefully look through the cabbage and generally find some. We were made to eat it along with getting an earful about the health benefits - iron and antioxidant if I remember rightly. It has lots of other medicinal uses such as purifying the blood.

Mari
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Puha is a milk thistle and native to NZ and looks like dandelion but more accurately looks like a cross between a dandelion and thistle. Often used in a boil up with pork bones and adds extra flavour, My mother used to sneak it into the cabbage and not tell us then serve it up. Being suspicious we would carefully look through the cabbage and generally find some. We were made to eat it along with getting an earful about the health benefits - iron and antioxidant if I remember rightly. It has lots of other medicinal uses such as purifying the blood.

Mother knows best eh!
Quite a few years ago now, I made nettle and pea soup, and it was really very nice, I guess it's a bit like spinach and full of vitamins and minerals.
I just picked the tender leaves at the top of the nettles fresh from the garden, where I was sure there were no kinds of fertilizer spray from farmers or what the Council come round and use to kill weeds.

Gladys
04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Nettle Soup is a well known old english speciality. I haven't tried it myself. On from this hardened naturalists eat them in salads and I often wonder how you deal with the stingers. It has beneficial cleansing qualities apparently.

Mari
14-07-2012, 05:40 PM
I think I'll ask this quick question here as it is loosely related, I don't want to start another thread.
Just 3 doors up from us, a neighbour was having her patio and drive professionally cleaned with a machine. We heard the generator noise going for just over 8 hours.
How on earth does it take that long, has members here ever had it done ?
I guess it must cost quite a packet to have it done for 8 hours.
:rolleyes:

Gladys
15-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Usually a powerful jet wash will do the job. It sounds to me as though your neighbour is being ripped off.

cathidaw
16-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I do my own and it doesn't take too much time or effort. I dress up like an astronaut as I get filthy.

Gladys
17-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Mmm- that's agood look, Cathidaw.No seriously, I jest, its sensible as the spray coming off those things and from the drive is quite fierce. I would have thought a wet suit would apply better.

Mari,I do hope your neighbour isn't being ripped off but I can't help thinking they are.

Mari
17-07-2012, 01:48 PM
It's like this Gladys, they finished off the following morning. How could it take nigh a day and a half!
We daren't ask her, because she used a very local company and I'm sure she knows them well.
Anyway its awkward, as we did complain about the noise lasting all saturday, from around 10am till 6:15pm. And to top that as I mentioned, they finished off the next morning. But she couldn't care as she said she has to have it done. She couldn't give a hoot about noise!
All is back to peace and quiet now,.

Gladys
18-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Phew. Its funny how people notice the quiet when its interrupted by noise and not yours at that. Glad you have peace restored.

Shizara
21-07-2012, 07:35 AM
I found this on a website that does driveway cleaning:

How long does it take to clean a driveway?

The average residential driveway is about 1,000 sq. ft. with another 200 sq. ft. of walkways and other surfaces.

This usually takes 2 to 3hrs to clean.

cathidaw
22-07-2012, 02:27 AM
talking about gardens........we were weren't we?
Did I ever say I have a fish called Hoover and another called Di. (dyson) and others without names.. My granddaughter named them when she was little . They open their big wide mouths and scoop up the food.

(A bit of trivia)

Shizara
22-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Very aptly named!

Are fishponds still popular in gardens? When I was a child they were the 'thing' to have. Some had a frame with netting to prevent little ones falling in and fishing by cats, birds and probably the garden gnome.

Gladys
22-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Shizara, my pond is my pride and joy. Its about 4 feet deep and rectangular. It sits about 2 feet or so out of the ground with a wall around it for sitting on. I have 10 fish and we also have one called Dyson. I have a fine mesh over ours to stop Dyson in particular from jumping out as he is very big (14''-3lbs) as are his friends but for the first time ever, this year I had to erect a series of netting and light ropes around it to stop the heron calling anymore. I actually found Mr or Mrs Heron poised about to do a spot of fishing. He or she came back 3 times that day and again over the next week but thankfully realised his wings would get tangled in my contraption. If my daughter was here I'd get her to take a picture and post it but she isn't so I can't. I'll try someone else later but will wait for the lilies to flower as they are really pretty. (A pink aquatic lily in the pond and an oriental scented lily outside it at the head in a tub)

Shizara
22-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Oooh... That sounds so nice. The fishing birds are very keen on plucking a meal from the garden pond as is the cat and netting is the only way to deter them.

cathidaw
22-07-2012, 09:20 PM
If I knew how to upload onto WOL , I'd send a picture of my pond.
How does one stop the fish from eating the plants, or nosing them out so they look such a mess.

Gladys
22-07-2012, 09:28 PM
No, the net will deter a cat but the heron will just wade through or poke through. I took the contraption thingy down today. It looks better but I am thinking I ought to put it back as I saw Mr Heron flying back to the roost in the woods beyond us mid afternoon. I think the fish are so vulnerable. They come up to graze at the sides of the pond and he/she can just peck at them. Due to the size of most of mine I doubt they bird will be able to carry one but still a good peck will kill one.

cathidaw
02-02-2013, 01:01 AM
By trial and much error,I repot mine when they get leggy--any time, I also cut the dead flowers to the bottomof the stem, that way they actually grow and reflower .Sorry but I dont like them, nasty things-- but I have looked after them in an unfriendly way. They're on my kitchen windowsill-quite the wrong place for them andthey get water every day.They sit side by side with a Poinsetta which I also dislike.(they were presents)and thats thriviNg well.Why is it that plants I do like die off.*****
Perhaps they like a 'telling off' voice

*****.LIKE A BAD DREAM WHICH CAN BE WITH US ALL DAY-AND THE GOOD ONES ARE FORGOTTEN WITHIN MINUTES.

cathidaw
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Today it's Saturday-and Gods in his heaven alright. Its beautiful day and I ve just noticed a clump of daffodils which weren't there last week, and the asparagus is shootin up--must remember to move some of it soon. The grass is green and my little garden of pebbles is shining in the sunlight.. And only last week we had all that snow.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lex
01-04-2013, 07:54 AM
It looks like spring's turning into a bit of a lost cause. I planted out some veg. a month ago, and put them under galoshes and they still haven't started to grow!

cathidaw
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
were your feet in them?

Gladys
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Its been far too cold at ground level for anything to be planted yet. I have just seen the first blossoms on the neighbours' cherry tree but can't help wondering if that will be frozen off before long as the cold snap is set to continue for a while we are told. All my plants are still in winter clothing, no buds evident yet. The sun is out today and it does feel warmer. My pond fish were up and ate so things may be looking up but I won't rush yet.

cathidaw
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
what a lovely day today.Too cold for the flowers though.

Green Grow my Daffodils O'.

Gladys
03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
grey, cold overcast again. Brrr- its so changeable.

rebbonk
04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
A few flakes of snow North Coventry at about 9.00.

Gladys
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
A little wren was singing with vibrance on my fence at 0830. He was the only bird song I heard this morning. The usual throng of the dawn chorus seems unusually lacking these days- maybe like the plants the birds are waiting for better things to come and frankly so am I.

rebbonk
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Right now I am bunged up with a cold

We've both suffered over the last couple of weeks. It's hit the other half quite badly. She just thinks she's getting better then wham, it knocks her down again.

Gladys
05-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Hi All and I also hope Rebbonk's wife and Margaret feel better soon. In sympathy if it helps,Mr Gladys has been suffering with the most terrible bout of manflu? I think this long cold dinghy winter has zapped a lot of people especially as we all tend to rely on central heating and often with the thermostat up too high as well. There in lies the problem. It would probably be better if we toughed it out with a log fire when needed but wore layers and even coats in side instead. It snowed all afternoon and evening here but I am pleased to say it didn't lay. I've seen on the forecast for today we may get more if not sleety rainy stuff; deep joy. My fish have gone deep again so I'll go by their forecast as they do seem to reflect when its safe to come up/out. Need I point out that the hatches are still battened down here.

Lex
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I've just been down to the South coast of Devon for a few days. Not a flake of snow to be seen, but the wind was something else - really cold from the North and East. Of course, I come home today, and there's hardly a puff of wind!

Shizara
11-04-2013, 03:27 PM
It has been a harsh winter in many respects and many have been thoroughly knocked around with colds, flu, bronchitis, laryngitis etc. In today's world staff are often 'discouraged' from taking time off sick with the use of attendance policies, so, instead of allowing our bodies time to recover from some of these illnesses we drag ourselves out of bed, out into the freezing cold, go to work and do our bit in sharing the germs with our work associates and customers.

Now, without further ado...

Roll on spring, sunshine and bumble bees!

Gladys
11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Shizara, I saw a huge bee flying past the window earlier on today. It was one of those that look like a zeplin with a fur coat on. Hopefully it'll be OK as it still isn't warm but it may signal the start of better things to come. I still can't see any leaf bud on the trees though. They remain bare other then the cherry blossom on the neighbours' tree which came too early and has sort of shriveled and gone funny. That is very worrying indeed.

Lex
11-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Hopefully, things'll get going now the weather seems to be warning up & we're getting a (thankfully) small amount of rain.

cathidaw
11-04-2013, 09:55 PM
I like theexpression .. a zeppelin in with a fur coat !I had two wrens pecking the petals off my only 2 primrose plants today.They left them on the grass.

Gladys
11-04-2013, 10:11 PM
So they didn't eat them?What children do these days - spoilt ' brat birds ' obviously!

Shizara
12-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Shizara, I saw a huge bee flying past the window earlier on today. It was one of those that look like a zeplin with a fur coat on. Hopefully it'll be OK as it still isn't warm but it may signal the start of better things to come. I still can't see any leaf bud on the trees though. They remain bare other then the cherry blossom on the neighbours' tree which came too early and has sort of shriveled and gone funny. That is very worrying indeed.

Oooh, Gladys, that sounds like a queen bumblee out and about to feed herself and get her nest ready for babies. Hopefully there will be more soon.

Gladys
12-04-2013, 10:55 AM
What can I do to help them if I see any more? I thought of putting sugar water out but I think the doggies will drink that.

Lex
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Finally managed to get my rhubarb, herbs and a few veg. planted out this afternoon!

Gladys
12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Oh exciting. I think its still too risky to put anything in yet. Well it is down here anyway. I am really looking forward to planting the baskets and tubs but one frost will wipe them out so I think just a few weeks longer. I put some Lily bulbs in in March and so far nothing has shown up. The one tub I have an established oriental Lily in is usually sprouting by now but that is still dormant.

Lex
13-04-2013, 08:57 AM
None of them seem to have died off yet, so that's a promising start!

Gladys
13-04-2013, 11:28 AM
It is so odd this weather. I was up at cock crow with bright and warm sunshine. It felt really warm and I thought (wrongly ) its changed at last- spring is springing. The pond fish were up and fed happily which is a first in ages but within 4 hours the temperature has dropped by at least 4 -5 degrees, its cold, grey and wet. Hmmph.... Back on with the coat etc.:rolleyes:

Lex
14-04-2013, 03:02 PM
So far this year, I've seen blackbirds, various species of tit (mostly great and coal), wood pigeons, magpies, AND I SAW A PAIR OF GREATER SPOTTED WOODPECKERS THIS MORNING!!!!!!!

Gladys
20-04-2013, 02:37 PM
We have a couple of Buzzards that fly over head from the woods at the back of the farm by us. About 2 weeks ago, we heard the most awful squawking in the garden. A Bird of Prey had taken down a bird of similar size ( Thrush or speckled sort of feathering type ) and had it pinned to the ground. Not thinking I ran outside at which the Bird of Prey released its grip and both flew off. It was a gut reaction and I know it was nature taking its course but I couldn't bare to think of murder being committed in my back yard!!! Oh well, I told you I am often illogical about animals ( I love them but eat some of them) and this is an example. I have no idea what type of Birds they were. Maybe a kestrel and a thrush.

cathidaw
21-04-2013, 12:35 AM
I had a lovely sighting today in my garden.
A pregnant squirrell.

Gladys
02-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Margaret, that is sad but hopefully you'll get it growing again. They grow fast when they're happy so with any luck you'll see flowers before long. Does anyone know when it will be safe to plant the hanging baskets? Its been so cold at night I don't want to risk it too soon but with the Bank Holiday weekend ahead I was hoping I could do them. Is anyone else going to take a chance?

cathidaw
03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Today I had 13 feet taken from the tops of a row of 5 conifers, beautiful trees but my garden was in shade.they are now about 12-14 feet. What made me -us, laugh was the row of pigeons sitting at the top of the leafless-at present-acacia tree...watching.The tree surgeon said they were deliberately making him feel guilty, although there were no nests in them.

Gladys
08-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Thanks Margaret - I have little clue about what plant does what and when. This link tells you about pansies and planting them from seed. It is a lengthy read but scroll down and you'll get to that bit. How pretty your garden must look and even prettier once its in full flower. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/pansies-are-not-difficult-to-grow-from-seed

Gladys
08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi Margaret, I'm the other way around, I'm more used to seeing them in winter. My Mum always plants her youngsters for the winter so she has colour in all the cold grey gloom. She gave me some last year so we also had colourful pots and baskets.

Lex
11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Did my weekly stint in the garden today - everything seems to be growing like there's no tomorrow!

Gladys
12-05-2013, 10:57 AM
At last! The trees all seem to have sprouted leaves in the last week. Its all so late though.

Gladys
25-05-2013, 05:27 PM
I found an Azealea Japonica Blaauw's pink today. its a stunning shade of salmon and in full bloom. I now have it in a pot on the patio. http://www.portkellsnurseries.com/plantdb.php?id=1016

Gladys
27-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Oh Dear Margaret. They are from the genus Rhododendron. I read that they withstand temperatures as low as -29 so the winter can't be to blame. They need acid soil and must be in part shade as the sunlight damages them some how. They absorb water through the leaves as well as the roots so water them all over in the morning so the leafage dries and doesn't stay soggy. The soil should be of the sort that drains well so the roots don't rot. Is there any chance you can dig the one up that is in full sun and replant it or pot it instead? http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/gardens/azalea-plants-00400000065914/

Gladys
28-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Hi Margaret, the Japonica azalea thing needs acid soil. This is why yours is looking sorry if its in alkaline soil for the Hydrangea. I don't know much about plants at all and everything so far is by searching on the internet. Have a look at that link.

Gladys
04-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm itching to get the baskets and pots planted but it really is still too cold. Hopefully in the next 2 or so weeks, I can do them. Anyway, I have a query about Koi if any one knows anything about them. I have searched the internet but just wonder if a Koi expert may read this and be able to clarify this odd situation for me. Yesterday I went to feed the pond fish. They all came up for food but one 14'' or 3-4lb Koi which is a lady i believe, seemed unable to complete her ascent to the surface. She rolled backwards in a slow motion back flip , tried again and did the same, then sank to the bottom and lay there on her side. Fearing the very worse, I phoned Mr Gladys who rushed home thinking he was going to have to perform a funeral. I duely rushed in and out of the shower by which time he was back to find said fish swimming around with her friends. Her skin is bright, her fins are normal and not clamped, no sores, worms or strange things on her. Her friends in the form of two bigger Koi but one in particular seems to be very closely by her side as in touching as they swim. I have a notion these two are boys. I didn't feed them again until now and notice that whilst she's swimming around she isn't interested in food. I did a water test- all fine but thinking she may be under the weather I added some pond salt to buffer the conditions and to improve immunity. Does any one have a clue what may be wrong? I am thinking she may be coming to spawn but it really isn't warm enough yet for those shenanigans or is it?

Lex
28-01-2015, 08:22 PM
One for all the composters out there: http://news.warwickshire.gov.uk/blog/2015/01/28/what-do-cereal-boxes-potato-peelings-and-wee-all-have-in-common/

cathidaw
28-01-2015, 09:38 PM
I have the tiniest primrose plant growing in between two little rocks.It appeared about 3 years ago ,but flowering in January !!

Lex
29-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Our snowdrops seemed to appear a few days early this year, and the green bits of some of our daffodils have poking up out or the soil for a couple of weeks too.

Lex
23-03-2015, 06:21 PM
I bought one of these compost bins a few years ago, and have found it really useful. It's a shame the composting sessions are being held when most people are at work: http://news.warwickshire.gov.uk/blog/2015/03/23/5-compost-bins-for-warwickshire-residents/

rebbonk
23-03-2015, 09:13 PM
£5/bin, now that is good value.

The BBC site has a couple of interesting articles on making compost.

Lex
24-03-2015, 08:53 PM
I might look those up, although putting the compost bin in a sunny spot and filling it with a mix of grass clippings, general prunings, vegetable offcuts & the occasional bucket of water seems to work well for me.

Margaret
25-03-2015, 06:20 AM
There was a compost bin left in the garden when we moved to our present home, I think it must have been unused for a while as I discovered rather a large ants nest in it, and managed to get rid of it.

Margaret
07-05-2015, 09:37 AM
How can I naturally treat black spot on my rose bushes, the buds are showing now and I've been nipping off affected leaves that have been blighted with black spot. I had a terrible time last year with the same problem as well.

rebbonk
07-05-2015, 11:26 AM
The Royal Horticultural Society offers a few ideas

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=270

Milk might help

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/05/got-black-spot-get-milk/

And a few more natural ideas here

http://axiomathome.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/natural-treatments-for-black-spot-on.html

Hope one of these ideas helps you Margaret.

Margaret
07-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Great ideas and inexpensive too. Except I will have to see what the Horticulture oil is like.

Thanks a billion, rebbonk!

Lex
26-07-2016, 08:38 PM
I've just put my name down for an allotment. I want to make it semi-low maintenance - have a small fruit tree, fruit bushes & rhubarb etc. I don't mind having a few veg. but don't want to spend every evening there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cathidaw
26-07-2016, 09:48 PM
How about a nice shed with a bit of grass where you sit outside with your tea and cakes watching your flowers growing, and others toiling away.
My son lived in a tiny apartment in Eynsham,so they cycled to the allotment for leisure and fresh air,using it like a beach hut. (They did grow masses of rocket-which really grows itself.)
It didn't go down too well with some of the men---all men---who'd been serious veg. gardeners for years.
Just before they moved house, some of the oldies cottoned on, and made their sheds quite homely
My father in law installed a small wood burner for winter days,in his allotment shed

Lex
28-07-2016, 04:54 PM
A she's a great idea. I'm think about planting some herbs as well - in pots buried in the ground, so they don't spread all over the place.

Shizara
04-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Has anyone tried to grow silverbeet aka Swiss chard? I don't see it in the supermarkets and looked for it in the local market but it doesn't seem to be available.. I find that ironic, it grows like a weed and a couple of plants kept me supplied for a good part of the year. It's a dark green, leafy vegetable and you only need to cut what you need.

http://vegangela.com/2011/05/02/swiss-chard-silverbeet/

rebbonk
04-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Never heard of that one Shizara

cathidaw
27-03-2017, 05:47 PM
SOMETHING DIFFERENT..
My friend bought a couple of real portholes from an auction.
He has now installed them into his shed.

rebbonk
27-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I'd love a shed where I could go... Unfortunately, Mrs R is not having it!

cathidaw
28-03-2017, 12:41 PM
obviously, she enjoys your company.